SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-07, 10:07 AM   #1
CaptJodan
A-ganger

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0

Thank you Neal for getting to the bottom of this. I know there were a lot of people that had an issue with both of those main themes. It'll solve some headaches. Thanks also goes to the devs who were listening and will do the best they can to fix this issue. It warms my heart that they are going to try and get some kind of AA and resolution fix, as I'm sure those aren't very easy to fix.
Old 03-23-07, 10:12 AM   #2
Mentalist
Seaman

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper
Good news, developers. Keep up the good work. I'll be sure to buy your game.

Quote:
However, some issues pointed out, like for example the 2D appearance of crewmembers, the random counting by the crew or the eyes popping out from the men’s heads are actually part of the protection scheme. Playing a cracked version of the game or even using a no-cd crack over a legal install of SH4 game triggers this protection.
Can you say "busted":rotfl:? I love the "bugs that go off when you play a cracked version" system. It's the #1 way to get pirates to fess up:rotfl:.

Awesome, developers. Simply awesome. I thought large-scale developers didn't do this anymore.
That's because it's stupid for the reasons noted above. And yes, I have a legit version of the game.
Old 03-23-07, 10:15 AM   #3
Spaxspore
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 10

Quote:

Quote:
However, some issues pointed out, like for example the 2D appearance of crewmembers, the random counting by the crew or the eyes popping out from the men’s heads are actually part of the protection scheme. Playing a cracked version of the game or even using a no-cd crack over a legal install of SH4 game triggers this protection.
Can you say "busted":rotfl:? I love the "bugs that go off when you play a cracked version" system. It's the #1 way to get pirates to fess up:rotfl:.

Awesome, developers. Simply awesome. I thought large-scale developers didn't do this anymore.
or it could be detecting legal imageing software... used for legal purposes....

Behold, the Glory of the Sh4 engine..... Morning strole off Tokyo Bay...
Old 03-23-07, 10:15 AM   #4
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:

Quote:

SK, you are saying that everyone who uses a you-know-what has an illegal copy of the game and is considered as 'pirate'? Ok then, YARRR!! GIVE ME YER RUM!! I´m not hiding it, I use the you-know-what in any game that allows it. I use it because it is easier & faster to use than make a backup of your disc, besides some CPs dont even allow you to backup your game (which is AFAIK, everyone´s right, making a backup of your bought disc).

And like said before, this doesnt work, OFP´s & ARMA´s FADE protection was cracked fast and sometimes it went active on totally legit copies of the game with no cracks used. And the same thing happens on this one. It will be cracked, and as mentioned in the dev´s letter, there has been already case where it went active on a legit copy.

So, instead of laughing.. I think I just cry.
Old 03-23-07, 10:29 AM   #5
ComradeP
Seaman

Downloads: 0

It's good news that Ubisoft is working to improve the game, but I'm still not happy with the way it was initially released, an opinion that is shared by many it seems.

Somehow, I really doubt that the people that complained about weird eyes and the like on this board have an illegal copy too.

As to the whole discussion about you-know and copy protection: most of my SSI (Whatever General series, for example) games could be copied from the disk to the harddrive without any problems. I support the plea from the members that state some sorts of copy protection should be removed, as they're ridiculous. Clearly, the copy protection on SH IV also bugged legitimate copies and clearly Ubisoft put as much thought in that as in the fact that US subs use the imperial system.

I'm confident that SH IV is a great game and that it will be better, but it has a bad start for sure.
Old 03-23-07, 10:31 AM   #6
nova bomb
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

It’d be absolutely hilarious if they made it so that in pirated (arrr!) copies every fifth fish or so fired had an advanced “human player acoustic homing” capability.

Well, it’d make me laugh….
Old 03-23-07, 11:08 AM   #7
Schlageter-JG26
Helmsman

Downloads: 31

Really? My bad. But why would I get banned from an open forum for mentioning you-know? Esp when about 10 posts before me did also?

I didn't think it was supposed to be a state secret that I don't load my discs in my disc drive every time I play a game. That would SUCK, since they are all stored in the next room with my work stuff. And who cares, since I do not share or download them anyway. Woooo, look out! He left the dvd in its case! There's going to be a tragedy! LOL :rotfl:

I hadn't thought to look for a nocd for 2142 until after the last post, but glad I did because now I can use the drive for music and other things and not have it running all the time when I play... at least until the nextversion of 2142 is released.

