SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-05-08, 03:59 AM   #1
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0
New Case & PSU!

I recently upgraded my computer & thought I'd use my old computer case, it is a Cooler Master Centurion, very sturdy & looks good, the only problem is the new electronics run a lot hotter! I have 2 80mm exaust fans and one 120mm intake fan, my old system ran at near room temperature but this one is about 20 degrees hotter, at the moment it is around 21 degrees room temp but the case temp is 38, the GPU with fan speed at 85% is 42 degrees! as soon as I take the side panel off the temp drops rapidly, so I figured I'd get a new case!
Problem is I purchased a Thermaltake V9, nowhere near the quality of the old but has a top 230mm fan (big mother), and 2 120mm fans not including the PSU. ofcourse I overlooked something! the position of the PSU is now on the bottom & draws air from below and vents straight out the box, this is good except that the feet of the case are only a few mm's high and with carpet almost flat to the floor so I had to fit larger ones, also now the leads are too short, especially the 4 pin 12v cpu plug, so yes, I have to try and find a new PSU with longer leads, a pain since no one advertises the cable length, not even the manufacturers website give this info, most annoying!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-08, 09:29 PM   #2
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Which power connectors do you need extended? MB? IDE or Sata power? Vid card pwr input?

I don't know of any Mainboard power connectors that will increase the length. Old IDE wiring wasn't hard to find a power patch cable. I havent seen many for SATA but I have seen a few. Vid card pwr inputs normally use an IDE type (4 pin) power plug and thus can be extended with the standard power patch.

As for the lack of space in the bottom, is this under a desk or something? Cut a small wooden board to a size of the square created by the feet and let the PC stand on that. This will allow airflow without creating a "tipsy" machine or a "ugly" look. Because the board will be smaller than the full base of the case, the board will sink into the carpet enough to not be noticable, but will keep the case high enough to allow some air to be pulled under the case and upward by your fans. Its VERY important that if you do this - either keep the area VERY clean or put a filter over the fan to keep out FOD and dust.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-08, 11:17 PM   #3
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Modular cable psu. Too many to list.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-08, 12:28 AM   #4
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
Filter over the fan to keep out FOD and dust.
Done!
Quote:
I don't know of any Mainboard power connectors that will increase the length.
No it's a pain, the main motherboard cable is ok, the 4 pin 12v one that is too short, I could unsolder from the PSU board & extend but the 4 pin CD/DVD cables are too short as well, the PSU is a generic one so I may have to invest in a brand name one! Would be nice to know the length before purchasing but looks like a gamble, would love one like the Thermaltake ToughPower 750w but these are very expensive! cables plug into the side of the PSU, so you only use what you need & extending would be a lot easier.
Quote:
Modular cable psu. Too many to list.
This is probably the type I'm thinking of FIREWALL, might do a search and see what I can find.
Thanks.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-08, 05:34 AM   #5
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece
I recently upgraded my computer & thought I'd use my old computer case, it is a Cooler Master Centurion, very sturdy & looks good, the only problem is the new electronics run a lot hotter! I have 2 80mm exaust fans and one 120mm intake fan, my old system ran at near room temperature but this one is about 20 degrees hotter, at the moment it is around 21 degrees room temp but the case temp is 38, the GPU with fan speed at 85% is 42 degrees! as soon as I take the side panel off the temp drops rapidly, so I figured I'd get a new case!
Problem is I purchased a Thermaltake V9, nowhere near the quality of the old but has a top 230mm fan (big mother), and 2 120mm fans not including the PSU. ofcourse I overlooked something! the position of the PSU is now on the bottom & draws air from below and vents straight out the box, this is good except that the feet of the case are only a few mm's high and with carpet almost flat to the floor so I had to fit larger ones, also now the leads are too short, especially the 4 pin 12v cpu plug, so yes, I have to try and find a new PSU with longer leads, a pain since no one advertises the cable length, not even the manufacturers website give this info, most annoying!

Don't worry about the short 4 pin to 12v cpu plug.
I had the same problem with the corsair hx 620 power supply in a silverstone tj-09 case. The cpu lead was too short, so instead of buying a different power supply (corsair hx series kicks ass) I just bough a 2€ adapter that gave me that extra 10-15 cm. :p
Having a power supply on the bottom of the case is so much better, airflow wise and temperature wise.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote