Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-05-15, 06:20 PM   #151
nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woxor View Post
That's amazing, hype meter just went through the roof!
In regards to manual trim adjustment for each tank or the sinking effect?

I have the files for our first attempt at sinking a damaged boat and basic torpedo trail. Going to record a video tonight (its easter sunday/monday so with family)

The more input you guys can give the better. Anything you can think of that you would love in a subsim, or you think should be omittted something speak up, we take all input very seriously! We are building off silent hunter 4/5 as a starting point by mixing them and then building off their strengths, fixing their weaknesses, and adding our own twists.
Old 04-06-15, 09:54 AM   #152
nsomnia
Weps

Got a 3 minute video and some screenies to post here in a few mins. Note these are just placeholders, just to test out the ai and torpedo bubble trail emitters.

Heres the video:

Some screenies to come.
Old 04-06-15, 09:59 AM   #153
nsomnia
Weps

Screenies:

Sorry about the resolution, straigfht outta the video recording.

Yes there is micro cavitation on the blades. You can just make it out as if the water is swirling around just barley visible, its based on an LOD system we are tweaking and this is just the right distance.

Last edited by nsomnia; 04-06-15 at 12:18 PM.
nsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-15, 10:41 PM   #154
nsomnia
Weps

Got the sub controller code version 4 or 5 (still pre-alpha) half way done tonight. It now crash dives and allows the player to blow or vent the negative tank as well as the proper speeds that nautilus would have gone as best as I can figure.

Tomorrow probably re-do and improve the rudder so its not so jerky and if I have time get emergency surface and safety tank added in.

After that its just features. Make the aux/MBT/trim tanks functional (input, GUI sliders on a HUD screen or a ton of hotkeys to remember for quick action? I dont think that quick of action is needed personally I think being able to see the current tank levels and override them if wanted through a simple slider for each tank would be best, both for the players sanity and ease of setup on my end)
Old 04-08-15, 04:02 PM   #155
BigBANGtheory
Officer

Downloads: 98

modern sub/naval sim with Unreal Engine 4
I'll be keeping an eye on this, good luck gentlemen
BigBANGtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-15, 11:12 PM   #156
nsomnia
Weps

April 8th: Got maintain depth working. Got it to go to periscope depth from anywhere. Got all the speeds working (not tweaked though). Got surface and blow all ballast emergency surface working with negative tank vented boolean. Everythings commented.

Pretty productive day, for the 5 hours it took me to do all that. Soon the fun starts... literally and un-literally.

Steering tomorrow, and probably enough time to start planning out speed based angles and dangles. Or at least just jimmy rig something that works. Oh and find out if steering causes any roll or pitch. Will have to make a pitch and roll readout even if its just the values (still wanna learn how to make a instanced material setup to visually show it)

Note this is just me re-writing the sub controller to be cleaner and re-usable for the next class of sub, and make it more accurate.
Old 04-09-15, 11:43 PM   #157
nsomnia
Weps

Today not alot got done but we did solve a potential future bug.

Our ships were very very slowly rolling pitching and yawing on their own (like one thousanth of a degree a second) but that would mean once I implement my time compression system that adds up fast.

We tracked it down to the mesh/rig for our boats. So for now we are using a static mesh (no rig, primitive shape like a cylinder, sphyl, cube rectangle etc) for all the physics that is the rough shape of the boat and the actual boats mesh with moving parts and everything is what you'll actually see, just no physics will be applied to it except ray traces. (which isnt physical physics).

Its a WIP system but the outcome is looking positive now our boats can sit there (I let it sit for 15 minutes just to test) without moving 0.0000001 (the max range you can test with a float, to test with doubles I'd have to create some custom C++ classes to allow use of doubles inside the UE4 engine they havnt implemented doubles yet.

Tomorrow I get angles and dangles working (based on speed and negtank blown/vented for now) and after that I'll be adding/re-writing features as time allows.

I'm happy to announce FuriousChad is going to try some modelling which may or may not make it into the free tech demo and/or game depending on how he goes about it. (I respect intellectual property, I wouldnt want anyone stealing my models, textures or code from me and would give the same respect back)

No features promised like the manual trim and manual ballast tank control have been scrapped yet. Infact they are still fully functional in my test projects, just not merged with the master yet.
Old 04-10-15, 10:20 AM   #158
nsomnia
Weps

Today I will be getting angles and dangles working. To start they will simply be based off of speed.

Heres a quick update video of something we got working by accident yesterday while examining a bug: walking around the deck and inheriting the boats base rotation (IE if the boat rotates you do too; your aim doesnt stay where it was it moves with the ship but your still free to look and move around)

Last edited by nsomnia; 04-10-15 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-10-15, 04:26 PM   #159
nsomnia
Weps

Got the basics of angles and dangles started and working. Just need to clenaup and rewrite hte function so they work with all depth changing commands.

Heres a 1:30 video with a crash dive at ahead flank and then a maintain depth order.

It came together in 2 hours, my first idea, my first try. Pretty rare that that happens. I thought this was going to take all weekend to conquer, not one day.

At the moment its only speed based but will be merging all my prototype projecst together in time so that we can have the manual ballast tank control affect how quickly it gains pitch (how quick it dives).
Old 04-10-15, 11:03 PM   #160
nsomnia
Weps

The sub controller is done. Done. The last month we have poured 95% of our time into the subcontrolller. Its finally in alpha. We have an ocean 100km x 100km with not a single FPS lost.

Major, major updates to come.

Edit: I wanna add we accidently caused a feature. In creating the angles and dangles we accidently allowed the boat to roll every so slightly during a hard turn. Now we can use that to manipulate things if we want. A) its visual you see a slight roll when turning hard (like no more than 1.5-2.0 degrees lets be realistic) but we could have say crashing noises and stuff play sometimes when you make a hard turn while crash diviing or something.

But yeah, prepare to be suprised guys, I know I'm late on my goal (apr 5th moved to apr 15th), but we still might make deadline (apr 30th) for the free tech demo. You can see on the trello board everything with a pink rocketship will try to be implemented in it in even the smallest ways.

I have 2 secret weapons up my sleeve too that even my partner and team-members dont know about.

Last edited by nsomnia; 04-10-15 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-12-15, 11:11 AM   #161
nsomnia
Weps

Gonnna start rebuilding my periscope code today. When we put our initial draft of our project together it would go up/down and you could go down at any points or up and any points but you couldnt set the height. Fully extended or fully retracted. I need to make it so the keys adjust the height while held.

BTW All the keys are editable in .ini file. This game will be hot-key heavy, but most/all functions will be accesable from the GUI in some way.

Heres the inital draft of the periscope GUI through the observation scope. Let me know what you think like/dont like.

Old 04-13-15, 08:47 AM   #162
nsomnia
Weps

Old 04-13-15, 03:41 PM   #163
nsomnia
Weps

A quick video showing the new obvservation periscope setup in action as well as the GUI and firing off some torpedos with the system we started, they fire forwards a certain amount then take a course bearing straight at a certain speed and depth.

Theres supposed to be FX but for some reason it was disabled when I recorded this.

Old 04-13-15, 04:22 PM   #164
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsomnia View Post
A quick video showing the new obvservation periscope setup in action as well as the GUI and firing off some torpedos with the system we started, they fire forwards a certain amount then take a course bearing straight at a certain speed and depth.

Theres supposed to be FX but for some reason it was disabled when I recorded this.

Just got this when trying to access your vid:

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 04:40 PM   #165
nsomnia
Weps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyDedPoet View Post
Just got this when trying to access your vid:

Sorry I left it to upload and didnt realize the title was too long. Its up now.