Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Here is a good source for info on the state of current California wildfires:

California Fire Map & Tracker --

https://www.sfchronicle.com/projects...rnia-fire-map/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Still hot but not as bad as yesterday so maybe I'm getting used to it. It sucks when you can't wait to open up the house and let the fans cool it down overnight only to be assaulted by a skunk somewhere close at four in the morning!

Opened up now at quarter to seven and all I smell is a fire somewhere in the region.

So far, LA is only having a few, isolated power outages, mainly due to equipment malfunctions (blown pole transformers, etc.); the city's power system is wholly-owned by the city and we are not subject to outages as much as other areas who are under giant power companies like PG&E or SoCalEdison; the worse parts of the heat down here are the air pollution increase caused by smoke from the wildfires and very high humidity; when I finally got the portable room air conditioner (portable, my eye: it weighs about 80 pounds and, even on casters, it can be a bear to move), I was surprised to see how much condensate was produced; I have a condensate pump setup attached to the unit, and the past couple of days, it has pumped out over 1 to 1-1/2 gallons a day; the condensate pump was installed after an incident a number of years back when the AC's internal tank got overwhelmed and I came home to find a film of water all over the floor; the humidity must really be high to produce such large quantities of condensate...

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 08-19-20 at 08:19 PM.
vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-20, 08:57 AM   #182
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Thanks for posting that fire map website. It makes it easier to see how close these fires are to family in that general area.
Old 08-19-20, 11:11 PM   #183
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Nuke

Update: https://www.latimes.com/california/s...downtown-blast

Hard time!

Quote:
Los Angeles firefighter Andrew Tom hadn’t been inside the downtown building long when he heard the boom.

Other firefighters said it was like a jet engine rocketing to life. Tom just knew it meant something terrible was about to happen.

Seconds later, as flames consumed the room and lapped at his LAFD gear, Tom thought about his fire academy training and what he’d been told about a “flash over” — the amount of time that combustible materials will take to ignite during an enclosed fire.

“They always say five seconds, or you’re gonna die. Five seconds went by. Ten seconds went by ... I was like there’s no way I’m getting out, at all,” Tom said. “That’s where my mind went into: It’s over. I’m gonna die in here.”

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-20, 11:03 AM   #184
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

bad news on all fronts: 124,00 acres from six fires are now counted with 0% containment. 105 homes and out buidings are destroyed. The city of Healdsburg is on alert to the NorthWest (50 miles) is on evacuation standby. 40 miles to the east near Travis AFB and near Vacaville State prison there are fires. MODERATOR Perhaps we should move/combine this thread to Onkel's "hang in there California" thread!EDIT: I-80 was closed for an hour and a Vacaville PG & E touble-finder has died while working the fires. 375 out-of-state additional engine assistance is requested by the governor.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 08-20-20 at 12:41 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-20, 11:27 AM   #185
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
bad news on all fronts: 124,00 acres from six fires are now counted with 0% containment. 105 homes and out buidings are destroyed. The city of Healdsburg is on alert to the NorthWest (50 miles) is on evacuation standby. 40 miles to the east near Travis AFB and near Vacaville State prison there are fires. MODERATOR Perhaps we should move/combine this thread to Onkel's "hang in there California" thread!
Naugh, this too will come to pass

But we will miss y'all when California falls into the ocean
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-20, 12:23 PM   #186
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

cool Most humorous post of year nominee:

We have our priorities straight in Napa! and the owner of the remote Turtle Rock Café saved his business nuthin' a 2500 gallon tank, installed after the 2017fires, and a long hose and helpful neighbors with a fire 'strike crew' can't cure. I've used that portapottie on many a long patrol 'twixt Sacramento and the backroute to Napa!
Quote:
We survived another one,” said Leung. “I don’t know how, but we did. Someone is looking out for us.”
When asked about remaining in an area that seems to be prone to wildfires, Leung didn’t hesitate. His family has lived in the area for 40 years. His home — also safe — is just minutes away.

