SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-30-16, 08:03 AM   #1
jammy dodger
Swabbie

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0
Default Radar

Help please ,
I am playing sh3 with no mods just a stock bought disc. 1942 I have radar but it doesn't seem to work. it turns on and off and searches but never picks up any targets even though they are targets near, also how do you select a target for the sonar to give a range to target ???
jammy dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 10:02 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

jammy dodger!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 01:33 PM   #3
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1

It works, just, not very well.
The electronics industry in Nazi Germany was in a deplorable state of neglect. One of the main reasons the u boats lost the war, was because the allies developed sonar and Radar detectors to such a degree that the Germans (Doenitz) didn't think possible.
German radar sets and warning receivers (while sophisticated for the time) were generally crude and unreliable instruments. Any one of a hundred reasons could interfere with the operation of the equipment, including poorly insulated or grounded wiring, waves washing over the tower causing shorts, or even strong weather could snap the delicate 'biscay cross' like a twig.
The first models were big bulky units bolted to the conning tower, and could only scan 15° bow left to bow right. If the target was outside that range, then it disappeared from the scope. So in order to scan a full circle, it would be necessary to turn the sub 360°, a time consuming process under normal conditions, impossible to perform during battle.
A lot of skill and finesse is required for success of the endeavor.
So you, Herr Kaleun, aren't always doing it wrong, you just have dodgy gear.
Old 12-30-16, 01:36 PM   #4
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammy dodger View Post
Help please ,
I am playing sh3 with no mods just a stock bought disc. 1942 I have radar but it doesn't seem to work. it turns on and off and searches but never picks up any targets even though they are targets near, also how do you select a target for the sonar to give a range to target ???
As far as German sonar goes, to get ranges to target, the first thing is to fix the sound signature in your hydrophones, then ping. It's also supposed to be able to detect mines as well, but I've never tried to use it in that manner.