SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-15-12, 08:53 AM   #1
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Bots

we all know the starforce, SH5 login flogin we all had to endure over the years. But I was wondering, just how many bots a puter can collect over two years or so, do they slow the machine down. Auto-updaters seem to be the latest trend to control the free world puter, heh. Every little app these day's seems to want to self up-date and Vista loves telling me with a very pleasant and self satisfied "pinnng" updates are available. Then I confronted by yet another progress bar that moves slowly from left to right across the screen, like it's explaining my life away, reminding me of the end that is to come. For some strange reason that I have not been able to figure out, I actually sit and watch it as it slowly forefills it's purpose before my eye's. I suppose in some strange way we are all looking at the future unfold before our very eye's, like some yet un-made "terminator, revenge of the bots" movie.

I'm using Vista running on 3gh whatever with a shed load memory.

fav quote of the day "we all have it coming kid"
Old 04-15-12, 10:47 AM   #2
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152
Uploads: 0

Disable auto-updates for programs and Windows...
Use Microsoft Security Essentials...
Open Add/Remove Programs and uninstall unwanted programs...
Run MsConfig, select Start tab and uncheck unwanted programs...
Be careful of what you click "Yes" to when downloading/installing programs/apps...
Checkout a nifty little program called cCleaner...

And Voila! Future peace secured!
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 02:40 PM   #3
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidslotm View Post
Vista
Well there is the first problem....

Second - after 2 years - your better off (if you have the knowhow) just formatting the machine and installing the OS from scratch.

CCleaner is a very good solution as a bandaid if your not confident for a rebuild.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 11:14 AM   #4
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

thanks guy's, I just found out that to many fonts can slow the puter a lot as well, so I want to get the number down to 150, instead of 350, I don't know where they all came from.

The Ccleaner is cool and works very well, I see they do a defrag as well so this has been good.

I'm OK with Vista, it's a bit over weight and slow I know, but I have been cutting a lot of the extra's out and gradualy the preformance score is on the increase.

The issue with the bots came to me recently after puting up serif movie plus x5, it's alway checking for updates, added to the other self updating junk Iv'e collected it's hardly surprising my puter is slowing down.

thanks