Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

8th November 1916

Western Front

Repulse of Germans at Saillisel.

Eastern Front

Germans advance south of Roter Turm Pass; capture Sardoui (16 miles south).

Naval and Overseas Operations

U.S.A. S.S. "Columbian" sunk by German submarine near Cape Finisterre.

British destroyer HMS Zulu hits a German mine, resulting in 3 deaths.

Political, etc.

Heavy deportations of Belgians by Germans under decree of 3 October 1916.

Ship Losses:

Columbian United States) The cargo ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 50 nautical miles (93 km) north west of Cape Ortegal, Spain (44°18′N 9°20′W) by SM U-49 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Killellan (United Kingdom) The collier was torpedoed and sunk in the English Channel 17 nautical miles (31 km) south west by south of the Colbart Lightship ( France) by SM UB-40 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Luigi Pastro (Italy) The cargo ship was sunk in the Strait of Sicily off Maritimo Island (37°48′N 11°37′E) by SM U-34 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Raimi (Russia) The cargo ship was sunk in the Gulf of Finland off Rauma, Finland by SM U-22 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Sheldrake (United Kingdom) The cargo ship was shelled and sunk in the Strait of Sicily off Maritimo Island (37°54′N 11°41′E) by SM U-34 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived, but two of them were taken as prisoners of war.
Vineyard (United Kingdom) The trawler struck a mine and sank in the North Sea 13 nautical miles (24 km) east south east of Aberdeen with the loss of nine of her crew.
HMS Zulu (Royal Navy) The Tribal-class destroyer struck a mine and broke in two in the North Sea off Gravelines, Pas-de-Calais, France with the loss of three of her 70 crew. The stern section sank. The bow section was towed to Calais and then Sheerness, Kent, United Kingdom where it was joined to the stern section of HMS Nubian to create HMS Zubian.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-16, 02:28 PM   #1907
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

November 8, 1916

English Channel:
Karl Neumann, commanding UB-40, sinks British freighter SS Killellan, 1,971 tons, bound from North Shields for Rouen with a load of coal. His score is now 11 ships and 9,095 tons.

North Sea:
British fishing vessel Vineyard, 126 tons, hits a mine laid by an unknown ship.

British destroyer HMS Zulu, 1,027 tons, hits a mine laid by Heinrich Küstner in UC-1, bringing his score to 2 ships and 2,712 tons. Zulu's stern is blown off but the main body of the ship is towed home.

Gulf of Bothnia:
Karl Scherb, in U-22, sinks Russian motor vessel Taimi, 114 tons, carrying a general cargo (mostly iron) from Gävle to Raumo. His score is now 6 ships and 2,311 tons.

Swedish brigantine Agnete, 123 tons, carrying a load of cement from Limhamn to Hernösand, runs aground off Landsort, Sweden.

Bay of Biscay:
Richard Hartmann, in U-49, scuttles American freighter SS Columbian, 8,580 tons, carrying steel plate and a general cargo from New York and Boston to Saint Nazaire and Genoa. Columbian is under charter to the France and Canada Steamship Company. Hartmann's score is now 9 ships and 14,648 tons.

Mediterranean Sea:
Claus Rücker, in U-34, sinks two Allied ships between Sicily and Tunis:
Italian freighter SS Luigi Pastro, 3,228 tons, travelling from Cardiff to Messina with an unnamed cargo.
British freighter SS Sheldrake, 2,697 tons, travelling in ballast from Naples to London.
His score is now 70 ships and 158,207 tons.

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 11-08-16 at 02:37 PM.
Sailor Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-16, 10:42 AM   #1908
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

9th November 1916

Western Front

At the Somme, attempts by both sides to advance ends in failure even after hand-to-hand fighting.

End of 3rd Phase of Battle of the Somme.

Eastern Front

Defeat of Russian centre at Skrobova (C.). 3,400 prisoners taken.

Dobruja: Russo-Romanians occupy Hirshova (right bank Danube) and Dunarea; fight for Cerna Voda Bridge.

Malangali post (East Africa) attacked (8-12 November) and relieved.

Aviation

Aerial battle between 30 British aeroplanes and 36 to 40 Germans near Bapaume.

Political, etc.

Asquith: “Peace…on one condition only—that the war, with its vast waste, its sacrifices, its untold sufferings…shall not have been in vain.”

German Chancellor von Bethmann-Hollweg states Germany will accept peace if British rule over the seas is ended.

Portuguese troops ready to leave for European front.

