SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-22-08, 05:51 PM   #1
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1
Default UK'ers - Unmissable Film on BBC2

That's right, DAS BOOT starts on BBC 2 at 11pm.

Old 03-22-08, 06:23 PM   #2
KeptinCranky
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

0.00 for me here in the Netherlands, but I do get BBC2, a bit late though, I'm glad I have it on DVD
KeptinCranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 07:04 PM   #3
Penelope_Grey
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

If you ask me... and ya haven't... Das Boot is very missable. Ugh!

I SURVIVED THE FIRST EVER SUBSIM WEREWOLF HUNT - and... I actually won the game for the humans too!
Penelope_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 07:27 PM   #4
Generis71
Seaman

Downloads: 36

Ahh.. caught about half an hour of it, don't want to watch it cos I missed an hour of it already. It looks soooo good, no wonder lots of people here hail it as a classic. Never seen it before, and seeing that bit I saw, I recognise parts of the sub from the game hehe.. also picking up bits of what they're saying.. and I can understand them hahaa... brilliant. Gonna get the DVD. Superb!
Generis71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 08:06 PM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generis71
Gonna get the DVD. Superb!
DON'T!!!

At least don't get the Director's cut. It's 'only' 3 1/2 hours long. The 'Original Uncut' version is the miniseries edited to a 5-hour movie. Get that one.
Old 03-22-08, 08:40 PM   #6
KeldorKatarn
Helmsman

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generis71
Gonna get the DVD. Superb!
DON'T!!!

At least don't get the Director's cut. It's 'only' 3 1/2 hours long. The 'Original Uncut' version is the miniseries edited to a 5-hour movie. Get that one.
True. I got both. And I don't really like the director's cut that much. Many in my opinion important scenes are missing.
KeldorKatarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 08:50 PM   #7
lv426
Watch

Downloads: 11

A lot of the dialog (subtitles) is different on the bbc2 version compared to the Directors cut DVD, does anybody know why this is ?
lv426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 09:15 PM   #8
Sub146
Mate

Downloads: 22

Hey , thanks for the heads up on this , i had not seen the film before and enjoyed it very much , i must say the ending was very unexpected great film , i think i'll buy it on dvd now.
Sub146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 09:55 PM   #9
V.C. Sniper
Watch Officer

Downloads: 1

Buy the original uncut version sub146 and anybody else who haven't own the movie: http://www.amazon.com/Das-Boot-Origi.../dp/B0001XAOLQ
Old 03-23-08, 04:52 AM   #10
von hally
Commodore

Downloads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv426
A lot of the dialog (subtitles) is different on the bbc2 version compared to the Directors cut DVD, does anybody know why this is ?

thank god someone else said that
i thought i was going off my head last night...different subtitles gave a strange slant to the das boot ive watched a few times on dvd!!!

von hally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-08, 03:10 PM   #11
KeptinCranky
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3

I preferred the book anyway, recently finished reading it for the first time since highschool
KeptinCranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-08, 03:37 PM   #12
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptinCranky
I preferred the book anyway, recently finished reading it for the first time since highschool
I find I prefer the book more nowdays too. Especially after reading that director Wolfgang Petersen and Lothar-Gunther Buchheim fell out after the author was not allowed to write the script. I still have the same battered paperback copy I bought in Junior High.
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-08, 06:07 PM   #13
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165

As other users suggested before .. get the uncut version. It's over 5h long. Get anything else and you will be missing out on something ..

Besides, I would suggest not to rest too much on the fact that Buchheim was disgusted with the film. Buchheim seems to have been very unhappy with the impersonation of himself (Herbert Grönemeyer a.k.a "Leutnant Werner" a.k.a Leutnant Buchheim), imo one of the weakest actors of the movie, as well as the role of Kapitänleutnant Lehmann-Willenbrock, a person that Buchheim seems to have been extremely fond of. Lets not forget that this was basically the story of his life, and after having read Buchheim's novels several times, I must say he seems to have been a somewhat quarrelsome person.

Anyway, imagine what this film might have turned into if it had been made in Hollywood, only then you can give the deserved credit to Wolfgang Petersen. In his hands this turned into one of the best war movies of all time (many claim it to be the best), and besides you get to see some of Germanies finest actors of the 80's in one film.

If you have not, you should read the novels. Don't forget there is "Die Festung", which is a 1000+ page continuation of "Das Boot" during the chaotic events in 1944. So lots of stuff if you're a Buchheim fan. Imo Buchheims style makes him one of the best writers I know, he might have become more popular if the german media had not labelled him as "revisionist". Mind in germany that happens to everyone who writes about the war and not apologizes in every second sentence.

Of course it's advisable to read the german original, if you can. I am a bit afraid the translation could be as bad as the subtiltles in the movie, which are extremely lame. In the original they used words of abuse in every second scene, but for the translation they seemed to have deemed this "too unbritish"

I 've read "Das Boot" at least 3 times, the "Festung" twice, and I 've watched the movie at least 10 times, so much that I know it by heart now

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 05:08 AM   #14
moscowexile
Navy Dude

Downloads: 206

GlobalExplorer: 'Of course it's advisable to read the german original, if you can. I am a bit afraid the translation could be as bad as the subtiltles in the movie, which are extremely lame. In the original they used words of abuse in every second scene, but for the translation they seemed to have deemed this "too unbritish" '

Interestingly, the Hollywood movie industry, after its then self regulatory custom, heavily censored the chiefly directed at US audiences 1942 British WWII propaganda film about the then ongoing Battle of the Atlantic "In Which We Serve", directed by and starring Noel Coward. Coward's language whilst playing the role of an RN destroyer commander was deemed by Hollywood to be particularly unacceptable: he said "damn" too often and all said expletives were cut!

Terribly bad show, old boy!

(The lust for destruction is at the same time a creative lust.- Mikhail Bukhanin.)
moscowexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-08, 06:30 AM   #15
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

ha, it was on the Dutch TV yesterday,
watched it (again!)

HunterICX