SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-03-14, 11:21 AM   #1
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465
Uploads: 0

Default Fatigue modelling

Like a lot of others before me, I am trying to create a fatigue model for SH3 that "feels right" to me. So far, in experimenting with the various parameters, I have not been able to see any effect for changes to the Regular Factor fatigue coefficient. Does anyone know when the Regular Factor comes into play and how it interacts with the Specific Factor? Based on my trials, fatigue accumulation seems to be affected only by the Specific Factor. The "X0" and "X1" factors for each compartment apply when surfaced and submerged, respectively. Accumulation can be turned on and off by TC, thresholding at the "3D Views" limit, but doesn't seem to be affected by anything else. Can anyone tell me what I am missing?

I have done all the Google mining I could think of and haven't turned up anything still out there related to this topic except the GWX manual. Anyone know of any other sources?
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 01:55 PM   #2
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi BigWalleye,

I don't know whether you have found this thread already, but in this thread is all I know about it:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...=175645&page=2

Regards, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 04:05 PM   #3
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Thank you LGN1. No, I had missed that one. It answers a lot of my questions. In particular, there is apparently no way to differentiate between combat and non-combat situations (except by the very kludgy TC switch). I wanted a system where I, as boat commander, didn't have to get involved in crew management under ordinary circumstances, but where prolonged combat could cause the crew to become exhausted. SH4 works very well in that regard: Normally, the crew rotates by themselves and the player doesn't need to get involved. Occasionally, you might want to put your best "eyes" on lookout, for example, but generally, you could leave them alone. In combat situations, to achieve maximum efficiency, you have to go to General Quarters. Then, everyone fatigues and no one rotates out, so the whole crew can become exhausted. The skipper has a time limit on how long he can work the men at peak efficiency, as he should. That model seems to best simulate the historical problems facing a commander, as I have read about them.

Now, I don't care whether there are rotating watches or not. I can live without that detail being simulated. But there doesn't seem to be any way to cause fatigue to accumulate faster in combat than when transiting the rear area. I could tuck all the lads into their little beds every eight hours, but that's not a job for the boat commander. There are junior petty officers to do that!

Oh, well. I think it's back to "No Fatigue." Or possibly, adopt the NYGM "combat fatigue" model.

Thanks again for the link. It really has a lot of good information. And makes the limits of SH3 more understandable.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 07:53 PM   #4
captgeo
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 105

being a new player to SH3 and the MOD's that go with it (GWX gold ) I find it a bit tedious to have to micro manage the crew in regards to the fatigue issue,

I hope it can be improved