Ship Losses:

Balto (Germany) The depôt ship was scuttled in the Atlantic Ocean 70 nautical miles (130 km) north east of Cape Villano, Spain (43°00′N 9°00′W). Formerly a Norwegian cargo ship, she had been seized on 6 November by SM U-49 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
HMS Fair Maid (Royal Navy) The minesweeper struck a mine laid by UC 18 (Wilhelm Kiel) and sank in the North Sea with the loss of five of her crew.
Fordalen (Norway) The cargo ship was scuttled in the Atlantic Ocean 50 nautical miles (93 km) north west of Cape Villano by SM U-49 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Marga (United Kingdom) The coaster was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 16 nautical miles (30 km) north by west of Ouessant, Finistère, France by SM UC-18 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Sunniside (United Kingdom) The coaster struck a mine laid by UC 4 (Hans Howaldt) and sank in the North Sea 4 nautical miles (7.4 km) east north east of Southwold, Suffolk with the loss of four of her crew.

Editorial cartoon: Doubtful state of mind ─ Chicago Tribune

Old 11-09-16, 07:36 PM   #1909
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

November 9, 1916

Air War:
0930 German ace Stefan Kirmaier, flying an Albatros D.II, shoots down BE.2c 2502 for victory number 9.

1000 South African RFC pilot D’Urban Victor Armstrong, in Nieuport 16 A211, shoots down an Albatros D.I for victory number 1.

1030 German pilot Otto Bernert, in a Halberstadt D.III, shoots down three British fighters: two DH.2s and an FE.8, for victories number 5, 6 and 7. Amazingly, Jasta 4 only had three victories in the entire month of November, and they were all scored in one day by one pilot.

1030 German Hans von Keudell, in a Halbsrstadt D.III, shoots down DH.2 A2543 for victory number 5. 2nd Lt I. Curlewis is wounded and taken prisoner.

1030 German ace Manfred von Richthofen, in Albatros D.II 491/16, shoots down BE.2c 2506. 2nd Lt Ian Gilmour Cameron is killed in action.

1050 German pilot Otto Höhne, flying an Albatros D.I, shoots down Nieuport 17 A272 for victory number 5. 7-kill Canadian ace Allan Bell-Irving makes it home, but his severe wounds end his WW1 flying career. Bell-Irving will serve with the RCAF in WW2 and live until 1965.

1340 German ace Gustav Leffers, flying a captured Nieuport 11, shoots down DH.2 7925 for victory number 9. 2nd Lt H.A. Hallam taken prisoner.

1345 Three RFC pilots are credited together with bringing down a German biplane fighter:
Arthur Knight, Canada, DH.2 A305, victory number 7.
Alfred McKay, Canada, DH.2 7884, victory number 2.
Eric Pashley, England, DH.2 7930, victory number 2.

1400 Hans von Keudell scores his second victory of the day, bringing down a DH.2 for number 6.

1510 German ace Erwin Böhme, in an Albatros D.II, shoots down FE.8 6409 for victory number 6. 2nd Lt Herbert Farmer Evans is wounded and taken prisoner.

German ace Hartmuth Baldamus shoots down a Nieuport for victory number 6. Jasta 9 reportedly didn't recieve Albatros fighters until early 1917, so it is possible Baldamus was still flying a Fokker E.IV.

French ace Pierre Dufaur de Gavardie, in a Nieuport, shoots down an Aviatik two-seater for victory number 6.

German pilot Hans Imelmann, in an Albatros D.II, shoots down BE.2c 2502 for victory number 6. Lt Gerald Featherstone-Knight is captured, only to escape several times before returning to England, as recounted in his book "Brother Bosch", An Airman's Escape From Germany. He is not to be confused with British ace Arthur Gerald Knight.

French pilots Georges Madon and Noël Mosnier, in Nieuports, share a Fokker biplane. Victory number 2 for Madon, number 1 for Mosnier.

Norwegian Sea:
Norwegian coaster SS Patria, 465 tons, carrying a load of timber and cement from Göteborg to Reykjavik, is abandoned in a storm.

Celtic Sea:
British minesweepr-trawler HMT Fair Maid, 432 tons, and freighter Marga, 674 tons, carrying a load of coal from Cardiff to Lorient, both hit mines laid by Wilhelm Kiel in UC-18. His score is now 11 ships and 6,593 tons.

North Sea:
British coaster SS Sunniside, 447 tons, bound from Hull for Rotterdam with a general cargo, hits a mine laid by Hans Howaldt in UC-4. His score is now 3 ships and 3,272 tons.

