Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-21-12, 03:48 PM   #46
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmoon View Post
I just wanted to weigh in on the 3/10 download limit imposed by this site. Your requirement that I post something, just so that I can d/l an extra few items per day must have a purpose. If it's to foster community it may work for some, but for others it will mean posting something just to gain a few extra downloads. Happily I can voice my distaste at your d/l limits and gain my extra d/l's per day all at the same time. Not sure if that's a win win or not?
Subsim currently has more than 76,000 registered members, and recieved more than 9,000 visits in the last 24 hours. How many of those posted something, and how many downloaded something? I'm not sure how much it costs just to maintain the servers for those 24 hours, but the last time we had a fund drive we faced the problem of possibly having to close the download section for lack of funds. If you haven't donated then somebody else is paying for your "free" downloads. We don't ask that you pay, and we don't have a donation requirement for downloads. All we ask is that you give back a little time to the community. If that's too much to ask, then would you prefer that we started charging for downloads? How much more would you complain then?

Or would it be better if the Downloads section was just closed?
Old 08-21-12, 06:42 PM   #47
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

i have a great solution for all those who cant tolerate a limit of 10 downloads per day, lets just close and eliminate the download section altogether. that way you wont have to be subjected to such draconian regulations that seam to be such a hardship on you.

all those in favor of ending the horrible draconian download limit buy closing the download section say aye

i for one wouldnt mind if neal started charging $1 per download, if he did that i would even remove all my mods elsewhere to be sure people have to come here to get them.
Old 08-21-12, 11:56 PM   #48
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
ilets just close and eliminate the download section altogether. that way you wont have to be subjected to such draconian regulations that seam to be such a hardship on you.
Not a bad idea, really.

Quote:
all those in favor of ending the horrible draconian download limit buy closing the download section say aye
Nay, but only because I'm biased.

Quote:
i for one wouldnt mind if neal started charging $1 per download, if he did that i would even remove all my mods elsewhere to be sure people have to come here to get them.
Also not a bad idea. I don't put my meager mods up anywhere else anyway.
Old 09-08-12, 01:29 AM   #49
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998
Uploads: 0

this limit is good for as has been said IT takes money to run this site. if what Neal says is true it takes about $7800 a year to maintain this site.

i don't like the per download suggestion maybe a subscription system like X amount of dollars a month gets you Y amount of downloads a day/week.

Last edited by Webster; 09-08-12 at 03:35 PM.
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 03:36 PM   #50
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstriker View Post
this limit is good for as has been said IT takes money to run this site. if what Neal says is true it takes about $7800 a year to maintain this site.

i don't like the per download suggestion maybe a subscription system like X amount of dollars a month gets you Y amount of downloads a day/week.
the trouble with subscriptions is once you get your downloads you dont often need much anymore so the average user gets 20-30 downloads when starting out then "maybe" only need or want 2-5 downloads a year after that.

the system we have works great its just that a new member who needs or wants those 20-30 mods has to do it over 2 or 3 days and if thats asking too much of them then i think they are asking a bit much from a completely free to use service thats neal spends his money, time, and effort to provide to our members.

a bit of looking a gift horse in the mouth i think
Old 09-08-12, 03:51 PM   #51
flostt
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 86

Quote:

the system we have works great its just that a new member who needs or wants those 20-30 mods has to do it over 2 or 3 days and if thats asking too much of them then i think they are asking a bit much from a completely free to use service thats neal spends his money, time, and effort to provide to our members.

That sums it up very nicely!!!
Old 09-08-12, 05:35 PM   #52
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flostt View Post
That sums it up very nicely!!!
I couldn't agree more
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-12, 08:50 PM   #53
Raven-505
Swabbie

Downloads: 47
Why?

At first, I was a little annoyed by the fact that the list that I, and a good majority of other people, are using (Sober's), there are over 50 mods to get on before I can start really playing the game. I admit, that's mostly what I've been doing is downloading since I got here. But I see the Admin.'s point to costs. So, I'm cool with it. Besides, with all of the mods, it's good for me to go slow and read the notes to how to setup the mods. If there was no limit, I'd be blazing away and overlook something, crash the whole thing, and have to start over. Besides, I believe in this site and the products that are produced here, so I donated. I'm no free-loader, with ALL of the mods, it's definitely worth a little money back to them. What I've learned here has greatly improved the game for me, and have learned some stuff about subs I didn't know. So, short story long, I don't see a problem with the setup here. If your someone who can't get over the fact of 10 downloads a day, go somewhere else. You may get a site with no limit. You may get mods with diminished quality. You may strike gold. I don't see much need in complaining about petty things like that.
Raven-505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-12, 01:22 PM   #54
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

^ ^ ^

Now that's the way to look on the bright side of things..."it could be worse!"

WELCOME ABOARD!
Old 09-19-12, 03:51 PM   #55
pagansmudge
Swabbie

Downloads: 36

At the end of the day waiting a few days will teach people patience, something that is need in the game. and things could by a lot worse.

This is a call for support to the entire ARMA/OFP community, all gamers and non-gamers alike.

As many of you might know, two of Bohemia Interactive's developers, Ivan Buchta, and Martin Pezlar, are currently detained in a prison in Greece, charged with allegations of spying.

check out full stoy here

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?
Old 09-19-12, 08:47 PM   #56
Sabatasso
Swabbie

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Any idiot who gets a free horse checks the teeth... the horse didn't come free for no reason, obviously?

Not saying I wouldn't want a horse with bad teeth, it just means that it isn't as useful as one with good teeth.

I've waited years for this game (SH5) to be playable, I can easily wait a few more days or even a week.
Sabatasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-12, 02:09 AM   #57
hanspetterbre
Swabbie

Downloads: 31

I dont like it
hanspetterbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-12, 02:11 AM   #58
hanspetterbre
Swabbie

Downloads: 31

DOnt like it
hanspetterbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-12, 10:26 AM   #59
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanspetterbre View Post
DOnt like it
i don't like it either but thats life.
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-12, 11:40 AM   #60
Lewis Wingerter
Planesman

Downloads: 282

I have NO PROBLEMS with the download restriction. I am not a molder, I need the mod maker(great bunch of guys) files to play the game the way Ubisoft should had. Every file I download I save. I still have file I downloaded for SH 1 and 2(haven't played in years). It must be a nightmare for Neal to make sure he has enough money to pay the fee to keep up the board. My hat is off to Neal I will live with the restriction. I will keep donating to Neal to keep this great board going.
Lewis Wingerter is offline   Reply With Quote