SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-04-17, 03:44 PM   #1
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Support Problem with 3D model of Wildcat

Hi,

I have a problem with aspect of a 3D model in game. It was good before I work on it. What I've done : I exported the 3D model of the Wildcat airplane as .obj (+ .mtl file). Then I opened it in wings 3D, I separated it and removed the pilot, then I reassembled it and exported as new .obj. But now, in game, I have no more a smooth surface as before, as you can see :

Why is there this problem ??? How can I solve it ?
Old 01-04-17, 03:56 PM   #2
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Can you upload the two versions of the dat file (before and after your modifications) together with your working obj file(s), and post the link here?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-17, 04:43 PM   #3
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Here are the 2 .dat files : http://www.mediafire.com/file/7jc20x...cat_models.zip

Old 01-04-17, 05:37 PM   #4
HanSolo78
Sea Lord

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 3

Hm...

Looks like you saved the new files in wings 3d with more materials like before.
Old 01-04-17, 06:18 PM   #5
the_frog
Commander

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

I think there are several problems.

One is that the removal of the pilot reduced the number of material associated with the model. That menas before re-importing the model into the *.dat remove the respective material/texture from the material list in "linked 3D model" window.

Also, I guess the model has isolated triangle faces around the wheels, partly wrongly inversed. (one may call this effect of excessive edge splitting :-) ) Repairing can be achieved using Meshlab or something similar; Wings3D cannot solve that issue.

Cheers
the_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-17, 12:21 AM   #6
Wise
Engineer

Downloads: 5

The original model has topology errors.
The reworked model has the partial correction of these errors. But illiterate. Possibly, accidental. In reworked model there are excess (duplicated) polygons.
Cleaning of model is necessary. Delete the old (broken) polygons. Merge new sections together. "Welding".
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-17, 09:44 AM   #7
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post
I think there are several problems.

One is that the removal of the pilot reduced the number of material associated with the model. That menas before re-importing the model into the *.dat remove the respective material/texture from the material list in "linked 3D model" window.

Also, I guess the model has isolated triangle faces around the wheels, partly wrongly inversed. (one may call this effect of excessive edge splitting :-) ) Repairing can be achieved using Meshlab or something similar; Wings3D cannot solve that issue.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
The original model has topology errors.
The reworked model has the partial correction of these errors. But illiterate. Possibly, accidental. In reworked model there are excess (duplicated) polygons.
Cleaning of model is necessary. Delete the old (broken) polygons. Merge new sections together. "Welding".
Ditto.
I had a look into the model myself, and I saw many of the problems stated by the_frog and by Wise

The sharp edges on the top of the fuselage are caused by isolated faces. Fixing the problem is a matter of welding them in MeshLab, or with any other program capable of advanced mesh manipulation. I use Mod Tool for that.

Sharp edges + dark triangles on the bottom of the fuselage near the landing gear, in the radiator, and in some of the canopy beams, is caused again by non-contiguous edges, and by those triangles being "twofold", i.e. being composed by two coincident faces welded together, each pointing to opposite directions. The cure is removing manually the faces with wrong normals, and welding the remaining triangles with each other.

Last, I see some redundant meshes, i.e. meshes which are entirely enclosed within the fuselage and cant be seen when the model is assembled. They don't do any harm, but they are consuming computer resources without a valid reason. Removing them is an easy task.

All in all, I think the model is the result of a quick conversion from a format not compatible with the Wavefront (obj) file format. Fixing it is possible, but it will require some tweaks and a general clean-up. If no one else is volunteering for that job, I will put it in my to-do list
Old 01-05-17, 10:37 AM   #8
Wise
Engineer

@gap
Everything that you have listed, I completely agree with you.
Manual cleaning of the duplicated welded sides turned inside out, is a nightmare.))
https://yadi.sk/d/TQ6ZYJQ3379BKd
Take. I started, and you continue.
I have eliminated mistakes, which on screens. Also, has eliminated errors of a lattice of a cabin of the pilot. For elimination of all mistakes long boring fuss is necessary. It is simpler to make new model.
Old 01-05-17, 01:01 PM   #9
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
For elimination of all mistakes long boring fuss is necessary. It is simpler to make new model.
Wow, really ?
Old 01-05-17, 01:52 PM   #10
Wise
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
Wow, really ?
Certainly, I exaggerate.
But slightly.
Old 01-05-17, 03:15 PM   #11
the_frog
Commander

Hello folks,

tried to clean up the model by using Meshlab's "removal of duplicated face", "removal of isolated faces" and some more of those nice filters (there's one that allows for completely removal of edge splitting: "merge adjacent vertices" ). Well, the results were mixed because if a mixture of defects. In the end, I noticed much manual clean-up is still required ... as Wise already pointed out, the model's state "is a nightmare".