Spain:
On November 6th Richard Hartmann, in U-49, captured Norwegian freighter SS Balto, 3,538 tons. carrying a general cargo from Bilbao to Cadiz. After using her as a supply ship for three days, Hartmann scuttles Balto.
Hartmann captures and scuttles Norwegian freighter SS Fordalen, 2,835 tons, travelling from Hull to Genoa with a load of coal. His score is now 11 ships and 21,021 tons.
Old 11-10-16, 07:38 AM   #1910
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

10th November 1916

Western Front

Somme, north: British capture east portion of Regina trench (north of Thiepval).

French capture several German trenches north-east of Lesboeufs.

Eastern Front

Serbs advance towards Monastir; carry Chuke heights, etc.

Southern Front

Review of troops by Greek National Government at Salonika.

British seaplanes attack Ostend and Zeebrugge.

German destroyer attack on Baltic port (west of Reval), driven off by Russians, 6-9 German destroyers sunk.

Political, etc.

French government prepares a 100-page report alleging German atrocities in prisoner of war camps.

Ship Losses:

HMT Benton Castle (Royal Navy) The naval trawler struck a mine laid by UC 17 (Ralph Wenninger) and sank in the English Channel off Dartmouth, Devon with the loss of ten of her crew.
Bogota (United Kingdom) The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 120 nautical miles (220 km) south west of Ouessant, Finistère, France (46°51′N 6°54′W) by SM U-50 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Camma (Norway) The coaster was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 5 nautical miles (9.3 km) north west of the Segaras Lighthouse, Spain (43°17′N 9°09′W) by SM U-49 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Freja (Denmark) The cargo ship was sunk in the Mediterranean Sea 10 nautical miles (19 km) off Garrucha, Andalusia, Spain by SM U-64 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
H.M.W. (United Kingdom) The Thames barge struck a mine laid by UC 18 (Wilhelm Kiel) and sank in the English Channel 1 nautical mile (1.9 km) north by west of the Boulogne Lightship ( France) with the loss of a crew member.
SMS S57 (Kaiserliche Marine) The S49-class destroyer struck a mine in the Gulf of Finland and was consequently scuttled.
Tripel (Norway) The cargo ship was sunk in the Mediterranean Sea 5 nautical miles (9.3 km) off Garrucha by SM U-64 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
SMS V75 (Kaiserliche Marine) The V67-class destroyer struck two mines and sank in the Gulf of Finland.

Old 11-10-16, 05:31 PM   #1911
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

November 10, 1916

Air War:
Germany: "Ear"-type side radiators banned by Idflieg, due to the quick rate at which they drain when holed. From now on all radiators must be mounted either in the upper wing or on the nose in front of the engine.

1115 German pilot Herman Pfeiffer, flying a Fokker E.III, shoots down a Nieuport for victory number 5.

1120 Pfeiffer downs a Caudron for victory number 6.

1210 English RNAS pilot Christopher Draper, in Sopwith 1½ Strutter 9407, shoots down a Fokker D-type fighter and a two-seater for victories number 1 and 2. Though the Strutter was a two-seater, it is unknown whether Draper had an observer aboard at the time.

1215 French ace Georges Guynemer, in a SPAD VII, shoots down an Albatros D.II for victory number 19. Ten minutes later he downs an Albatros two-seater for number 20.

1230 German pilot Erich Hahn, flying a Fokker or Albatros D-type (records are unclear), shoots down a "Biplane" for victory number 1.

1230 German ace Hans von Keudell, in a Halberstadt D.III, shoots down Sopwith 1½ Strutter A885 for victory number 7.

1450 Canadian RNAS pilot Daniel Galbraith, in Sopwith Pup N5193, shoots down a Roland D.II for victory number 4.

French pilot Jules Charles Covin, in a Maurice Farman with obserber Lt Vuillaum and gunner Sdt Michel, brings down a German "Scout" for victory number 1.

Another French aircrew, in a Caudron R.4, shoot down a Roland C.II:
Pilot Didier Lecour-Grandmaison - number 4
Observer Achille Rouddeaux - number 2
Bunner Marie Vitalis - number 5

English Channel:
His Majesty's Trawler Benton Castle, 283 tons, hits a mine laid off Dartmouth by Ralph Wenninger in UC-17. Wenninger's score is now 17 vessels and 5,722 tons.

British sail barge H.M.W., 93 tons, en route from London to Boulogne with a load of crusibles, hits a mine laid off Boulogne by Wilhelm Kiel in UC-19. Kiel's score is now 12 ships and 6,686 tons.

North Sea:
British destroyer HMS Legion, 965 tons, is damaged by a mine laid by an unknown ship.

Danish schooner Danmark, 200 tons, departs Gothenburg with a load of timber and is not heard from again.

