Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Never heard "Stormy Monday"... enjoyed that, CW
Old 03-12-17, 09:16 AM   #1067
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 03-12-17, 10:57 AM   #1068
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
Never heard "Stormy Monday"... enjoyed that, CW

I'm glad you liked it Eichhörnchen. That version of Stormy Monday was from the Album, " Allman Brothers, Live at the Fillmore East. It is literally 46 years old today having been recorded on March 12-13, 1971 and was recorded in New York City and the album was released in July of 1971.

It is considered by many critics to be the best live album ever recorded. It featured the incomparable Duane Allman and Dicky Betts on lead guitar in various parts. The Allman Brothers band were paid $ 1250 for each night. It was Duane Allman's slide guitar work on Eric Clapton's Layla song and the Album, " Layla and other assorted love songs that moved Clapton to ask Duane Allman to join Derek and the Dominoes.

Hearing Stormy Monday by the Allman Brothers years later inspired me to learn to play guitar although I can't play like Duane.

This is Another from live at the Fillmore East Featuring Duane Allman playing Slide Guitar on his Gibson Les Paul and Greg Allman on Vocals and keyboard.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 03-12-17 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-12-17, 07:05 PM   #1069
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Hearing Stormy Monday by the Allmans may have inspired you to pick up the guitar, but hearing Stormy Monday by the original artist inspired musicians like B. B. King and others to pick up the guitar long before the Allmans knew how to even tune a guitar. In 1947, 70 years ago this year, the great T-Bone Walker wrote and recorded the song:

T-Bone was one of the true electric 'root blues' originators who, along with jazz players like Charlie Christian, took the electric guitar from being mainly a comping instrument in the background of a larger band and made it into a singular voice of its own. Much like the manner in which Chuck Berry and his riffs and licks wrote the 'bible' for rock guitarists, Walker laid the foundations for electric blues guitar. Go to YouTube and search for "Stormy Monday blues"; the vast number of versions and the varied genres is impressive. There are versions performed live by Cream and a live jam between SRV and Albert King, not to overlook a version by B. B. himself from "Austin City Limits". T-bone's influence was not just musical, but, also, stylistic: T-Bones stage act included such tricks as playing the guitar behind his head or back, 'picking' with his teeth, and playing solos while doing the splits; I seem to recall some fellow, Jimi I believe his name was, adopting those and other techniques from T-Bone...

A long time ago, I heard somewhere someone referring to how one can best learn how to master an art; he said it is important not just to know what you can learn from your teacher, but also what you can learn from your teacher's teacher...

Here is a sample of T-Bone live in 1965 singing Hey Baby:

This clip is T-Bone Walker being backed by a guitarist who has openly and gratefully acknowledged Walker's influence on his own playing:

You don't often see Chuck yield the spotlight to another player...

<O>
Old 03-13-17, 07:12 AM   #1070
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-13-17, 07:22 PM   #1071
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

My Dad said that someone dropped Jimmy Rogers on his head somewhere on the Hollywood Freeway and that he was never the same again.

or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 03-14-17, 06:54 AM   #1072
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-14-17, 07:57 AM   #1073
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Hearing Stormy Monday by the Allmans may have inspired you to pick up the guitar, but hearing Stormy Monday by the original artist inspired musicians like B. B. King and others to pick up the guitar long before the Allmans knew how to even tune a guitar. In 1947, 70 years ago this year, the great T-Bone Walker wrote and recorded the song:

<O>

You are right about T-bone walker but then again, Robert Johnson inspired T-Bone walker before T-Bone knew how to tune a guitar. Any musician or vocalist drew inspiration from someone and usually from a great number of various artists. Blues great Stevie Ray Vaughan looked to Jimi Hendrix, Albert King, Albert Collins, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy and probably many more for Inspiration and along the way, Stevie developed his signature sound and vocals.

Another excellent Blues guitarist and 2012 Kennedy Center Honoree is none other than Buddy Guy. Buddy and his generation helped pave the way for other aspiring Blues guitarists. Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana, and Stevie Ray Vaughan among other notables looked to Buddy Guy for Inspiration. Jimmie Lee Vaughan, Stevie Ray's older brother, was one of the guitarists on stage at the Kennedy Center Honors to help pay homage to a legend.