Gap, good luck ...
the_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-17, 11:50 PM   #12
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
@gap
Everything that you have listed, I completely agree with you.
Manual cleaning of the duplicated welded sides turned inside out, is a nightmare.))
https://yadi.sk/d/TQ6ZYJQ3379BKd
Take. I started, and you continue.
Thank you mate, looks like me you and the_frog started fixing the plane each one on his own, and then started wondering if it was worth all the work involved

Quote:
I have eliminated mistakes, which on screens. Also, has eliminated errors of a lattice of a cabin of the pilot.
Do you mean the error in the canopy (i.e. the glass covering the pilot's cabin)? If so, I noticed it and fixed it too

Quote:
For elimination of all mistakes long boring fuss is necessary. It is simpler to make new model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post
as Wise already pointed out, the model's state "is a nightmare".

Gap, good luck ...
Thank you the_frog

Talking about the state of the model, I realize how poor/basic it is in general. Maybe we should take Wise's exageration literally, and start working on a better model rather than fixing the current one.

Remodelling the aircraft from scratch is a possibility, but these days free, good quality 3D models of most WWII-era aircraft are available on the web. For a start, I would like to have a look into the detailed model below, but unfortunately I don't have 3DS Max. Can someone download it and save it for me in obj or simple 3ds format?

http://www.cadnav.com/3d-models/model-10481.html
Old 01-06-17, 03:27 AM   #13
Wise
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Do you mean the error in the canopy (i.e. the glass covering the pilot's cabin)?
No, glasses were normal initially. The lattice (a frame of glasses) had mistakes. Similarly duplicated welded sides with normals in both parties. I have removed this lattice and have made another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Can someone download it and save it for me in obj or simple 3ds format?
https://yadi.sk/d/qWd_7NUg37GngW
There is an original file 3ds, original textures and my OBJ+MTL.
Gap, this plane is good, but... Too it is necessary to work with him. To optimize in game. To simplify. In other words, high-poly to transfer to Low-poly.
His present state is no good. 68.000 polygons.

For the plane it is a lot of. Many vessels have much smaller "weight".
Old 01-06-17, 05:48 AM   #14
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
No, glasses were normal initially. The lattice (a frame of glasses) had mistakes. Similarly duplicated welded sides with normals in both parties. I have removed this lattice and have made another.https://yadi.sk/d/qWd_7NUg37GngW
Yes, I got you

Quote:
There is an original file 3ds, original textures and my OBJ+MTL.
Gap, this plane is good, but... Too it is necessary to work with him. To optimize in game. To simplify. In other words, high-poly to transfer to Low-poly.
His present state is no good. 68.000 polygons.

For the plane it is a lot of. Many vessels have much smaller "weight".
Thank you! Yes, when I read "highly detailed" in its description, I suspected it encompassed "high poly" too
Some other free-to-use alternatives:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/60638/relat...an-F4F-Wildcat
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...2a5e4027d22588
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...a-f6eff7c8ea25
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...a-f6eff7c8ea25

The sharecg model is low poly, but it looks a bit cartoonish. On the other hand the two 3dWarehouse models look much more realistic, but with ca. 100k and 45k polygons each, they are equally unsuitable for the game
Old 01-06-17, 06:18 AM   #15
the_frog
Commander

Hello Gap and Wise,

there are two models in the Pack 3D Models collection, from different games. One is a reasonably well looking low-poly version but offerend only in 3ds (Wise, can you take care of that? I do not use 3Dmax ...):
http://p3dm.ru/files/37_grumman-f4f-wildcat-.html

By the way, converting of Sketch-up models often results in numerous fragmented and duplicated triangles. Same problem is also with Flight Simulator models (if I remember right, Sergbuto's Wildcat was converted from Flight Simulator).

Due to these nightmarisch problems I gave up on expanding my personal SH3 world by converting models.

Cheers