Danish barque Victoria, 378 tons, departs Tyne for Horsens with a load of coal and is not heard from again.

Gulf of Finland:
German destroyers mount an attack on shipping around Reval. On the way in SMS V-75 hits a mine and sinks. V-57 hits another mine and is so badly damaged she is scuttled by her crew. On the way back out early in the morning of the 11th V-72, G-90, S-58, S-59 and V-76 are also sunk by russian mines - seven ships in all.

Bay of Biscay:
Gerhard Berger, in U-50, sinks British freighter SS Bogota, 4,577 tons, Out of Coronel for London with a general cargo. This is Berger's first sinking.

Spain:
Richard Hartmann, in U-49, sinks Norwegian freighter SS Camma, 794 tons, carrying a load of pit props from Oporto to Cardiff, just outside the south end of the Bay of biscay. His score is now 12 ships and 21,815 tons.

Alboran Sea:
Robert Moraht, in U-64, sinks two Allied ships near Garrucha, Spain:
Danish freighter SS Freja, 2,168 tons, bound from Cardiff for Marseillw with a load of coal.
Norwegian freighter SS Tripel, 4,633 tons, carrying a load of steel from Baltimore to Genoa.
Moraht's score is now 4 ships and 6,998 tons.

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 12-26-16 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-11-16, 08:14 AM   #1912
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

11th November 1916

Western Front

British bombard Germans on the Ancre; French recapture most of Saillisel, and repulse German attack at Deniecourt.

Eastern Front

Russo-Romanians occupy Topalu (right bank Danube) and advance south.

Southern Front

Serbs seize Polog village.

Asiatic and Egyptian Theatres

British air raid on Beersheba and Maghdaba (100 miles east of Ismailia).

Political, etc.

Austria-Hungary announces that Emperor Franz Joseph is suffering from catarrh, but otherwise is carrying out his duties.

J. L. Garvin, British journalist, states, “The Allies in the East have perpetrated almost every blunder left to them to commit…”

Ship Losses:

Anna I (Russia) The icebreaker struck a mine laid by U 76 (Waldemar Bender) and sank in the White Sea.
Astrid (Sweden) The yacht was sunk in the Gulf of Finland off Rauma, Finland[64] by SM U-22 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Barbara (Greece) The cargo ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean north west of Cape Ortegal, Spain (45°02′N 8°34′W) by SM U-49 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Daphne (Norway) The cargo ship was sunk in the English Channel 30 nautical miles (56 km) off Start Point, Devon, United Kingdom by SM UC-16 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
SMS G90 (Kaiserliche Marine) The G85-class destroyer struck a mine and sank in the Gulf of Finland off Reval, Estonia.
Løkken (Norway) The cargo ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 100 nautical miles (190 km) north of Cape Ortegal by SM U-50 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Morazan (United Kingdom) The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 145 nautical miles (269 km) south west by west of Ouessant (46°41′N 7°39′W) by SM U-50 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived, but her captain was taken as a prisoner of war.
Ragnar (Denmark) The cargo ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 100 nautical miles (190 km) north of Cape Finisterre, Spain (44°56′N 8°38′W) by SM U-49 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her 21 crew were rescued by Leda ( Netherlands).
SMS S58 (Kaiserliche Marine) The S49-class destroyer struck a mine and sank in the Gulf of Finland off Reval.
SMS S59 (Kaiserliche Marine) The S49-class destroyer struck a mine and sank in the Gulf of Finland off Reval.
Sarah Radcliffe (United Kingdom) The collier was torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 170 nautical miles (310 km) south west of Ouessant (46°00′N 7°00′W) by SM U-50 ( Kaiserliche Marine).[3][72][73] Her 28 crew were rescued by Hudin ( Norway).
Seirstad (Norway) The coaster was sunk in the English Channel 10 nautical miles (19 km) south of the Longsands Lightship ( United Kingdom) (49°57′N 5°38′W) by SM UC-17 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
SMS V72 (Kaiserliche Marine) The V67-class destroyer struck a mine and sank in the Gulf of Finland off Reval.
SMS V76 (Kaiserliche Marine) The V67-class destroyer struck a mine and sank in the Gulf of Finland off Reval.
Veronica (United Kingdom) The fishing smack was scuttled in the English Channel 9 nautical miles (17 km) south east of Start Point by SM UC-16 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.

Old 11-11-16, 01:14 PM   #1913
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

November 11, 1916

Air War:
German Jasta 17, formed on October 23, becomes operational under the command of Heinz von Brederlow.

