SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-29-16, 08:38 AM   #1
Zky
Bosun

Downloads: 209
Uploads: 0
Default Repeated messages and radio news

Hey!

Just started playing sh4 and haven't played sh5 for a while so I'm a bit rusty.

I get repeated news on the radio with inaccurate dates, it's the same news repeated all over from the start of the war and every time I load up the game I get the old resent message about the attack on PH.

Is this a known bug? Or have I done something wrong? I added a bunch of radio channels to the game which all seem to work except for repeating news and I am running TMO 2.5

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Also while I'm at it, is it normal to have sound contacts on the surface? can't recall that this was the case in SH5
Zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-17, 12:39 PM   #2
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

It's a known issue with stock. Some call it a bug, some call it a feature. Those who call it a feature believe it is there to remind you what happened before you previously exited the game.
Old 01-03-17, 01:58 PM   #3
Zky
Bosun

Thank you! That's good to know
Old 01-03-17, 02:17 PM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

It's a feature! An annoying feature.....
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-17, 10:58 PM   #5
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
It's a feature! An annoying feature.....
Could we call it a buggy feature?
Old 01-04-17, 08:46 AM   #6
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Another annoying buggy feature. If you've been damaged before and save the game, the next time you load up you're treated to all the sounds of the damage already inflicted!

You loaded up and are figuring out just what you were doing and BANG! CRASH! TINKLE! CRASH! You could spill your coffee on the keyboard.....
Old 01-04-17, 12:29 PM   #7
Factor
Weps

Downloads: 180

Correct me if I am wrong, but the fleetboats were capable of using sonar while surfaced. Correct?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-17, 02:51 PM   #8
Redwake
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Another annoying buggy feature. If you've been damaged before and save the game, the next time you load up you're treated to all the sounds of the damage already inflicted!

You loaded up and are figuring out just what you were doing and BANG! CRASH! TINKLE! CRASH! You could spill your coffee on the keyboard.....
That has happened to me where I loaded up a save and looked away, then as I turn back the game loads at maximum volume with bang and a smash and I literally chucked my can of soda in reflex lmao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but the fleetboats were capable of using sonar while surfaced. Correct?
So far I can. I don't know if it's accurate. But if you late enough in the war just use radar, it allows you to see the formation of the convoy and from there you can plan your attack.
Old 01-04-17, 02:53 PM   #9
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Yes and no. Fleet boats had three sonar heads. The acoustical head was on the left side of the upper deck in front of the conning tower. Since it was out of the water when the boat was surfaced, it didn't work.

But under the forward torpedo room, extended below the keel were two more sonar heads, one active and one passive for supersonic sonar. This worked on frequencies too high for the human ear to detect and the equipment lowered those frequencies several octaves to bring them to within human hearing range of less than 50,000 hertz.

Now the higher the frequency, the more reflectable and refractable the sound waves are. Also, without training, an average listener cannot identify the sounds! But American sonar operators got a lot of use from their "supersonic" sonar. Manuals instructed sonar operators to remain at their posts when the boat was surfaced unless ordered to stand down. They expected to develop contacts when surfaced. If we're playing a simulation so should we.
Old 01-04-17, 02:54 PM   #10
Zky
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Read somewhere here on the forum that the American subs actually had there sonar mounted at the bottom of the sub so yes the sonar worked on the surface , the germans mounted the sonar in another way on their subs which forced them to submerge to use it. But don't quote me on this

UPDATE: Rockin Robbins had a more thorough answer - but I wasn't wrong :P

Tags
old messages, repeated messages, repeated new, same messages, same news