Buddy has always been a gentleman and shares his abilities with new players now in an effort to make blues guitar music and guitar playing a viable and sustainable musical art form.

Here is Buddy Guy with then, 8 year old Quinn sullivan. This video is from 2007.

Here they are again in 2013 at Red Rocks. Quinn was 14 then.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 03-14-17 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-14-17, 12:06 PM   #1074
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

There's also a smaller genre called Tropical House that I've enjoyed a fair amount as background music when I'm working. There's not really any artist in particular (although Kygo is good).

It's upbeat, happy and relaxing music and there's long mixes of it on youtube that keep me from putting my head through the wall some days. Deep House music has a similar effect but the Tropical side of House music is much, much better in my opinion.

I hate to be the "young'in" to add something more modern to the mix

EDIT: I was not aware that we can't hide the videos in text anymore. If it's doable still can somebody enlighten me? I had to change the formatting of this.
Old 03-15-17, 07:33 AM   #1075
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-15-17, 06:31 PM   #1076
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
You are right about T-bone walker but then again, Robert Johnson inspired T-Bone walker before T-Bone knew how to tune a guitar. Any musician or vocalist drew inspiration from someone and usually from a great number of various artists. Blues great Stevie Ray Vaughan looked to Jimi Hendrix, Albert King, Albert Collins, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy and probably many more for Inspiration and along the way, Stevie developed his signature sound and vocals.

That is a fact that can't be denied. I related the recommendation about seeking out 'your teacher's teacher' for that very reason. It is all fine and good to emulate and, hopefully, expand upon one's influences, but knowing where they got their influence(s) can shed a lot more light on a subject, whether it is music or any other subject. There may be the possibility your mentor has filtered out or even omitted some aspect of his or her own mentor's knowledge or approach, not as an act of malice, but, simply because it may have not fit their needs or wants; however, if your go back to that 'root' you may find there is/was more to the subject than thought...

There is a story Buddy Guy has told many times about himself and his own son. Buddy was a major influence on Hendrix and was openly acknowledged as such by Jimi. Buddy's son, as a teenager had gotten deeply into guitar playing, learning the basics from Buddy, but, eventually being more influenced by other then current guitarists, mainly Prince. Buddy' s son kind of considered Buddy's style as a bit 'old school'. The son devoured everything he could find about Prince and learned Prince was heavily influenced by Hendrix, so he set out to find out about Jimi. Buddy said he was at home one day and his son was in another room watching a documentary about Hendrix on TV. His son came into the room where Buddy was siting with tears in his eyes. Buddy asked him what was going on and his son told him he had just seen a clip of Hendrix talking about his own influences and had spoken very highly about Buddy and his influence on Jimi's style. Buddy's son started to apologize for having dismissed Buddy's style and said he wished he had realized just how great his father's influence had been on the very players he considered heroes...

Just another case of the influence of the influence...

Regarding T-Bone Walker, his guitar gymnastics, later copied by others such as Hendrix, SRV, etc., of playing with their teeth, behind the head, and other bits of showmanship in itself is attributed to Delta Blues pioneer and originator Charley Patton; Patton's vocal style also influenced Howlin' Wolf, and his showmanship style influenced Little Richard...

If you'd like to hear just how far back some songs can go, if you like Cream's version of Spoonful, here is Carley Patton's Spoonful Blues from 1929:

Incidentally, if anyone would like a good read on the Blues, the book Deep Blues by Robert Palmer (not the singer) is an excellent source; have had the book for many years and still go back to it often...

<O>
Old 03-16-17, 06:47 AM   #1077
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-16-17, 10:36 AM   #1078
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
That is a fact that can't be denied. I related the recommendation about seeking out 'your teacher's teacher' for that very reason. It is all fine and good to emulate and, hopefully, expand upon one's influences, but knowing where they got their influence(s) can shed a lot more light on a subject, whether it is music or any other subject. There may be the possibility your mentor has filtered out or even omitted some aspect of his or her own mentor's knowledge or approach, not as an act of malice, but, simply because it may have not fit their needs or wants; however, if your go back to that 'root' you may find there is/was more to the subject than thought...

