SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-01-12, 09:40 AM   #1
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

This is strictly my opinion. But. YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!!! I thought Hunt for Red October was great!! (hence, my username) I fell in love with the book!! It was the first real sub movie I had sat down to watch. I'm a die-hard Clancy fan. It might not be the MOST realistic situation, but it would make sense to give your brand new sub to the man who is the best in the fleet and who has taken out all the new subs in his career. Would you drop me in a fighter plane to protect your country when the only training I've had is flightsims? Or would you go with the Colonel with many flight decorations and kills painted on his aircraft? Just an opinion. No hard feelings S-13.
Old 06-01-12, 08:22 PM   #2
S-13
Swabbie

Downloads: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
This is strictly my opinion. But. YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!!! I thought Hunt for Red October was great!! (hence, my username) I fell in love with the book!! It was the first real sub movie I had sat down to watch. I'm a die-hard Clancy fan. It might not be the MOST realistic situation, but it would make sense to give your brand new sub to the man who is the best in the fleet and who has taken out all the new subs in his career. Would you drop me in a fighter plane to protect your country when the only training I've had is flightsims? Or would you go with the Colonel with many flight decorations and kills painted on his aircraft? Just an opinion. No hard feelings S-13.
Non-taken, but regardless of this fantasy submarine commander that is given apparently a new submarine every time a new sub comes out of the factory, doesn't explain why a full crew would give up their families and lives, the hero in my opinion of that novel/book was the Cook.
S-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-12, 09:34 PM   #3
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Full Fathom Five.

Hijacked Nuke sub with the target of Houston Texas?

Does the movie have a happy ending???
Old 06-01-12, 09:36 PM   #4
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-13 View Post
Non-taken, but regardless of this fantasy submarine commander that is given apparently a new submarine every time a new sub comes out of the factory, doesn't explain why a full crew would give up their families and lives, the hero in my opinion of that novel/book was the Cook.

Been a while since I saw the movie, but in the book, it was described how the Captain was handpicking and grooming key officers for this defection. So it was not a random crew deciding to defect. I am not sure the movie made that clear.
Old 11-10-12, 11:17 PM   #5
BadMole
Nub

Downloads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Been a while since I saw the movie, but in the book, it was described how the Captain was handpicking and grooming key officers for this defection. So it was not a random crew deciding to defect. I am not sure the movie made that clear.
It did.
BadMole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-13, 10:26 AM   #6
AndreasT
A-ganger

Downloads: 147

I saw this recently on TV. I could make a better film in my living room with my cat by drawing the special effects.
It was so bad I had to watch about half of it.
AndreasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-13, 08:37 PM   #7
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasT View Post
I saw this recently on TV. I could make a better film in my living room with my cat by drawing the special effects.
It was so bad I had to watch about half of it.
I never even heard of this movie. Is this one of those movies that goes straight to YouTube?

I hope the whale wins though.

There is only one species in nature that is a monster...
Old 07-27-13, 09:29 AM   #8
Perseus
Mate

Downloads: 3
Default Phantom

Ugh. Give this one a wide berth: 'Phantom'

Arguably one of the worst submarine movies I've ever had the misfortune of seeing.

Nearly everything is wrong with this movie. The story, the characters, the technical stuff, the references, the tactics, everything.

It is loosely - might I add, very loosely - based on a novel by Kenneth Sewell which he wrote about the sinking of the K-129 Golf-II SSBN northwest of Midway.

The K-129 actually did sink amid still unclear circumstances. You can read about that here.

But again, that was a Golf-II SSBN. Not the B-67 Foxtrot they show us in the movie.

When a mad KGB agent inside the boat forces the captain to nearly ram his SSBN into a Panamanian freight vessel by diving to 5 meters below it and actually having the con tower hit the freight vessels' aft propellers, I was ready to turn off the TV.

It was without a doubt the most absurd scene I have ever seen in a submarine movie

The captain is a traumatized epileptic and an alcoholic, the first obviously not being his fault and the second, well - let's just say that I know of no navy that would allow an epileptic alcoholic with a trauma about an earlier collision incident to drive a boomer, or any other vessel. Not even the Red Banner fleet of the 1960s, mad as they were.

And it's sad, because Ed Harris, David Duchovny and William Fichtner are fine actors. But even their acting couldn't save this monstrosity of a movie.
Perseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-12, 10:41 PM   #9
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Quote:
...the hero in my opinion of that novel/book was the Cook.
Not sure if trolling...
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 07:22 PM   #10
flymar
Loader

Downloads: 42

Quote:
They didn't. Only officers. And the officers were chosen by Ramius. Large part of the plot (in book) was about how to get the crew back to USSR without them knowing about defection.
flymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 07:59 PM   #11
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Actually the worse submarine movie ever made has to be Agent Red. We are talking MST3K bad.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 08:32 PM   #12
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

The list goes on.....

Such a sad thing that people actually watch these movies.

With the exception of Hunt For Red October. That is the only good one discussed in this thread. But the book was a million times better.
Old 08-13-12, 09:26 PM   #13
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
That is the only good one discussed in this thread.
Well, not surprising considering this thread is about the worst movies

For every bad sub movie, there does seem to be a good one out there though!

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-12, 07:35 AM   #14
troopie
Captain

Downloads: 33

The worst sub flick I can recall is definately 'USS Poseidon - Phantom below'; I don't think I made it through the first half hour (and I actually paid to hire the dvd!), absolute shocker.
troopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 02:58 PM   #15
chopsuey
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Default Crash Dive

I think without a doubt the movie "Crash Dive" with Michael Dudikoff was the absolute worst submarine movie ever cut and pasted together. I say cut and pasted because, I could identify at least 4 other submarine movies that they took footage from and edited it together to make this submersible turd. If the cinematography was not bad enough the plot of the movie was more than enough to make one gouge their eyes out. First, a former Navy Seal (Dudikoff) in his off time, single-handedly designs an attack submarine that apparently can also launch ballistic missiles. While on sea trials, of course fully armed with nuclear weapons, the submarine at depth receives a distress call from a life raft on the surface, and following the "law of the sea" the submarine surfaces in roiling seas to rescue the people on the life raft. Of course these "survivors" are actually a handful of terrorist who quickly overtake the entire crew and turn the submarine against the US. Dudikoff, who for some reason, was not present on the submarine during it's sea trials, hops on the next available submarine and quickly locate and sneak up on this "modern marvel" that he has designed. To recapture the sub, Dudikoff exits the trailing submarine and SWIMS at depth to his creation and from the outside, opens the airlock and enters the captured submarine. At this point you would think his navy seal training would take over and the sub would be back in his control in short order, but apparently Dudikoff was the bottom of his "BUD/S" class and after getting his butt kicked by several of the terrorist, he has to enlist the help of the crew to assist him in re-taking the submarine.
chopsuey is offline   Reply With Quote