SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-27-08, 12:06 AM   #16
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachstar
Thanks for the info but I really REALLY need to stick to budget here. Otherwise I will run out of budget for the video card.

For cooling the tower I am getting is considered great http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119047

Memory I have been told needs to be http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231166 so ill update the list to that.

Power supply is 900W

Cooling I know will be an issue but not a big one until I decide to overclock. Which will not happen until the PC has been running smoothly for a few months.

Tho just in case I plan to leave room for an extra fan. The one I am looking at on Newegg (120mm) can pull ALOT of air (So much air they say it causes noise from turbulence)

For Vista I confirmed it to indeed be 64bit http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116488 (Atleast it comes with a media center)
Yep that should do. Just try to keep the temps down on the new rig. Heat is such a pain todeal with. Don't be averse if it needs a little boost to modify the case to pop a big one in on the top of the case to help expell the heat. Or what I used to do, was to leave the side cover off, and place a boxfan to blow all the cool air you need into the case.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 12:23 AM   #17
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 13

Problem is a boxfan is extremely loud and from what I hear can actually cause turbulence in that side direct way that creates hotspots.

Besides it is butt ugly doing so. At 1k the PC ought to atleast look as good as a 200 dollar one.

I will test without the extra purchase fan for now. With plans to get that beast of a 120mm fan when it comes time to OC.

Zachstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 11:32 PM   #18
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Just letting everyone know that I have finalized the mobo, case, ram, and sound system.

I will likely finalize the CPU and PSU soon because I seriously want that combo deal.

Old 10-31-08, 12:44 AM   #19
Subsim Monitor
System Monitor Bot

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 3

What did you decide on? I would pitch in with ideas, but I'm scouting out my next PC too. :p
Subsim Monitor  is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 04:12 AM   #20
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Same as noted above. Except I added a 5.1 speaker system (At the price I am getting for it's good reviews I will not complain if it is not digital) and a headset.

I am getting overbudget here tho and I am looking forward to just finishing this build. I already know it will need a big MLU (300-500) in late 2009 so I have to find a finishing point.

With moniter this build (After a 200 USD video card) will be over 1200 USD for a 2 year PC. It will be the last time I will do a build unless costs drop dramatically.

To be honest I am feeling rather stupid for doing this. Sure it will be a monster when I first boot. Yet by the time it needs replacing I am sure it will be like this one.

For those searching around I suggest keep the build under 500 USD with card and accept doing another build each year and every year. A 500 USD will be plenty for Farcry 2 and SH5.

Old 11-07-08, 03:00 PM   #21
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Well bad news folks!

Newegg address verification system sucks and after two tries with newegg they have failed to ship twice. Forcing me to abandon this project.

Times are bad for the united states and I perhaps need to stretch this current computer for a little longer.

With a new video card and another hard drive and a month of cleaning up. It will be fine for the current Valve games, World of Warcraft and DVR work...

The good news is of course I will be able to skip windows vista COMPLETELY!!! And go straight to Windows 7 when I try again next year!

I can get this thing going for one more year with 300USD. And I will discuss that in another topic.

However if anyone is looking to do a build I hope you will check out this topic. The shining jewel is by far the Mobo with its onboard HD graphics processor. Meaning with another ATI card you can crossfire!

I want to thank everyone who put in the time to help me on this one. I look forward to trying again next year (Likely with core i7)