SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-15-17, 08:55 PM   #1
Volsem
Swabbie

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Don't manage to complete torpedo tutorial - Am I doomed?

Hello people, I'm new to this game, and as the title says, I never manage to finish that tutorial/naval academy mission with the few torpedoes we are given to do it.

I'm playing : 87% realism (only event and free camera allowed)
Using these mods : GWX and Ahnenerbe WideGui 1920x1080 Final.

Usually, I manage to sink the steamer that is close (around 800 meters) to your u-boat when you start, but, I need at least two torpedoes to achieve that.
Knowing you are asked to sink 4 ships total, with the performance I currently have, it seems quite obvious I wouldn't be able to complete that tutorial.

So, would it even make sense for me to try to start a career if I can't even accomplish the last two tutorial missions?

Thanks for any advice.
Volsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 09:06 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Volsem!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-17, 12:32 AM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

In the stock game you get a little renown for each tutorial, until you have 1500 stacked up when you actually start a career. In the stock game they are also quite easy.

GWX makes the tutorials much more difficult than they are in the stock version. The very worst is the FLAK mission, where the planes are attacking you. The good news is that GWX gives you the full 1500 renown for completing any one mission, so all you actually have to do is the Navigation tutorial. The rest are good for practice, but unnecessary to your career.

I like to do all the missions over and over until I score an "Excellent" on all of them, but that takes a lot of time, and I'm just crazy that way. With the torpedo mission I chase the ships around at high speed until I catch them all one-by-one.
Old 01-16-17, 06:39 AM   #4
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Volsem
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The
Highly Recommended SH3 > LIVING SILENT HUNTER III EDITION 2015 Mega Mod > Full Tutorials And Much More In My Signature
Steam Conversion SH3 Installation Instructions By BL!ITZKR!EG

The Naval Academy tutorials are not compulsory.
You need to enter the Naval Academy after installing SH3 so it builds your SH3 save games folder.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-17, 09:26 PM   #5
P_Funk
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 128

The thing to realize is also that GWX models damage more realistically so even if you hit a target and it doesn't immediately sink it may sink within hours. The last convoy I hunted I hit 3 ships with one torpedo a piece, two of them around 3600 GRT and one about 6800 GRT. The big boy didn't sink without a second torpedo but the two smaller ones sank within a couple hours.

P_Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 12:48 AM   #6
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

When you really start getting good, you can manage a 4 ship sinking while floating in place. Takes a lot of practice. But it is possible!

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 08:03 AM   #7
ValoWay
Lieutenant

Downloads: 103

nah, no worries, mate! You are free to start being concerned when they depth charge you once you've finished your first patrol! There're enough fish in the sea and you should indeed keep in mind that hitting a merchant doesn't always mean sinking it. You either wait or shoot another torpedo once the rest of the convoy is out of sight.

When you are new I recommend event cam and free camera on in realism settings so that you can find out why you've missed. Having the torpedo crisis in mind it can be hard for beginners to learn and understand what went wrong!

Last edited by ValoWay; 01-25-17 at 08:17 AM.
ValoWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 08:29 AM   #8
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValoWay View Post
Having the torpedo crisis in mind it can be hard for beginners to learn and understand what went wrong!
By the way, how are these random explosions/random depths simulated ?
Old 01-25-17, 03:05 PM   #9
ValoWay
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
By the way, how are these random explosions/random depths simulated ?
There's a slight chance (below 10% I think) of your torpedoes exploding too early, go too deep or failing to detonate when the AoB isn't exactly 90°. Do not use magnetic in bad weather, try below 1000m distance, impact, 90° at night, make readings during the day.

Does that answer your question?

Last edited by ValoWay; 01-25-17 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-26-17, 08:00 AM   #10
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValoWay View Post
There's a slight chance (below 10% I think) of your torpedoes exploding too early, go too deep or failing to detonate when the AoB isn't exactly 90°. Do not use magnetic in bad weather, try below 1000m distance, impact, 90° at night, make readings during the day.

Does that answer your question?
Yes and no. I would also like to know if this behaviour is hardcoded, or if there is a file somewhere with proper instructions and which can be open with S3D. My goal is not to cheat, but to understand how a random event can be created, because I need it for one of my mod (here : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=228953).
Old 01-26-17, 10:39 AM   #11
ValoWay
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
Yes and no. I would also like to know if this behaviour is hardcoded, or if there is a file somewhere with proper instructions and which can be open with S3D. My goal is not to cheat, but to understand how a random event can be created, because I need it for one of my mod (here : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=228953).
Sry, I am not really a modder. I can edit sensors or change the periscope with S3D but that'S about it. I suggest to ask on the mod forum if torpedo failure (dud) chance was hardcoded or not!
Old 01-27-17, 10:35 AM   #12
Mr Elusive
Swabbie

Downloads: 79
Support Practice makes perfect.

Quote:
Knowing you are asked to sink 4 ships total, with the performance I currently have, it seems quite obvious I wouldn't be able to complete that tutorial.
Volsem,

The problem with the torpedo tutorial is that you've got the one stationary target, plus another four moving targets all around you, fanning-out in completely opposite directions. It takes forever because you have to spend so much time catching up to them, then getting into position to intercept.

What I did was focus on just one target at a time. The best way to catch up with the other boats is just move while surfaced at flank speed and use time compression to speed things along. The targets are all marked as neutral, so I believe they only zig-zag when they see an incoming torpedo.

Then again, like THEBERBSTER said previously, the naval academy tutorials are not compulsory. Some players like to load up the campaign and just dive right in (pardon the pun). Whether you do the tutorials or not, practice makes perfect. The more you play, the more you learn = the better you get.

Try searching for videos on YouTube. I learned quite a lot by watching Tailmange and EffingController. I also made notes on how to do certain things, like plotting the perfect intercept course based on a map contact etc. Print them off (or write them on paper) and keep them on your desk, so you can just pause the game and read up for a quick reference.

Hope this helps