There is a story Buddy Guy has told many times about himself and his own son. Buddy was a major influence on Hendrix and was openly acknowledged as such by Jimi. Buddy's son, as a teenager had gotten deeply into guitar playing, learning the basics from Buddy, but, eventually being more influenced by other then current guitarists, mainly Prince. Buddy' s son kind of considered Buddy's style as a bit 'old school'. The son devoured everything he could find about Prince and learned Prince was heavily influenced by Hendrix, so he set out to find out about Jimi. Buddy said he was at home one day and his son was in another room watching a documentary about Hendrix on TV. His son came into the room where Buddy was siting with tears in his eyes. Buddy asked him what was going on and his son told him he had just seen a clip of Hendrix talking about his own influences and had spoken very highly about Buddy and his influence on Jimi's style. Buddy's son started to apologize for having dismissed Buddy's style and said he wished he had realized just how great his father's influence had been on the very players he considered heroes...

Just another case of the influence of the influence...

Regarding T-Bone Walker, his guitar gymnastics, later copied by others such as Hendrix, SRV, etc., of playing with their teeth, behind the head, and other bits of showmanship in itself is attributed to Delta Blues pioneer and originator Charley Patton; Patton's vocal style also influenced Howlin' Wolf, and his showmanship style influenced Little Richard...

If you'd like to hear just how far back some songs can go, if you like Cream's version of Spoonful, here is Carley Patton's Spoonful Blues from 1929:

Incidentally, if anyone would like a good read on the Blues, the book Deep Blues by Robert Palmer (not the singer) is an excellent source; have had the book for many years and still go back to it often...

<O>

You are so right about the influences. When I first heard Stevie Ray Vaughan, I was amazed. As I listened, I started to look through Stevie Ray's Influences and found Buddy Guy, Albert Collins and so many others. It really is like looking through the " family tree or photo albums. " The story you related regarding Buddy Guy and his son reminds me of what a guitar and music teacher once told me. " If you want to learn, look to the originators, not the imitators ." The music I was listening and learning from was 20-30 years old at least when I discovered it.

I saw the movie Crossroads which starred Ralph Macchio and Steve Vai in a guitar duel at the end of the movie. Although Steve Vai is an incredible guitarist, I was more drawn to who was playing for Ralph Macchio. It was Ry Cooder playing slide Guitar and the other parts including Paganini's 5th Caprice. I will never be able to play like them and I don't even try but for me, it set the bar pretty high.

U crank likes Eric Johnson as do I. Eric sited Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix for their Vibrato technique which he himself adapted and uses today. I posted a video a way back of Wes Montgomery which you knew of and commented on. I shouldn't have been surprised you knew of Wes. Eric Johnson was also influenced by Wes Montgomery as Eric Uses the Octave technique Pioneered by Wes Montgomery. Jazz great George Benson also uses the Octave technique and does it well.

As far as Stormy Monday, T Bone created the song but I like the Allman Brothers version the best but that's just me. I once heard Little Richard say that he invented Rock and Roll. I found that to be an arrogant comment and presumption as Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Rockabilly Pioneer Carl Perkins and one of my favorites, Fat Domino among so many others, helped create and usher in Rock and Roll Music. Thanks Vienna for posting the Information that you did.

The videos below are not only of new and old style guitar playing but also of the older and venerable Fender Telecastor guitar with single coil " lipstick " pickups vs the newer style " Super Strat " Jackson heavy metal guitar with the hotter dual coil " humbucking " pickups and Floyd Rose double locking tremolo / bridge.

This is unfortunately the shortened version of the crossroads duel

Another overlapping part of crossroads.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 03-16-17 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-16-17, 07:40 PM   #1079
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Old 03-17-17, 07:00 AM   #1080
vienna
Navy Seal

Default James Cotton, Legendary Blues Harpist, Passes Away At Age 81

James Cotton, legendary Blues harpist, passed away at the age of 81 today. Considered to be a "players player" by other harpists and highly respected by other musicians, in and out of the Blues circles, Cotton's career spanned nearly seven decades and his influence will live on long into the future:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-at-81-w472545

With Muddy Waters:

With some young fella named Keith something-or-other:

James Cotton, front and center, playing blues, real, true, and sad:

Thanks Mr. Cotton for your own great talent and the great contributions you have made to the works of others. The Blues are a bit more bluer today...

<O>

Tags
music