German ace Albert Dossenbach becomes the first of only two two-seater pilot to be awarded the Blue Max.

1730 German pilot Hermann Kunz shoots down a Nieuport for victory number 2. Though one source speculates a Fokker D.II, it is unknown exactly what planes Jasta 7 was flying at this time.

French ace Alfred Heurtaux, in a SPAD VII, shoots down an Aviatik two-seater for victory number 12.

English Channel:
Egon von Werner, commanding UC-16, sinks two ships off Start Point, Devonshire:
Norwegian freighter SS Daphne, 1,388 tons, bound from Newport, Wales for Rouen with a load of coal.
British fishing smack Veronica, 27 tons.
Von Werner's score is now 33 ships and 40,435 tons.

Ralph Wenninger, in UC-17, sinks Norwegian freighter SS Seirstad, 995 tons, travelling from Newport, Wales to Tonnay-Charente with a load of coal.

Skagerrak:
Swedish trawler Karolina, 147 tons, sinks following a collision off the Skaw lightship.

Gulf of Bothnia:
Karl Scherb, in U-22, sinks Swedish coaster SS Astrid, 191 tons, carrying a general cargo from Stockholm to Rauma. His score is now 7 ships and 2,502 tons.

White Sea:
Russian icebreaker Anna I, unknown tonnage, hits a mine laid by Waldemar Bender in U-76. He now has 2 ships sunk, but his tonnage remains at 1,149.

Bay of Biscay:
Richard Hartmann, in U-49, sinks two ships:
Greek freighter SS Barbara, 2,831 tons, travelling from Alexandria to Bristol with a load of Cotton.
Danish freighter SS Ragnar, 2,123 tons, bound from Barry for Marseille with a load of coal.
Hartmann's score is now 14 ships and 26,777 tons.

Gerhard Berger, in U-50, sinks three Allied ships:
Norwegian freighter SS Løkken, 1,954 tons, carrying a load of coal from Cardiff to Philippeville.
British freighter SS Morazan, 3,486 tons, travelling from Calcutta to London with a load of manganese ore and jute.
British freighter SS Sarah Radcliffe, 3,333 tons. en route from Cardiff to St Vincent, Cape Verde with a load of coal plus general cargo.
Berger's score is now 4 ships and 13,350 tons.

South China Sea:
Japanese freighter Kaiho Maru, 4,148 tons, carrying a general cargo from Moji to Rangoon, is wrecked on Pratas Reef, near Hong Kong.

United States:
American barquentine Saint Paul, 440 tons, bound from New York for Matansas with a load of fertilizer, is wrecked off Jensen, Florida.

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 02-18-17 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-12-16, 11:06 AM   #1914
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

12th November 1916

Western Front

French conquest of Saillisel completed.

German attack near Berny (north-east of Ablaincourt) repulsed.

Eastern Front

Romanian retreat in valleys of Aluta and Jiu; severe fighting near Orsova (Danube).

Failure of Russo-Romanians on Cerna Voda and retreat to Dunarea.

Southern Front

French and Serbs capture Iven (15 miles east of Monastir).

Portuguese occupy Lulindi.

British defeat Germans at Malangali (G.E.A.).

Political, etc.

German casualties since the start of the war now numbers 3,755,693 men killed, wounded, captured, and missing.

Dutch railways considers curtailing their services due to difficulty in obtaining coal from Britain, Germany, and Belgium.

Evening dress is banned at Parisian operas that are subsidized by the French government.

Ship Losses:

Ioannis (Greece) The cargo ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 150 nautical miles (280 km) north of Cape Finisterre, Spain (45°30′N 7°20′W) by SM U-50 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Kapunda (United Kingdom) The cargo liner was torpedoed and sunk in the Mediterranean Sea 205 nautical miles (380 km) east south east of Malta (35°00′N 18°39′W) by SM UB-43 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Lady Carrington (United Kingdom) The collier was torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 98 nautical miles (181 km) north west of Cape Ortegal, Spain (44°15′N 8°50′W) by SM U-49 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
San Giovanni (Italy) The cargo ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 110 nautical miles (200 km) north of Cape Ortegal by SM U-50 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Stylinai Bebis (Greece) The cargo ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 150 nautical miles (280 km) north of Cape Finisterre (45°20′N 7°30′W) by SM U-50 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Therese (Denmark) The cargo ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean of Cape Ortegal by SM U-49 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
William P. Hood (United States) The schooner was set afire and abandoned in the Atlantic Ocean (51°15′N 15°30′W). Her crew were rescued.

Old 11-12-16, 09:38 PM   #1915
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

November 12, 1916

Bay of Biscay:
Richard Hartmann, in U-49, attacks three Allied ships off Cape Ortegal, Spain:
British freighter SS Lady Carrington, 3,269 tons, carrying a load of coal from Barry to Malta.
Danish freighter SS Therese, 1,333 tons, en route from Djidelli to Kircaldy with a load of cork. The crew are taken aboard U-49 and the ship scuttled.
Dutch freighter SS Leda, 1,140 tons, is attacked but only damaged.
Hartmann's score is now 16 ships and 31,379 tons.

Gerhard Berger, in U-50, sinks three ships:
Greek freighter SS Ioannis, 3,828 tons, travelling from Bahia Blanca to London with a load of wheat.
Italian freighter SS San Giovanni, 1,899 tons, bound from Swansea for Livorno with an unspecified cargo.
Greek freighter SS Stylinai Bebis, 3,603 tons, carrying a load of grain from Rosario to Falmouth.
Berger's score is now 7 ships and 22,096 tons.

Erich Platsch, in UB-29, captures small Dutch liner SS Batavier VI, 1,181 tons, as a prize, but it is later released by the prize court.

Mediterranean Sea:
Hans von Mellenthin, in UB-43, torpedoes British freighter SS Kapunda, 3,383 tons, travelling from Alexandria to Liverpool with a general cargo. His score is now 10 ships and 46,009 tons.

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 02-18-17 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-13-16, 08:49 AM   #1916
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

13th November 1916

Western Front

Battle of the Ancre: British capture St. Pierre Divion (south of Ancre) and Beaumont Hamel (north of Ancre) and nearly 4,000 prisoners.

Fourth phase of Battle of the Somme begins.

Eastern Front

German advance south of Torzburg, Roter Turm Passes continued: capture of Candeshti (south of Torzburg Pass) and Bumbeshti (Jiu Valley).

Southern Front

Serbs advance on Monastir, masking Bulgar-German positions near Tapavci (15 miles east-south-east of Monastir).

Cairo bombed; little damage done.

Political, etc.

Appeal of Cardinal Mercier to civilised world against Belgian deportations by Germans.

The Reuters news agency take steps to make sure it remains fully under British management and excluding any alien influence.

Ship Losses:

Bernicia (United Kingdom) The passenger ship was scuttled in the English Channel 20 nautical miles (37 km) south south east of Beachy Head, East Sussex by SM UB-38 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Caterham (United Kingdom) The cargo ship was scuttled in the English Channel 15 nautical miles (28 km) south south east of Beachy Head by SM UB-38 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Corinth (United Kingdom) The collier was scuttled in the North Sea 28 nautical miles (52 km) south by east of Flamborough Head, Yorkshire (53°43′N 0°14′E) by SM UB-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Diamond (Sweden) The wooden schooner was last heard from departing Drøbak bound for West Hartlepool. No information is available on the cause of her disappearance. Four casualties.
Lela (Italy) The cargo ship was shelled and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean south west of Ouessant, Finistère, France (47°08′N 9°16′W) by SM U-50 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Lilloise (France) The schooner was scuttled in the Atlantic Ocean 12 nautical miles (22 km) west of Ouessant by SM UC-18 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Marie Thérese (France) The schooner was sunk in the Bay of Biscay 32 nautical miles (59 km) south south west of Ar Men, Finistère (47°37′N 5°20′W) by SM UC-16 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Our Boys (United Kingdom) The fishing smack was shelled and sunk in the North Sea off the coast of Norfolk by SM UB-37 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Riquette (France) The schooner was sunk in the English Channel 27 nautical miles (50 km) south of the Isle of Wight, United Kingdom (50°15′N 0°45′W) by SM UB-38 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Saint Nicolas (France) The sailing vessel was sunk in the English Channel 25 nautical miles (46 km) north of Fécamp, Seine-Maritime by SM UB-38 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Superb (United Kingdom) The fishing smack was shelled and sunk in the North Sea off the coast of Norfolk by SM UB-37 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
William Thomas Moore (United Kingdom) The schooner was abandoned in the Atlantic Ocean (40°05′N 37°56′W). Her crew were rescued by Lowther Range ( United Kingdom).

Editorial Cartoon: Yes, it was a good bomb ─ Today

Old 11-13-16, 10:52 AM   #1917
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

November 13, 1916

Ireland:
Danish schooner Eliezer, 119 tons, bound from Miramichi, New Brunswick for Limerick with a load of deals, is stranded in a storm near Ballinskellig, with the loss of all five crew.

