SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-27-17, 03:01 PM   #31
Napalm42
Watch

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egmont View Post
Recently finding the merchant category in my recog book...
Grrr, i didn't figure that out.

So about torpedo depth? I'm taking a lot of shots on tankers and freighters and think I could use a general rule here to improve.
Don't know if anyone's really mentioned it, but I personally use the "Fast 90" technique most of the time if I can help it, in order to reduce the potential error from faulty calculation, but Fast 90 also has another bonus. If you set the Gyro Angle to 0 by rotating your periscope, you will hit whatever is in the crosshairs (assuming that the target is moving at a constant speed/bearing).

Essentially, you can "snipe" at particular points. All this yakking basically to let you know that most of the time my rule of thumb is to aim just aft of the smokestacks in order to attempt to put the vessel out of commission, or just aft of a weapon turret to attempt a magazine explosion. (Granted, this assuming Real Fleet Boat is installed.)

Even if the thing doesn't go down with a stack-shot, it should be disabled, allowing you to (possibly) surface and put some holes below the waterline to send her down.

As far as torpedo depth, I tend to set for about a half meter above keel depth just to be safe when I'm using contact detonation over magnetic.
Napalm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-17, 12:39 AM   #32
Egmont
Watch

Downloads: 11

Okay, I have improved with fuel efficiency big time. It was definitely needed.

Couple things -

I'm playing mostly for radar in '43 and with a Porpoise.
I'm not taking air battles yet, just hunting freight and tankers.
I have avoided warships for now
Current Career
Started Freemantle, 1st mission Patrol Celebes, added 2nd Patrol Celebes East, had to refuel in Exmouth before completing Celebes East

Took down 12-13/appx20 ships for 64K, could've done better, but ammo and fuel were issues, and missing some shots.

So I took port, two missions and all the ships in one shot and have given the admiral something to think about. But now 3rd mission is South China Sea and it's really far away. I'm nervous, I feel a strong desire for a transfer. Perhaps I'm still doing something wrong with fuel?

So here are the ?'s
Are completing patrol missions based on distance traveled in area, time or both? I'm spending a lot of gas here and kinda guessing.

And I love everything about this game except running low on gas and having to make an epic trip back to refuel resupply is kind of killing the groove. I'm okay with it, but am I missing something here? Getting back to port is almost as fulfilling as sinking a ship at this point. But the time involved...?
_ Sub Tender, Air Drops, secret facilities, anything, there has to be something better than going all the way back? I'm sure this was though of, it had to be!

And lastly, about personnel. I'm not adding a lot of people, and I have extra renown. I've brought aboard PO 2nd, 3rd class and Seamen. Nothing higher ranked. I had some medals to give out and sort of pinned it where I thought maybe they deserved it, but I wish I knew who's truly earned it.
Egmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-17, 01:23 PM   #33
Egmont
Watch

Downloads: 11
Default Adventures in the China Sea

So, I had the most fun ever so far with this game last night engaging two Large Composite Freighters in a night storm. I don't have all the advances in setting up shots yet, but I had time to make a plan and it worked.

The first Freighter is never the problem. I set up a 90 about 800 yds portside and slammed three front torps, a bow and 2 center hits, but didn't effect it's propeller. That one ran for a while before taking water which slowed it down for later.

On my way between the two ships I surfaced, finishing the first ship with 6 near range AP shots, and dove taking one hit which was quickly repaired.

The second ship made a maneuver which set me up for a chance at an Aft shot, but timing was of the essence as visibility was less than 1000 yds.

I thought I pulled the trigger too early on both aft torpedos but they both hit, and then he started out at a run.

Now we're talking big waves at night and rain, fog, etc. I could barely make a shape out in the distance when I turned to my stern mount cannon. Several long range shots later, confirming the hits with my zoom lens, she exploded.

The action was fast, with little time to plan.
Egmont is offline   Reply With Quote