SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-04-17, 03:13 AM   #1
Gale Klebold
Nub

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Need help with navigation map in vanilla

I have started playing Silent Hunter 3 again after a break of a few years, though I never have played it much. I am playing the vanilla game, without any mods installed. I need help when it comes to the navigation map. I've looked through the forum but didn't find my issue.

I have everything on realism settings checked except for manual targetting, weapons officer help, event camera and free camera, so I don't have the god's eye mode enabled on the map. My issue is that I can't seem to see anything on the nav map: I don't see any hydrophone bearing lines even though I get messages about a ships bearing etc., I don't see any ships marked down even when I make visual contact with them and clearly see them at the surface or through the periscope, but I do see the red markers from further away. I just don't see the black ship markers I've seen appear in some videos which also play on high realism.

This makes it pretty difficult do track down anything and is also the reason for why I don't use manual targetting: I can't use any other method than the one the stock game provides me with in the periscope (rangefinding with the stadiometer, AoB finding with the shoddy wheel and measuring speed with the automated stopwatch). Not even the hydrophone is of any use: the nav map is practically useless for anything other than the red ship markers which serve at least as some kind of a lead.

Is this a bug? Do I have something switched off? All help would be appreciated.
Gale Klebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-17, 07:42 AM   #2
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

You turned off map contact updates. Re-enable that setting if you want your map to show contact updates.
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-17, 12:40 AM   #3
Leoz
Ensign

Downloads: 253

I hope eventually you think of it is part of the fun.

To see off into the distance, a ship pointing at you, taking a guess it's angle on the bow and plotting it on the F5 map.

Eventually this will become second nature to you.

Thanks for playing the game. That by itself is what is important.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Leoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-17, 07:58 AM   #4
Gale Klebold
Nub

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoz View Post
I hope eventually you think of it is part of the fun.

To see off into the distance, a ship pointing at you, taking a guess it's angle on the bow and plotting it on the F5 map.

Eventually this will become second nature to you.

Thanks for playing the game. That by itself is what is important.

Thanks for the suggestion. So far, I've been able to get decent results by following the red markings of the ships on the nav map and then patrolling around the area where I predicted them to be until I got a sounds contact or spotted them. I use manual targetting, but it's still pretty fun. I'll maybe try this method once I get a bit better.
Gale Klebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-17, 10:28 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Gale Klebold!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote