SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-15-08, 06:56 PM   #1
Roaringdisaster
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Best Gaming Laptop?

Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I've posted.
Hoping someone can direct me to a thread on the 'Best Gaming Laptops', i'm sure there must be a few...just can't find them.
I've moved back into the NorthSea after a spell in the Gulf and I have some more 'free-time' on my hands, whilst offshore (working!!), so I am looking to buy myself a christmas present to while away the time bobing aboutin the sea for a month at a time!

I have been looking at all the specs of the various laptops on the market but as you know the more you look the more confused you tend to get.
I use my PC at home (when the wife alows me), Silent Hunter III & IV with heavy graphic mods is the only game I ever play, so obviously, I thought I should consult the experts.... you guys!

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Roaringdisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-08, 09:16 PM   #2
Harleyman
Watch

Hey...I'm very new here...First day...But I found this for you...

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...gaming+laptops

My wife has a gateway FX 19" notebook...From Bestbuy.......Its awsome..It has a 2.2 gig CPU ( I think) and an 8800 card with 3 gigs ram.......

Thats a start...i will see if I can find you a link for it....

Here it is...I lied...its a 17 inch...And comes with up to a 2.8 CPU...Its fast and awsome...

http://www.electronista.com/articles...y.fx.notebook/

Last edited by Harleyman; 11-15-08 at 09:21 PM.
Harleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 08:40 AM   #3
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Heck, Harleyman, that ought to about do it!:p There is a disclaimer on the SH4 box that says that they don't guarantee support for notebook graphics cards but we all know from others around here that ain't necessarily so. I can't imagine the 8800 beast not working just fine.

Every time I help someone buy a notebook, I end up recommending a Hewlett Packard. I've tried to find others I would like better, but haven't had any success at all! Just bought my daughter an HP tx2635us and it just awesomely rocks! We didn't get the 8800 graphics because she doesn't do games, but in everything else it makes my Monster desktop look like a Model T. I even like the 64 bit Windows Vista. It's set up much less like a demented pit bull than Dell sets up their notebooks.

The big glitch so far has been getting rid of bloatware. Well, everything uninstalls normally, except, of course, Norton Anti-virus, which by design crashes your system when you uninstall it. On reboot, it rehooks itself and hits you with the nag screen again. I generally don't like the death penalty because of the possibility of a non-recoverable error when you terminate the wrong person, but I'd make several dozen exceptions for the executives of Norton.

My computer will operate my way. Anybody taking control of my property and using it for their purposes is committing a crime of conversion or theft. They need to go to jail. In this case they need to die horribly, slowly and in a way not amenable to the constitution of the United States.

Even when I start Silent Hunter 4, a batch file terminates Process Explorer, runs Silent Hunter and restarts Process Explorer. Then I snoop on SH4 to my heart's content. "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and Property." Thomas Jefferson's original wording of the Declaration of Independence. Personal freedom begins and ends with the sanctity of property rights, which should be interfered with as reluctantly as we would interfere on the surface with three angry Akizukes.

OK, I'll get down now. Sorry, lost control of the process there....

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 11-16-08 at 08:58 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 11:21 AM   #4
Harleyman
Watch

Man...i have never had a problem getting Norton aff a machine....Hmmmmmm

But it is a true PIG on a slim system..Or even a great system for that matter.......

Now a days I just build my own..Its way cheaper,and works way faster and better and more responsive that the off the shelf ones...But not notebooks..Noooo Not me.......LOL Don't know the first thing about them............

BTW....i was feeling your patrotic speech there..........Why stop?
Old 11-16-08, 01:40 PM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

My brand of patriotism has just been handed a temporary if narrow defeat by someone who does not believe the words of his fellow Democrat, "Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."

We now live in a world where the majority of Americans no longer believe that: who no longer believe that peace comes through uncorrupted use of strength, or that the most powerful nation on the face of the earth has an obligation to use that power for the greater good of all. They have denied the existence of good and evil itself and live only to entertain themselves with ever more extravagant possessions, lifestyle and frivolity. Their hostility is reserved only for those who would stand in their self-serving way.

Fortunately, moral bankruptcy is self-limiting. Events quickly either kill the practitioners because of their inability or disinclination to defend themselves (after all, they have abandoned any sense that there are things worth dying for. Therefore they will die for nothing) or those events force them to change their ways, much as World War II did to the United States.

I now leave my soapbox again, to pursue the perfection of my Slightly Subnuclear Cutie.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 11-16-08 at 01:42 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 02:30 PM   #6
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

The only sure way to get rid of all norton crapware is reformat.

I have been useing AVG 8.0 for about a year without a problem.

Price $ free.00

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 11:27 PM   #7
Urge
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Oh Yeah, I love a good political argument, can we co-opt the OP with a political slugfest??
Quote:
who no longer believe that peace comes through uncorrupted use of strength
Are we talking about the fascist criminals who came into power 8 years ago wrapped in the flag and carrying a bible?
Quote:
that the most powerful nation on the face of the earth has an obligation to use that power for the greater good of all
morally bankrupt politicians who lied and schemed their way into this war in Iraq for the greater good of who? Big Oil, Haliburton, Blackwater etc. making obscene profits while thousands of Americans and untold hundreds of thousands of Iraqis die! I am at least hopeful that the new administration have a lttle integrity. I'm stepping down off MY soapbox now but I'm looking over my shoulder to make sure no one is throwing it at me.

Urge
Old 11-17-08, 08:22 AM   #8
Te Kaha
Navy Dude

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 2

Back to topic, I use a Hewlett Packard Pavilion, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GS, and SH4 runs fine here.
Te Kaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-08, 10:51 AM   #9
Harleyman
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Kaha
Back to topic, I use a Hewlett Packard Pavilion, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GS, and SH4 runs fine here.

Isen't a Pavillion a desktop?

I think hes after a notebook as hes in the service and needs small and easy to move....
Old 11-21-08, 03:50 PM   #10
Etienne
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1

Pavillion are laptop. I used to have one... Rugged little thing.

I have a Dell XPS M1730 right now. Gigantic, but awesome... But the GIGANTIC must be mentionned, as well as the BEHEMOTIC POWER SUPPLY OF DOOM.

It's huge. But it is sweet... I only move it once every few months (When I go from boat to boat or from boat to home) so the size doesn't matter that much to me.

Of course, it's Dell, so there are glitches, but nothing major so far.

Remember : They don't weight your carry on.
Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-08, 05:55 PM   #11
silentrunner
Watch Officer

I've heard that Dell XPS, and Alienware laptops are the best gaming laptops, but I have never had either so I am not really sure.

silentrunner is offline   Reply With Quote