Celtic Sea:
British freighter SS Brodfield, 5,455 tons, is wrecked off the Scilly Isles.

Egon von Werner, commanding UC-16, sinks French sailing ship Marie Therese, 145 tons. Von Werner's score is now 34 ships and 40,591 tons.

Wilhelm Kiel, in UC-18, stops and scuttles French sailing vessel Lilloise, 165 tons, sailing from Sables d'Olonne to Port Talbot. His score is now 13 ships and 6,851 tons.

Greek freighter SS Empros, 2,371 tons, sinks off Brest following a collision with SS Cairo.

Gerhard Berger, in U-50, sinks Italian freighter SS Lela, 2,987 tons, carrying a load of coal from Glasgow to Genoa, with his deck gun. His score is now 8 ships and 25,083 tons.

English Channel:
Erwin Waßner, in UB-38, captures and scuttles four ships:
British freighter SS Bernicia, 957 tons, travelling in ballast from Rouen to London.
British freighter SS Caterham, 1,777 tons, travelling in ballast from Rouen to Newcastle.
French sailing ship Riquette, 164 tons.
French brigantine Saint Nicholas, 261 tons, carrying a load of flint and granite from Saint Malo to Dunkerque.
Waßner's score is now 30 ships and 28,560.

North Sea:
Paul Günther, in UB-37, sinks two fishing smacks:
Our Boys, 63 tons.
Superb, 50 tons.
Günther's score is now 3 boats and 199 tons.

Heinrich Küstner, in UB-39 fires a warning shot at British freighter SS Corinth. The freighter's captain decides to run. UB-39 gives chase, firing until the ship stops and the crew take to the lifeboats. The Germans raid the ship for food, clothing and equipment, then Corinth is scuttled. A British destroyer comes on the scene and UB-39 dives and escapes. Küstner's score is now 3 ships and 6,381 tons.

Kattegat:
Norwegian barque Romanoff, 1,236 tons, bound from Savannah, Georgia, USA for København (Copenhagen) with a load of cottonseed cakes, is wrecked on Anholt Reef.

Atlantic Ocean:
Canadian schooner William Thomas More, 307 tons, sailing from hlifax, Nova Scotia to Liverpool, is abandoned in mid-ocean.

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 02-18-17 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-14-16, 02:58 PM   #1918
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

14th November 1916

Western Front

Somme, north: British capture Beaucourt-sur-Ancre and advance east of Butte de Warlencourt.

Somme, south: German attack at Ablaincourt and Pressoir largely repulsed.

Eastern Front

Romanians retreat south of Vulkan Pass; and below Torzburg Pass; severe fighting in Prahova Valley (south of Predeal Pass).

Southern Front

Allies advance on Monastir.

Bulgars retreat on River Bistritza.

Naval

SS Burdigala (formerly Kaiser Friedrich), French (ex-German) ocean liner hits a German mine & sinks in the Aegean.

Political, etc.

Polish members of the Russian Duma denounce the German creation of the Kingdom of Poland.

Saki, British short story writer, is KIA by a German sniper. His last words: “Put that bloody cigarette out!”

Ship Losses:

Alcyon (France) The schooner was sunk in the English Channel 25 nautical miles (46 km) north of Ouessant, Finistère by SM UC-17 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Burdigala (France) The armed merchant cruiser, operating as a troopship, struck a mine laid by U 73 (Gustav Sieß) and sank 2 nautical miles (3.7 km) off Kea, Greece (37°40′N 24°17′E with the loss of one life.
Hatsuse (United Kingdom) The trawler was shelled and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 86 nautical miles (159 km) south west of the Fastnet Rock (50°14′N 11°00′W) by SM U-50 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
N.D. de Bon Secours (France) The sailing vessel was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 10 nautical miles (19 km) south south west of the La Jument Lighthouse, Finistère by SM UC-16 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Nominoe (France) The three-masted schooner was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 8 nautical miles (15 km) off Ar Men, Finistère by SM UC-16 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Oiz Mendi (Spain) The cargo ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 54 nautical miles (100 km) south west of The Lizard, Cornwall, United Kingdom (49°09′N 5°15′W) by SM UC-17 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Marie Caroussi (Greece) The cargo ship capsized off Jersey Channel islands. Eight survivors were rescued by Director ( United Kingdom).
Polpedn (United Kingdom) The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the English Channel 20 nautical miles (37 km) south of Littlehampton, West Sussex by SM UB-38 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Professeur Jalaguier (France) The brigantine was sunk in the English Channel 25 nautical miles (46 km) east north east of Barfleur, Manche by SM UB-38 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Salangane (France) The sailing vessel was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 18 nautical miles (33 km) west south west of Ar Men by SM UC-16 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Ullvang (Norway) The coaster was sunk in the English Channel 30 nautical miles (56 km) off Cap la Hève, Seine-Maritime, France (50°10′N 0°30′W) by SM UB-38 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
No. 4 (Imperial Japanese Navy) The Holland-type submarine sank in the Inland Sea of Japan (approximately 34°30′N 133°00′E) due to an internal explosion with the loss of two of her sixteen crew. She was later raised, repaired and returned to service.

