SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-08-12, 09:13 AM   #76
Pintea
Sparky

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGREG View Post
This is what I can do for the seabed:

- Add more varieties of plants
- Improving the quality of textures
- Add small animals (seahorse seastar ...) meshes attached to plants/rocks
- Add fishes (static) same as above

or use a part of the plants (there are three distinctive meshes) -> replaced by fishes, and animation possible via the. Sim
(I tried with a rotation, and this like, has a shoal of fishes)

Voila
That sounds great, but be careful about the triangle count since it may affect performance seriously. The plants are multiplied quite a bit in order to make the bottom look good.
Pintea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-12, 09:16 AM   #77
Pintea
Sparky

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
If it were me I would scale the plants and rocks down so they look realistic. Right now the plants look like gigantic kelp beds scattered about and the rocks looks like underwater mountains compared to the units in game
Yeah the reason for that is to give a bigger seabed coverage with plants and rocks.

If they were made realistically we would have had to render hundreds of thousands of plants to cover the seabed and that wasn't plausible in order to keep decent performance.
The same was done for land, where trees are 2x-6x bigger than in reality...just a trick to be able to render fewer trees/plants.
Pintea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-12, 09:29 AM   #78
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 155

For adding more variety of plants ,i don't need to add meshes ,But just relocate the UVW of the texture (The texture used as 128*1024 format and use the same location of the texture and i have make one in 1024*1024 to have more place )
and for one plant is just ~12 faces used

"Better watch where you do not go, because where were going, we will know what it is when we get there, and anyway, it will never be only water."

Proverbe Shadok

Last edited by BIGREG; 06-08-12 at 09:42 AM.
BIGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-12, 09:54 AM   #79
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Salut Bigreg,

tu peux lire mes annotations dans ton texte:

This is what I can do for the seabed:

- Add more varieties of plants
- Improving the quality of textures

If you like them, you can use as well the HD seaplant textures contained in Dynamic Environment. I noticed that some of the textures contained in stock (and DynEnv's) seabed01.dds, are never used in game. Maybe because there are 9 different textures for only 3 meshes .

- Add small animals (seahorse seastar ...) meshes attached to plants
In the last few days I've downloaded many royalty free meshes for seahorses, seastars, seashells, etc. I can't remember from wich websites I got all of them, but if you need them just PM me, and I'll send them to you.

- Add fishes (static) same as above

or use a part of the plants (there are three distinctive meshes) -> replaced by fishes, and animation possible via the. Sim
(I tried with a rotation, and this like, has a shoal of fishes)

This one would be the last chance. I remember Stoianm had used the same workaround for rendering fishes in game, but they were looking a bit weird: trasparent, rippling, etc. Before applying this method, why don't you do a test with an existing animated dat unit, like a dolphin or a whale? If I didn't misunderstand one of the last posts by Pintea, he said that though without warranties of succes, it could be worth carrying such a test.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-12, 10:28 AM   #80
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Hi Gap

Quote:
If you like them, you can use as well the HD seaplant textures contained in Dynamic Environment. I noticed that some of the textures contained in stock (and DynEnv's) seabed01.dds, are never used in game. Maybe because there are 9 different textures for only 3 meshes .
Yes,i get take a look in Dyn Env
For the textures use,yes 9 "pictures" per meshes ,but meshes contain many plants and i can make one by one (size,"picture" used)
But is a big work for a man alone But "impossible",it's not french )

Quote:
In the last few days I've downloaded many royalty free meshes for seahorses, seastars, seashells, etc. I can't remember from wich websites I got all of them, but if you need them just PM me, and I'll send them to you.
Dito i have more 2.5 GO 3D objects now (food,weapons,etc,etc,ect...) and same with textures Here a good site : http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/3D-...sort_column=A5

Quote:
This one would be the last chance. I remember Stoianm had used the same workaround for rendering fishes in game, but they were looking a bit weird: trasparent, rippling, etc. Before applying this method, why don't you do a test with an existing animated dat unit, like a dolphin or a whale? If I didn't misunderstand one of the last posts by Pintea, he said that though without warranties of succes, it could be worth carrying such a test.
This is not a chance i have try,and that work fine (just i wait the next TDW editor (for attribute the maps)
For DAT : I need to know where to attach (in which file I can attach the .dat to the bone in the .gr2) .
For the U-boat it's not a problem, we have the UPC files , But for seabed ...?

