SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-24-12, 06:49 PM   #31
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Simple answer Steam Workshop would require the developer/publisher of the game to patch in the support most game companies stop supporting a game after two or three years.

Bethesda stops supporting their games when they publish a game of the year/ultimate edition once that and its associated patch are released its finito.Even when the patch did no in fact fix all the issues.

I recommend that you view a few of Ghopers vids on modding he explains thing well :
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...1&feature=plcp

Now I myself prefer to manually install my mods and you can do this even with a NMM FMM style file because it really is just a compressed file so any program like winzip will open them and you can simply copy paste.I prefer manual install with management via NMM and FO3edit or FONVEdit or just NMM with Skyrim.

If you do not know how to do this I can show really quickly

1)extract the file that you D/Led if it is a NMM file D/L it manually and use a zipper.

2)copy all of the files and paste them into your data folder you dont need the read mes but make sure that you have all the files and eps and esms

3)paste into your data folder and allow any over writes

4)open NMM or you can use the data files section of the normal launcher but NMM allows you to adjust load order which can be vital.Check off the esp and or esms that you added.For FO3 and FONV you will need to also archive invalidate toggle.

5)Your done the mod should appear in the game

6) for best results you should get FNVEdit and FO3Edit these programs will scan mods for conflicts and general load order.

7)scan your files when it is done create a merged patch by right clicking on the last file then give it a name next close the editor and say yes to saving the merged patch that you just made.

8) go back and check off that merged patch and make it last in load order.
done

9) make sure to fully read the mod requirements many mod require a script extender or may require certain special esp and esms to work with another mod this is common with many of the huge mods.Also load order is very vital as well the edit programs are very helpful with this as they 90% of the work for you and order most files where they need to be.

10) keep the extracted mod files some place so that when you want to remove a manually added mod completely you can refer back to find the files that it added.Sometimes base files are overwritten which is why you need a back up of all the data files mod free so you can replace overwritten files when needed.

NMM when a file is properly D/Led via it or a NMM file is acquired manually should do all the adding and removing for you.You must of course open it via NMM by clicking on the puzzle icon in NMM and pointing it at the file when not D/Led via NMM.

Fallout 3 edit: http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/637

Fallout New Vegas Edit: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/34703

Last edited by Stealhead; 09-24-12 at 07:00 PM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 06:50 PM   #32
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopaman2 View Post
I am no moron either. (despite how I potray myself at times in General Topics.)
You don't appear the fool on GT, you just give a lot of overreaction to news stories. It makes you appear very on-edge.

In terms of the Nexus sites, I have found the installation difficulties to be largely variable based on the mod maker. I prefer simpler mods that don't require script extenders or mod installers. Generally, if I have to edit a .ini, I pretty much move on. Of course, I run a comparatively clean game, only prefering a handful of mods.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 08:50 PM   #33
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I had the same concern for some time and avoided mods that required script extender for a long time.

Finally I wanted to try Fallout Wanders Edition and it requires FOSE so I installed it.It is very easy simply look it up on youtube if you can half way use a PC then you can mod any Bethesda game easily.

There is a stutter remover for FO3 that requires FOSE that worked wonders for my FO3 GOTY which liked to crash left and right while the exact same game but with all purchased DLCs did not.Anyway with FOSE and that stutter fixer and a merged patch the game runs better than it ever did before.

Anyway what I avoid are mods that require tons of esps in order to work well.Most of my mods only add in weapons or armors or change the weather/lighting effects and I use EVE which does lovely things for your energy weapons none of these require SE.And I do not use any mods that require me to change .ini either.

Like I said a back up file is a thing of beauty.

Very few mods truly require an installer all those installers do is unzip a file and put it in the correct place you can unzip a NMM or FMM file and take the needed files and do it yourself manually.

What I look for in a mod is endorsements generally speaking crappy buggy mods do not get a large number of endorsements.I also check the comments and if I see lots of reasonable posts where people have problems it is a no go for me.

The Edit files I mentioned are easy to use and install they just go into the main directory folder "Fallout 3" for example and that's it they really help you with load order and spotting a funky mod.First time I used those I found that several of my basic mods did not jive fully and I then went and d/led the files again.

The ENB and the other crazy graphic mods I avoid those.I think what gets most people is mod souping and running too many and stacking past the 4GB limit of the program or perhaps even their PCs RAM.Also dont get overly concerned about the horror stories often times those "victims" have no idea what so ever what they are doing.

The key is moderation only run maybe 3 or 4 big time mods at most and run only about 35-40 esps/esms total.I consider EVE or Nevada Skies to be major mods.
EVE by the way is amazing and makes energy weapons what they where in the old days of fallout and Fallout 2....fun!

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/42666

I see people that run 140-150 files! That is just nonsense surely they aren't really making use of each of those mods and it most likely is bogging their game down and crashing alot.

Last edited by Stealhead; 09-24-12 at 09:00 PM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-17, 04:14 PM   #34
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Default Fallen in with "Fallout 3"

I haven't ever played this before, believe it or not. I've heard all about it, of course: endless comparisons with the 'STALKER' games, wherein 'Fallout' generally falls slightly short. I tried to install and play it a long time ago but had to give up thanks, once again, to "Steam". Now I suddenly find a "No Steam" copy on ebay and (because I was smart enough to insist that they install XP onto my gaming PC) I can play it without a hitch and with no internet connection (it's the Game of the Year bundle, too).

I'm now going to go back and read Skybird's thread to catch up with what I've been missing; I really think my retro collection is now complete with this game.
Old 05-09-17, 08:46 AM   #35
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

I played both 3, and New Vegas on my previous PC with XP.

After that HDD crashed and I swapped to Linux, I could only run New Vegas, as "Games for Windows Live" (GFWL) has a few issues with WINE.

So sadly Steam is the "Fix".

I would rather have the disk, without having to "activate" a game on the net... BUT, at least I can go into "offline mode" with Steam.

And I did, for a year after New Vegas was released. And that is all I played on Steam during that time. With the possible exception if a bit of HL2...

I will say this about FO3...(still waiting on DX10/11 support in WINE for FO4)

I played Fallout 1, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel...
FT was a squad based "Tactics" game, not an RPG...

But New Vegas gives me the same "Vibe" as Fallout 1 and Fallout 2.
3 does NOT.
While the game is fine, to me, it isn't "Fallout". Well, it is, but it isn't (if that makes any sense).
New Vegas feels like I'm playing Fallout 2 in 3d.

One main area, is that in Fallout 1 & 2, you could literally talk your way through, or out of (almost) anything, including the "boss" at the end of the game. IF you did it right.

Fallout 3? Not so much...
But have fun!

Barracuda

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 05-11-18 at 03:56 AM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-17, 01:48 PM   #36
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Thank you, Barracuda.

I understand how you can form an attachment to a game and then be disappointed if they 'pull a switch' on you in a later edition, but I'm not so much into RPGs, top-down or strategy games, so I never played 1 or 2... but FO3 would naturally appeal to me as a FPS fan.

People seem to have had trouble getting this to run because of a defunct GFWL file which was missing in systems from (I think) Windows 7 onwards, and the game wouldn't play without it. That's why I'm so glad now that I had them take Win8 out of my gaming PC and install XP... I'm just not interested in internet play or activation (my internet connection probably wouldn't allow for play anyway).
Old 05-09-17, 10:23 PM   #37
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
Thank you, Barracuda.

I understand how you can form an attachment to a game and then be disappointed if they 'pull a switch' on you in a later edition, but I'm not so much into RPGs, top-down or strategy games, so I never played 1 or 2... but FO3 would naturally appeal to me as a FPS fan.

People seem to have had trouble getting this to run because of a defunct GFWL file which was missing in systems from (I think) Windows 7 onwards, and the game wouldn't play without it. That's why I'm so glad now that I had them take Win8 out of my gaming PC and install XP... I'm just not interested in internet play or activation (my internet connection probably wouldn't allow for play anyway).

I understand why you like it, and that is great.

I'm not saying that FO3 is a bad game, I'm saying that Bethesda misses the mark on it being "completely" Fallout.

As a "game" it is good. If it was released under another name, I would have little complaint (no game is perfect, after all).

But I should clarify, my stance on 3 is not from an RPG perspective...

I have: Sims -Flight, sub, ship-, RTS, FPS, Third person stealth (Metal Gear, Splinter Cell, etc), Third person shooters (such as Gears of War, etc), games such as Myst, Riven, Myst 3, Myst 4 (which 4 is currently sitting on my desk by my keyboard), Racing games -both of the sim and slightly more arcade type, I've got Chess Master 4000 in a box around here somewhere.....

I've spent more on games than I care to admit!

My complaints on a game are usually when it is poorly done, either in code, or when it fails to adhere to the rules established by the previous games in the series.

I've played several older Bethesda games, the first that I can remember, I had gotten a disk with around 1,000 game demos, mods, editors, etc. And on this disk was the shareware demo of "Terminator: Future Shock". Based on this, I considered Bethesda to be a pretty good game company.

A friend was playing Morrow Wind, and wanted me to play to see what was driving him nuts.... (He would swing a 6 foot long sword, completely through the center of what was attacking him, and HIT THE WALL BEHIND IT, yet cause not damage to the AI. Becaused he "missed" the dice roll. Either use dice, or don't, but make your animations reflect it! )
After I played for a few minutes, I was less than impressed.

FO3 greatly improved some aspects of gameplay, but it still misses the bullseye... FOR ME.

If you like it, then that's all that matters!

As I type this I get the feeling that this is coming across as if I'm trying to change your mind... which I'm not, I'm trying to clarify what I meant. Not always easy to do!

GFWL drove me nuts, using FOSE bypasses it, so that may help you.
Although, if anyone else plays on your PC, the saves will all be saved to the same folder. As GFWL won't be active with FOSE.

Barracuda

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 05-11-18 at 03:57 AM.
Old 05-10-17, 03:54 PM   #38
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

I haven't ever come across these "Myst" games... they look very attractive. I have "Dragon Age" waiting for me to play, also "Oblivion" plus half a hundred others. I too have spent a fair amount of cash, although having come late to gaming I've been lucky enough to find most of the must-have classics at silly prices, because other gamers who've moved on to download-gaming have offloaded all their old discs to CeX and Ebay. A lot of my games are the original CD Rom sets, complete with lovely glossy handbooks... I hate having to look for the manual on the disc.
Old 05-11-17, 04:55 AM   #39
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Myst, Riven (basically, Myst 2), Myst 3, Myst 4, and there is a Myst 5 that I don't have, plus there was an "expansion" that I saw once....

These games will make you THINK. They used Apple "QuickTime" movies for REALLY good visuals, for the time.

I played Myst on a 486sx/25mhz with Win95... Riven on my AMD K6-2 500mhz several years later.

There was an update to Myst that allowed you full "FPS" style movement, but the original plays very well. And the first time playing, will most likely help you figure out the puzzles since you are "staring right at it".

Barracuda

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 05-11-18 at 03:58 AM.
Old 05-11-17, 12:26 PM   #40
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

I'll be looking into this, Barracuda. thank you for the information
Old 05-26-17, 03:03 AM   #41
rigaddict
Nub

Downloads: 0

I had spent more than 100+ hours on Fallout 3, that game had the best animation, graphics and ect.
rigaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-17, 05:49 PM   #42
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Hey I'm looking forward to it