Old 11-14-16, 03:09 PM   #1919
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

November 14, 1916

Air War:
1630 German pilot Heinrich Gontermann, flying a Halberstadt D.II, shoots down an FE.2b for victory number 1.

German pilot Walter Göttsch, in an Albatros D.II, destroys a Belgian observation balloon for victory number 1.

Celtic Sea:
Gerhard Berger, commanding U-50, sinks British trawler Hatsuse, 282 tons, bringing his score to 9 ships and 25,365 tons.

Egon von Werner, in UC-16, sinks three small French vessels near Ushant:
Dandy Notre Dame de Bon Secours, 81 tons, en route from Swansea to Quimper.
Schooner Nominoe, 327 tons.
Schooner Salangane, 125 tons, bound from Swansea for La Rochelle.
Von Werner's score is now 37 ships and 41,124 tons.

English Channel:
Erwin Waßner, in UB-38, sinks three Allied ships:
British freighter SS Polpedn, 1,510 tons, travelling in ballast from Dunkerue to Ayr.
French brigantine Professeur Jalaguier, 223 tons, route and cargo unknown.
Norwegian freighter SS Ullvang, 639 tons, carrying a load of military stores from Liverpool to Fécamp.
Waßner's score is now 33 ships and 30,932 tons.

Ralph Wenninger, in UC-17, sinks two ships at the west end of the Channel:
Spanish freighter SS Oiz Mendi, 2,104 tons, carrying a load of iron ore from Aua Anarga to Middlesbrough.
French schooner Alcyon, 59 tons, scuttled.
Wenninger's score is now 19 ships and 8,223 tons.

Greek freighter SS Marie Caroussi, 1,832 tons, capsizes off the Isle of Jersey.

North Sea:
Danish freighter SS Bornholm, 840 tons, departs the Tyne River for Rouen and is not heard from again.

Greece:
French armored cruiser Burdigala, 12,009 tons, hits a mine laid by Gustav Seiß in U-73 off St. Nicholas Harbor, Kea Island. Seiß's score is now 11 ships and 38,701 tons.

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 02-18-17 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-15-16, 12:42 PM   #1920
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

15th November 1916

Western Front

Somme, south: Germans gain footing west of St Pierre Vaast Wood and eastern part of Pressoir; fail to gain Ablaincourt.

Eastern Front

Romanian retreat continued; Germans bring heavy guns through Torzburg Pass and capture Targu Jiu (Jiu Valley).

Southern Front

Advance on Monastir: French and Serbs capture monastery of Jaratok; French and Russians at River Viro (four miles south of Monastir).

Tunnel through Taurus range on Baghdad railway pierced.

British seaplanes bombard Zeebrugge and Ostend.

Political, etc.

Russia declares the creation of the Kingdom of Poland by Germany and Austria-Hungary as illegal and void.

Some New York hotels & restaurants postpone New Year’s Eve celebration to Jan 1st, as Dec 31 falls on Sunday when alcohol is restricted.

Ship Losses:

Briantais (France) The barque was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 200 nautical miles (370 km) west of Ouessant, Finistère by SM U-49 (Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew were rescued.
Crescendo (Canada) The schooner was run into by a trawler and sank at Queenstown, County Cork, Ireland.
F. Matarazzo (United Kingdom) The collier was torpedoed and sunk in the Mediterranean Sea 26 nautical miles (48 km) east north east of Linosa, Italy (35°05′N 13°20′E) by SM U-64 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
La Rochejacquelein (France) The three-masted barque was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 15 nautical miles (28 km) west south west of The Lizard, Cornwall, United Kingdom by SM UC-17 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Lorca (United Kingdom) The cargo ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 200 nautical miles (370 km) west of Ouessant by SM U-49 ( Kaiserliche Marine) with the loss of all 32 crew.
Torridal (Norway) The coaster was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 30 nautical miles (56 km) north east of Ouessant (48°50′N 4°39′W) by SM UC-17 ( Kaiserliche Marine).

"The German Blight In Belgium" (Western Mail cartoon).