"Better watch where you do not go, because where were going, we will know what it is when we get there, and anyway, it will never be only water."

Proverbe Shadok

Last edited by BIGREG; 06-08-12 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-08-12, 11:13 AM   #81
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
This is not a chance i have try,and that work fine (just i wait the next TDW editor (for attribute the maps)
For DAT : I need to know where to attach (in which file I can attach the .dat to the bone in the .gr2) .
You would need to assign the bone's ID in the GR2 file to the DAT object's parent ID (which is probably 0x0 now). You can get the bone's ID by opening the GR2 file in Goblin, selecting the bone, and then right clicking the bone and selecting edit controllers. The ID is displayed in the top of the window (remember Intel hex little endian rules when reading the ID!)
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-12, 11:18 AM   #82
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Why, I did not thought

Quote:
(remember Intel hex little endian rules when reading the ID!)
Yes that remenber me the needles...

Proverbe Shadok
Old 06-08-12, 11:48 AM   #83
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Hi Gap

Yes,i get take a look in Dyn Env
For the textures use,yes 9 "pictures" per meshes ,but meshes contain many plants and i can make one by one (size,"picture" used)
But is a big work for a man alone
Good, I can't wait to see the new plants.
As said before, feel free to use DynEnv seaplants textures. North Atlantic and Mediterranean versions are by me, whereas tropical version is by Entherberge. Nevetheless I think he, as me and Stoianm, got no problem either to give you his permission. Also don't exitate to get in touch with me, if you need me to alleviate part of your graphical work.

Quote:
But "impossible",it's not french )
weird, I ever thought that "impossible" was a term of the french dictionary as well

Quote:
Dito i have more 2.5 GO 3D objects now (food,weapons,etc,etc,ect...) and same with textures Here a good site : http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/3D-...sort_column=A5
yep, I know that website. Did you have a look at this one too: http://model.3dcool.net

Quote:
For the U-boat it's not a problem, we have the UPC files , But for seabed ...?
I see TDW replied already to your question
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-12, 12:53 PM   #84
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Quote:
weird, I ever thought that "impossible" was a term of the french dictionary as well
No it's just a recurrent typo error

Quote:
yep, I know that website. Did you have a look at this one too: http://model.3dcool.net
Merci

Quote:
I see TDW replied already to your question
as always ,But i have no experience with the .DAT file and even less with animations It'll be necessary that I learn on the pile

Proverbe Shadok
Old 06-08-12, 01:06 PM   #85
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
But i have no experience with the .DAT file and even less with animations
DAT files are a snap compared to GR2 files Objects are defined by (as viewed in Hex editor):

That byte prefix means object

the next 4 bytes define the size of the object chunk:

The next 8 bytes is the object's ID. The next 8 bytes after that is it's parent ID. The next 8 bytes after that is the 3D model ID
Old 06-08-12, 01:25 PM   #86
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Thank TDW

I will try to attach a. DAT, but it is not guaranteed

But,first I'll redo already plants and rocks

and do you think ,that get not take to many resource (CPU/GPU/RAM)

Proverbe Shadok
Old 06-08-12, 03:04 PM   #87
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Thank TDW

I will try to attach a. DAT, but it is not guaranteed

But,first I'll redo already plants and rocks

and do you think ,that get not take to many resource (CPU/GPU/RAM)
As long as you keep the vertice count low you should be ok It's going to have an impact on FPS no matter what because you are adding vertices. Now it's how many times those added vertices are rendered is the key

Still working on the maps. Currently adding the ability to define the maps when you create the new material.
Old 06-08-12, 04:31 PM   #88
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Make the rocks half the size . Get rid of the plants and add the fish .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-12, 04:32 PM   #89
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

I am currently in the UVW
I try to arrange the plants by size, with of course the proper ratio: size image/mesh (faces)

Sharply or greatly-> "Vivement" , that you manage to correct the maps problem

Proverbe Shadok
Old 06-08-12, 05:50 PM   #90
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Sharply or greatly-> "Vivement" , that you manage to correct the maps problem
Still working on it. Just finished up the UI (actually changed the existing add material UI to accomodate being able to define maps). Now have to add the code for handling adding of maps to a material