Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Old 02-27-19, 10:07 PM   #3932
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58

This is a LOT tamer than the "official song video".

Old 02-28-19, 06:45 AM   #3933
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 02-28-19, 08:28 AM   #3934
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Icon7 The girl is back in town...!!!

Dido'S fifth album coming on March 8th! Listened in on youtube, I'm happy, I waited long time for this. Her past two albums were wonderful, touching, fragile, her first two albums were iconic and great, al four always have been very melodic. Its been five years since her last one. And her voice is still as beautiful, if not even more so than ever before.

And one has to give it to her: while no longer being the sweet cutie of her teenage years, she is of stunning lady-like beauty today.

And - as far as I am aware - no drugs, no scandals, well-guarded family life instead: she may be a star, but seem to have kept both feets on the ground. Master of her life. And excisting way above the musical crap that is the pityful mainstream today.
I am a great fan, I confess. Since album one. There hardly was a single week in the past 15 years or so when I did not at least once listened to her music.

A fifth album! I was not certain.

Last edited by Skybird; 02-28-19 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-28-19, 10:20 AM   #3935
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

I had posted in the Subsim Music Thread, #3921 on Feburary 25 on the original song Layla, by Eric Clapton. I was remiss in not mentioning the incredible contributions of Duane Allman to not only the album Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs, released November 9, 1970 but also The song Layla, which was the crown jewel on that album. Duane Allman played the slide guitar on that song. Duane's playing was over dubbed so it sounds as though there are 2 slide guitar players at work but it was all Duane Allman.

By placing his slide at points beyond the fretboard, Allman was able to play notes at a higher pitch than could be played with standard technique. The soaring melodies and buttery smooth guitar playing by Duane helped make “ Layla “ the masterpiece that it is recognized as today.

Layla's contrasting movements were supposedly composed separately by Clapton and Jim Gordon. The piano part has also been controversially credited to Rita Coolidge, Jim Gordon's girlfriend at the time but played by Jim Gordon. It has been confirmed Rita wrote the piano piece but was never given credit for it. The claim is also substantiated in Graham Nash's 2014 autobiography 'Wild Tales'.

Layla" was ranked number 27 on Rolling Stone's list of The 500 greatest songs of All Time
The acoustic version won the 1993 Grammy Award for Best Rock Song.

Both Eric Clapton And Duane Allman had been steeped in the Blues Music traditions which would provide the modern underpinnings and basis of classic rock. Where Eric is more traditional and disciplined, Duane is more fluid and plays with emotion. Eric Clapton talked about Allman as the musical brother I'd never had but wished I did.

This is the Allman brothers, Live at the Fillmore East recorded March 12 and 13, 1971. This was recorded a few months before Duane Allman was killed in a motorcycle accident on October 29, 1971. It ranks Number 49 among Rolling Stone magazine's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. This is Stormy Monday from that Album with Greg Allman on Keyboards and Vocals along with guitarist, Dickey Betts.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 02-28-19 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-28-19, 11:26 AM   #3936
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Foot taping music and the Blues Brothers too

or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 02-28-19, 11:59 AM   #3937
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

I just realized who the woman was in the last scene with the Blues Brothers ... Aretha Franklin

or achievement

Old 02-28-19, 02:21 PM   #3938
fumo30
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 15

GIGLIOLA CINQUETTI - Il Povero Soldato

Old 02-28-19, 02:37 PM   #3939
fumo30
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
A classic from the archives.

Great pick Commander.

Here's more of Blues Images

Blues Image - Take Me

Last edited by fumo30; 02-28-19 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-28-19, 05:08 PM   #3940
fumo30
Grey Wolf

Estelle Levitt - All I Dream

Old 02-28-19, 05:15 PM   #3941
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenwurst View Post
I'll see your "Sweet Charity", and raise you "Flashdance", with the world's sexiest boilermaker "Alex" and friends.
The dance numbers, for which the movie is best known, were actually not primarily performed by the film's star, Jennifer Beals; any dance scenes where you do not see Beals in full figure, in full face, above the waist, in backlit silhouette, or without her face being obscured by her curly hair, were actually preformed by Marine Jahan, a professional dancer who did not receive on screen credit for her performance(s); Jahan, however did get to recreate the Flashdance routines, as herself, during the 1987 Super Bowl halftime show...

Another interesting note is, in the final dance scene where Beal's character does a dance audition, the break dance sequences were actually performed by a man wearing a wig...

About 2:30 into the video you posted, there is a scene of a shorthaired, blonde, dancer; the young lady is Cynthia Rhodes, a professional dancer an actress. I met her once, via a choreographer friend of mine and we had a very nice conversation; she was a very nice person person and very interesting. Rhodes is probably best known a the dancer who appears in the Toto video for their song Rosanna:

If you look carefully, you can see Patrick Swayze as one of the street toughs in t-shirts, before his dancing got dirty...

Rosanna was released in 1982, the same year Michael Jackson's Thriller was released, which feature members of Toto as his studio band...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Foot taping music and the Blues Brothers too

This clip has the full performance of John Lee Hooker for the Blues Brothers film, along with stills from the production:

Whenever I see the film and it gets to JLH's part, it reminds me of how an ex of mine, who put up with my interest in the Blues with great patience, told me how she was able to use the rubbed off knowledge to her advantage; shortly after we had broken up, she went on a date with a guy who was trying to impress her with his musical knowledge, much to her annoyance; when the JLH scene came up, he asked her, smugly, "Do you know who that is?"; she immediately shot back, "Yeah, its John Lee Hooker, the song is Boom, Boom, and he's playing on Maxwell St."; she told me he sulked through the rest of the date...

Quote:
I just realized who the woman was in the last scene with the Blues Brothers ... Aretha Franklin

Shame on you for not knowing...

Say, did you ever date my ex...

<O>
Old 02-28-19, 06:56 PM   #3942
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumo30 View Post
Great pick Commander.

Here's more of Blues Images

Blues Image - Take Me

Thank you Fumo. Good music as well from Blues Image. I had never heard this song. I'm really enjoying all the great music being posted by our members, including yourself, so keep it up everyone.

How about something from Delbert McClinton with an old time feel to it ? This is " Every time I roll the dice. "

Live Version.

Studio Version

~Enjoy~
Old 02-28-19, 08:08 PM   #3943
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post

Quote:
Shame on you for not knowing...

Say, did you ever date my ex...

<O>
Your ex was a dumb blonde?

I was married to one one time
or achievement

Old 02-28-19, 08:56 PM   #3944
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Nah, I've been fortunate and have avoided dumb women (or 'Bimbos", in the parlance), although almost all my ex's have been blonde, and, by some odd coincidence, almost all of them are left-handed...

Can't abide dumb women or dumb people in general. The ex I was referring to is a teacher and knows a hell of a lot more about things I never heard of; smart women make life interesting...

<O>
Old 03-01-19, 07:10 AM   #3945
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Closed Thread

Tags
music