“The cafe is my livelihood.. And if that goes then my livelihood is gone,” he said.

“I don’t think the county would let me replace that building” where it is now, he said. “If that goes, Turtle Rock is gone forever.”

His oldest son, age 11, stayed with Leung to help fight the fire.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 08-20-20 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-20-20, 12:36 PM   #187
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
bad news on all fronts: 124,00 acres from six fires are now counted with 0% containment. 105 homes and out buidings are destroyed. The city of Healdsburg is on alert to the NorthWest (50 miles) is on evacuation standby. 40 miles to the east near Travis AFB and near Vacaville State prison there are fires. MODERATOR Perhaps we should move/combine this thread to Onkel's "hang in there California" thread!
A bit late for that now because posts will get entwined with each other.

The simpler answer would be for the thread creator to look carefully for any particularly similar themed thread before posting.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-20, 02:38 PM   #188
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
A bit late for that now because posts will get entwined with each other.

The simpler answer would be for the thread creator to look carefully for any particularly similar themed thread before posting.
Aye.

Marie Curie

Old 08-20-20, 09:10 PM   #189
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

A friend sent me this image ... every year it's gets worse

or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-20, 10:18 PM   #190
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendor-Gerald
Can we get a direct report ......
^nice map! The tally stands at 11,000 lightning strikes in 72 hours; spawning 360 California fires; 23 of which are considered major infernos: resulting in a request for 375 additional engines from out of state, as well as additional hand crews. The LNU Lightning Complex(Napa)conflagration now threatens 1900 homes across five counties. Fortunately the winds have been mild; not like the 50+ mph gales that drove the infernos two years ago. EDIT: One of the crucial factors afflicting the firestorm's overwhelming demands is the massive reduction in trained inmate-fire crews who are, in effect, the backbone of frontline handcrew fire suppression. Of the 190 certified 17 man crews, available in 2018 infernos, only 90 or so are available as this fire season starts. This due to the fire training camp shutdown's and the early release of inmates to reduce serious Covid infections in the CA prison systems.

Last edited by Aktungbby; 08-21-20 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-21-20, 01:34 AM   #191
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Update: https://www.latimes.com/california/s...eaten-san-jose

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...uate-wildfires

Marie Curie

Old 08-21-20, 07:14 PM   #192
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Default Heat is turbocharging fires, drought and tropical storms this summer

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO — First came the lightning, with cracks of thunder that woke Hope Weng from sleep. “I thought it was someone wheeling out one of the garbage bins,” the 23-year-old said. Then came the wildfires, mixing with the unbearable heat that was tough to escape in her Mountain View, Calif., apartment with no air conditioning. “I’m hot and I want to let the window open to let in cool air, but the air also smells like fire.”

America is roasting.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/clima...ge%2Fstory-ans

I hope they can cope and deal with this is happening fast in the best way.

Marie Curie

Old 08-21-20, 08:04 PM   #193
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

I have a friend who just lost a house on Mill creek Road out of Healdsburg. Nice place but at least it wasn't the main residence but that is no consolation to the renter. And my daughter is hosting two evacuees from the Pope valley area.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-20, 12:44 AM   #194
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
and I'll probably get a call to prevent inevitable looting during these conflagrations at some point just like 2018; it was a big gang related problem..
It begins: as per my observation in "what are you doing in real life" thread today, a gang of five looters and one heavily armed 'lone wolf' have already been arrested in the CZU fires area in Santa Cruz county where the communities of Zayante, Scotts Valley and Felton have been evacuated and remote Bonny Doon seriously burned over with major destruction. More lightning strikes are forecast for the weekend.... https://abc7news.com/looters-arrested-czu-lightning-complex-fires-santa-cruz-evacuation-updates-fire-map-update/6383133/

Last edited by Aktungbby; 08-22-20 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-22-20, 02:46 AM   #195
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

No more lightning please. Marin has been spared over the last couple of years but I fear that is luck.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, wild fires