SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-24-08, 01:09 PM   #16
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylander_1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamWake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachstar
I am forced to used Vista on my next PC build due to OpenGL failing on the market. I have already spent hours trying to unload the crap that came with a dell the parents bought.

I am thinking about ditching the shell it comes with altogether and going with BlackBox for Windows for it too.

I am afraid. No telling what Vista nightmares lay ahead for me. Yet I know I will have to do serious studying so I don't unload something critical.
Thats what reformats are for

2 Gigs of ram is pretty much standard these days

Im avoiding vista as best I can. Our office is local networked with mostly xp machines, the two vista machines absolutly refuse to recognize the network exists
That's because the XP machines have not been assymilated.
Actually i found vista is a bully and a sore looser to owning the networks. It likes to rule over the rest... If it doesn't get its way its say no...:p
Old 10-24-08, 01:09 PM   #17
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylander_1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamWake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachstar
I am forced to used Vista on my next PC build due to OpenGL failing on the market. I have already spent hours trying to unload the crap that came with a dell the parents bought.

I am thinking about ditching the shell it comes with altogether and going with BlackBox for Windows for it too.

I am afraid. No telling what Vista nightmares lay ahead for me. Yet I know I will have to do serious studying so I don't unload something critical.
Thats what reformats are for

2 Gigs of ram is pretty much standard these days

Im avoiding vista as best I can. Our office is local networked with mostly xp machines, the two vista machines absolutly refuse to recognize the network exists
That's because the XP machines have not been assymilated.
Actually i found vista is a bully and a sore looser to owning the networks. It likes to rule over the rest... If it doesn't get its way its say no...:p
Old 10-24-08, 01:31 PM   #18
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0

What I said from the beginning. Running XP just fine. The only thing that bothers me a little is the issue with 4GB RAM (only 3.2 recognized).

Bye bye, Windows Me II.

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 01:34 PM   #19
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Ah btw, this time Microsoft won't announce or hype their new OS very much. Otherwise no one would by Vista in the mean time. Windows 7 will come over us like a storm.

And I actually think it will be pretty good this time around.

Old 10-24-08, 01:36 PM   #20
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0
Windows 7 is Windows Vista Second Edition.
You hate Vista ? You'll hate Windows 7. :p
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 01:47 PM   #21
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Nevermind, I don't need that crap anyway.

Old 10-24-08, 05:09 PM   #22
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak
Windows 7 is Windows Vista Second Edition.
You hate Vista ? You'll hate Windows 7. :p
Well I used to hate XP when it came out. I hated ME before that and my only reall favorite was 98.

I didn't really like 95 because I prefered PCDos then.

So for Vista ya I hate some features but hey like its predecessors you can turn options on or off. So I'm sure windows 7 I will hate too then I will like it when its works right.
Old 10-24-08, 07:21 PM   #23
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

You are probably right Wolfhunter, the best time to buy though is after the first service pack has been released. The most upsetting thing is that there is no compatition, all game are made to run in the windows environment, so there will only ever be windows, a shame though, with competition quality would be better & price a lot lower, this is why I have an AMD/ATI system, Intel may be faster but can you imagine if AMD had to fold up, well I'd rather not!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 07:38 PM   #24
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

My question is this. XP is a good OS ! Why mess with a nice, fairly compatable and stable OS to put a new, bloated piece of crap one on the market !?! Why not just keep XP and add the support for the new and upcoming hardware to it instead of constantly dumping new OS's on us all the time !
Old 10-24-08, 07:54 PM   #25
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

Anouther way for MS to get money out of people. Everyone and there brother is gona rush out and get it, and find out it is no better than what they had, just prettyer.
Old 10-24-08, 08:22 PM   #26
fatty
The Old Man

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklight
My question is this. XP is a good OS ! Why mess with a nice, fairly compatable and stable OS to put a new, bloated piece of crap one on the market !?! Why not just keep XP and add the support for the new and upcoming hardware to it instead of constantly dumping new OS's on us all the time !
Because then nobody would make any money.
fatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 08:32 PM   #27
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Quote:
Its good now. When XP came out many hardwares were not compatible like DDR memory. SDRAM worked fine but I had so many clients bitch when the newer DDR memory didn't work. Especially the dual channels when they first appeared.

Many blue screen lol. SP1 fixed alot of stuff.

Many people forget these things.

I like XP it works very good. But I hated it when if first came out. It was a plague for hardware compatibility.

I used to preach that I would never switch from 98 sec to xp. Well that was a lie to myself then.

Everything released today sucks, everything release 10 years ago sucked and 10 years before that too... sucked at first. That is the way of the computer world dudes. These laws never changed since the 23 years I have tinkered with them.

I doubt it will change in the next decade.
Old 10-24-08, 11:25 PM   #28
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

Quote:
Everything released today sucks, everything release 10 years ago sucked and 10 years before that too... sucked at first.
I don't ever recall DOS sucking though. I always thought that it was pretty darn rock solid. I loved DOS and miss it actually, especially DOS 6.
Old 10-24-08, 11:41 PM   #29
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Quote:
Quote:
Everything released today sucks, everything release 10 years ago sucked and 10 years before that too... sucked at first.
I don't ever recall DOS sucking though. I always thought that it was pretty darn rock solid. I loved DOS and miss it actually, especially DOS 6.
Earliest Dos I've owned was version 2.1 I still have them and the box plus uber books. I can't seem to toss them into the can. I missed those days too. I used to make my configure floppy disk for each game so it ran purfectly...

Anyhow I wasn't talking about dos but Microsoft....

I still have windows 3.0 and 3.1 somewhere in my storage.
Old 10-24-08, 11:58 PM   #30
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

I don't like piracy but sometimes I don't blame people for doing so, have you looked at the price of the Retail Vista 64 Ultimate, ranges between $500 & $800! It was bad enough with XP but this is rediculous! Maybe I could mortgage my house!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote