SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-25-08, 12:25 AM   #31
silentrunner
Watch Officer

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I don't really care what Micro$oft claims anymore. I will never install one of there os's again. Really the only reason I can see for anyone to use Windows is if they are a hardcore gamer, and since I am not. I will stick with a good Slack

silentrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-08, 12:57 AM   #32
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
Earliest Dos I've owned was version 2.1 I still have them and the box plus uber books. I can't seem to toss them into the can. I missed those days too. I used to make my configure floppy disk for each game so it ran purfectly...

Anyhow I wasn't talking about dos but Microsoft....

I still have windows 3.0 and 3.1 somewhere in my storage.
What about good old cp/m, concurrent dos, machine and assembly language, those were the days, if Digital research had taken the IBM PC seriously things would be a lot different now!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 08:17 PM   #33
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Addressing another complaint about Vista, Microsoft said Windows 7 will be faster and need less memory to run. Vista generally needs costlier hardware configurations than the older Windows XP.

Sinofsky held up a "netbook" -- a low-cost, low-power laptop that would have a hard time running Vista -- and said it's working with Windows 7.

Microsoft to unveil test version of Windows 7
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/biztech/10/28/microsoft.windows.ap/index.html

Old 10-28-08, 08:49 PM   #34
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Its a cosmetic change mostly - stripped down - yes - but to what end. Its a Vista kernel without all the useless crap that was designed for users who couldnt spell "PC" - but its real purpose will be to run web based software. End result - a very robust PalmPilot type "portable" OS.

Don't expect this to be a great gaming OS folks. It is being "built" on an established kernel, so it should be SOLID - but depending on how feature stripped they make it, it will likely be less than game friendly in most of its "versions".

Like with Vista, there will be "flavors" - at least Home and Pro as there was with XP. And like with XP, and with Vista - the lower version will be more limited in features and capability.

This is designed really more for the business market at this point - the idea being going back to central architecture - "web based computing", "Running in the cloud", etc - are all terms that ultimately make the "pc" more and more into a dumb terminal. Expect a new version of server side sftw with this as well - geared toward serving those cloud terminals with the applications.

If your going to game with this - just like with Vista - your going to want to go with the full featured version- aka Ultimate under vista. I am not saying its going to be a bad OS - just that its purpose is not going to best serve the Power Gamer under most conditions.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 08:54 PM   #35
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Wolfehunter nailed it.... I am an old DOS dinosaur myself - started out like that. Fact is DOS had its gaming issues. Remember copy con config.sys just to make something work right? How about tweaking IRQ and DMA settings manually just to get that Soundblaster, clone, or Turtle Beach card working right? DOS was great in many ways - but for those of us who worked it for years - it was nowhere near perfect either!

With that said - I will admit - thank the powers that be for DosBox!!!!!

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-08, 07:47 AM   #36
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo
Wolfehunter nailed it.... I am an old DOS dinosaur myself - started out like that. Fact is DOS had its gaming issues. Remember copy con config.sys just to make something work right? How about tweaking IRQ and DMA settings manually just to get that Soundblaster, clone, or Turtle Beach card working right? DOS was great in many ways - but for those of us who worked it for years - it was nowhere near perfect either!

Yup I remember my dad dropping off the old IBM PC jr. Was the best give a 12 year old boy can have. I had no manuals no training... Just common sense and trial and error by my side.

I remember cracking my first config.sys files. Man that was the happiest time in my life.

I'm actually looking forward to the new windows 7. If it is only the basic OS and no crap then I can put what I want in it just fine.:hmm:

If thats what their intending on making.
Old 11-17-08, 11:09 AM   #37
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo

I always wanted a Turtle beach card but could never afford it.

On the subject at hand, Vista has some issue but most were drivers, they are fixing other bugs now and then and will continue to as time goes on. It reminds me when win2k came out. It was the next platform from NT and gawd did it have issues, but 6 Service Packs later and they fixed it. Coming out with XP they created more issue but fixed it with 3 service packs. As far as Vista being bloatware, you can turn off the fancy stuff if you like, but it was designed for a more robust system.
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-08, 11:57 AM   #38
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 13

Vista is designed for people who do not know how to use a computer well at all.

And frankly you had 2 decades (Dos games were out in force by '88) to get ready so if you do not know how to use a PC effectively by know. You need to go to the local branch of the library and read up.

After you disable all the BS services, the help bloatware, The fancy themes and all that.. XP and Vista are actually nice OS systems. (Especially now that gaming is basically extinct again on Linux) Yet so far is has become a nightmare to disable them on Vista and that is what is killing it.

Windows 7 has to make it easier to run bare bones. System, Anti-Malware, Drivers, Shell.

Zachstar is offline   Reply With Quote