So don't go thinking I support people ripping off the game. Ubi needs to make some money so they keep the devs patching and hopefully future versions of the game coming out. But for my own purposes, yes, I look forward to not having to run back and forth in here swapping discs every time I change games. For that matter, I look forward to not having ONE program conflict with all my OTHER programs which I've gone to great lengths to set up as a centralized system for the house with instant access (for movies and music) at any outlet. Spent quite a bit of time and money on that home-made system. For now I have to play SH4 on my old FX-53 rig with the X850xt video because of the conflict. And while it "runs", I imagine it is nothing like it could achieve on my C2D with 4g ram and x1900x card....
Old 03-23-07, 11:13 AM   #8
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlageter-JG26
Really? My bad. But why would I get banned from an open forum for mentioning you-know? Esp when about 10 posts before me did also?

I didn't think it was supposed to be a state secret that I don't load my discs in my disc drive every time I play a game if I'm not sharing or downloading them. :rotfl:Woooo, look out! He left the dvd in its case! LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by The FAQ and Rules

SUBSIM Review has a longstanding policy against software piracy. We do NOT allow discussion or even mention of warez, abandonware, peer-to-peer game swapping, illegal download sites, or rip-off websites. Nothing will get you banned faster than pointing people to illegal software distribution sites. Don't ask for serial numbers, manuals, or cracks. Any admission that you have in your possession illegal software can and usually will result in revocation of your Radio Room forum account. Support computer game programmers buy legally purchasing their work. They have to eat too, you know.
And that's that. The crack conversation always snowballs into bad things. It's best left undiscussed.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
Old 03-23-07, 10:38 AM   #9
CptGrayWolf
Commander

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly
Quote:

Quote:

SK, you are saying that everyone who uses a you-know-what has an illegal copy of the game and is considered as 'pirate'? Ok then, YARRR!! GIVE ME YER RUM!! I´m not hiding it, I use the you-know-what in any game that allows it. I use it because it is easier & faster to use than make a backup of your disc, besides some CPs dont even allow you to backup your game (which is AFAIK, everyone´s right, making a backup of your bought disc).

And like said before, this doesnt work, OFP´s & ARMA´s FADE protection was cracked fast and sometimes it went active on totally legit copies of the game with no cracks used. And the same thing happens on this one. It will be cracked, and as mentioned in the dev´s letter, there has been already case where it went active on a legit copy.

Yup, copy protection will stump the crackers for about two weeks. But might give legit users problems for a long long time...

Thomas Voltz, U-93 VIIc, Aug 1940, at sea patrol 1
GWX3 Gold, 100%
Old 03-23-07, 10:41 AM   #10
Spaxspore
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptGrayWolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly
Quote:

Quote:

Yup, copy protection will stump the crackers for about two weeks. But might give legit users problems for a long long time...
Yep, u can tell ubi didnt learn from thier last mistakes IE sh3 and a certain copy protection known as starforce, was cracked less then a week after its release.... sad why hurt the paying consumers .....

Behold, the Glory of the Sh4 engine..... Morning strole off Tokyo Bay...
Old 03-23-07, 10:44 AM   #11
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Hi All I have only read the first page of this thread as i'm just wakeing up so sorry if this has been brought up but when i installed game i didn't have to use key code . Anyone else?

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
Old 03-23-07, 10:47 AM   #12
SharpShin
Sailor man

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL
Hi All I have only read the first page of this thread as i'm just wakeing up so sorry if this has been brought up but when i installed game i didn't have to use key code . Anyone else?
It doesn't ask until you try to play online.
Old 03-23-07, 10:48 AM   #13
CptGrayWolf
Commander

Downloads: 11

Spaxpore your sig is a SHIV screenshot I'm assuming? It looks like a freakin picture, SHIV has some sweeeeet graphics.

Thomas Voltz, U-93 VIIc, Aug 1940, at sea patrol 1
GWX3 Gold, 100%
Old 03-23-07, 10:57 AM   #14
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL
It didn't ask for a key code.
Old 03-23-07, 11:05 AM   #15
Stirling
Swabbie

Downloads: 22

At one time. I had 14 games installed that all needed the disk.

Since then, I don't buy games until there is a nodisk crack for it.

It is unreasonable, and borderline unethical, to expect me to put that much wear-and-tear on my computer and disks for a massively over-hyped 'piracy' problem (the vast majority of those who use pirated or 'borrowed' copies weren't going to buy a copy anyway--that's just common sense).

If this game isn't successfully cracked (or the disk requirement isn't officially removed like it was for OFP), I won't buy it. That's the developer's loss, not mine.
Closed Thread