SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-01-08, 04:20 PM   #301
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

HARDCORE SUBSIM SKIPPER

Old 09-01-08, 08:28 PM   #302
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by msb80sc
ROLE-PLAYING SUBSIM SKIPPER
Your taste in sub and naval games runs the gamut from Grey Wolf to Silent Hunter 4. You have tried them all, at varying realism options. You're a lit-tle old-er than the typical subsim skipper, and probably remember using a tape cassette player to load programs onto your Radio Shack TRS-80. (Or perhaps you're wise beyond your years.) Your primary joy is using your imagination to put yourself into the game. You are able to overlook little details like the crew appearing instantly on the bridge, or wonky AI: to you, these are easily worked into the story as a crew who are really light on their feet, and frigates that have green skippers. The game platform gets you halfway there, your imagination does the rest. You spend lots of time setting up your crew management so it's just right and may even talk to them. You relish managing support and logistics in games like Pacific Storm, Navy Field, and Silent War.
I got this same result, and other have pointed out it's really quite uncanny how exact that description of my play style is. And sadly, I do remember my old cassette drives! Though these days when I try to relate that story to younger coworkers they don't even know what a cassette is much less what it was used for.

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 10:32 PM   #303
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Worthy of a 12th anniversary bump.

What kind of subsim skipper are you?
Everyone brags about how many tons he has sunk, or his polished firing point procedures. Talk is cheap. Subsim, in conjunction with NASA and the National Academy of Sciences, has formulated a simple quiz that will define the kind of subsim skipper you are.

SUBSIM SKIPPER QUIZ

Caution: taking the test more than once invalidates the results
Old 01-26-09, 10:43 PM   #304
Hybris
Officer

Downloads: 40

HARDCORE SUBSIM SKIPPER No doubt about it, you are hardcore. You are the kind of subsim player who pins up the Kriegsmarine gridmap on your wall, you use a redlamp when playing at night, your wife lets you know her mother is visiting by shouting "Alarm!" and you didn't know--or care--that Silent Hunter III has a save game feature. You cut your teeth plotting attacks in Gato, sank 28,000 tons in your first Aces of the Deep patrol, and played Dangerous Waters at 100% realism. You scoff at wannabes who whine about some niggling detail in a subsim but use the red triangle-infested auto TDC and auto-map updates. You never, ever, use anything but full realism.
You are the "sim" in Subsim.

Sadly this is very accurate of my style only I have never played Dagerous Waters or Aces of the Deep the only sub game before SH3 (later on SH4) was the orginal SH and using unlimited torps and fuel (I was 6 years old at the time) I sank 100 ships before going to port just to get the top medal. Oh how things have changed.

"All submariners have one universal wish regardless of nation, cause, or creed. That wish is that the boat goes up and stay up one more time then it goes down."
~Hybris 8/22/07
Hybris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 10:45 PM   #305
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
Worthy of a 12th anniversary bump.

What kind of subsim skipper are you?

Everyone brags about how many tons he has sunk, or his polished firing point procedures. Talk is cheap. Subsim, in conjunction with NASA and the National Academy of Sciences, has formulated a simple quiz that will define the kind of subsim skipper you are.

SUBSIM SKIPPER QUIZ

Caution: taking the test more than once invalidates the results
Quote:
HARDCORE SUBSIM SKIPPER No doubt about it, you are hardcore. You are the kind of subsim player who pins up the Kriegsmarine gridmap on your wall, you use a redlamp when playing at night, your wife lets you know her mother is visiting by shouting "Alarm!" and you didn't know--or care--that Silent Hunter III has a save game feature. You cut your teeth plotting attacks in Gato, sank 28,000 tons in your first Aces of the Deep patrol, and played Dangerous Waters at 100% realism. You scoff at wannabes who whine about some niggling detail in a subsim but use the red triangle-infested auto TDC and auto-map updates. You never, ever, use anything but full realism.

Pam wins, even if they are fake.
Old 01-26-09, 11:59 PM   #306
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

It said I'm HARDCORE. Then it said lookout !!!

Their all GAY !!! :p :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 04:59 AM   #307
Hmuda
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 27

CASUAL SUBSIM SKIPPER
You fell in love with Aces of the Deep. Your playing style is relaxed, more for fun than historical accuracy. (Partially true. If I had to chose, I would say somewhere in between fun and historical accuracy, leaning slightly towards the second) You always play Sub Command or Dangerous Waters from the NavMap (rightclick is your friend), if you ever ventured to play them at all. (Nope. Silent Hunter all the way ) Probably you prefer WWII subsims like Silent Hunter 3, SH4 and Aces. You may try the manual TDC, (Duh...) but you prefer to leave the auto map contacts on, (blank maps scare you). (I leave it on, but only to eliminate the tedious and unnecessary hinderance of determening position from the hydrophones :P ) Even though you know submarine skippers missed targets occasionally in real life, you cannot resist reloading a mission to take another shot at a 10,000-tonne troopship that got away. (Again, partially true. I SOMETIMES reload if I missed, but I always accept duds. Even if all my torps were useless.) One ship, one torpedo, finished off with the deck gun--that's the creed you live by. (Yep. Why waste the main form of attack if I can safely gun them down? Convoys are another story however. Those are torps only. :P)
Old 01-27-09, 02:27 PM   #308
Red Lord of Chaos
Watch

Downloads: 2

Hardcore Subsim Skipper
Old 01-27-09, 03:54 PM   #309
Vandrith
A-ganger

Downloads: 19

CASUAL SUBSIM SKIPPER You fell in love with Aces of the Deep. Your playing style is relaxed, more for fun than historical accuracy. You always play Sub Command or Dangerous Waters from the NavMap (rightclick is your friend), if you ever ventured to play them at all. Probably you prefer WWII subsims like Silent Hunter 3, SH4 and Aces. You may try the manual TDC, but you prefer to leave the auto map contacts on, (blank maps scare you). Even though you know submarine skippers missed targets occasionally in real life, you cannot resist reloading a mission to take another shot at a 10,000-tonne troopship that got away. One ship, one torpedo, finished off with the deck gun--that's the creed you live by

I would agree

Sig by Gunfighter
Vandrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 06:02 PM   #310
Nephandus
Seaman

Downloads: 13

HARDCORE SUBSIM SKIPPER
No doubt about it, you are hardcore. You are the kind of subsim player who pins up the Kriegsmarine gridmap on your wall, you use a redlamp when playing at night, your wife lets you know her mother is visiting by shouting "Alarm!" and you didn't know--or care--that Silent Hunter III has a save game feature. You cut your teeth plotting attacks in Gato, sank 28,000 tons in your first Aces of the Deep patrol, and played Dangerous Waters at 100% realism. You scoff at wannabes who whine about some niggling detail in a subsim but use the red triangle-infested auto TDC and auto-map updates. You never, ever, use anything but full realism.

Well.... I haven't actually played Aces of the Deep or Dangerous Waters.... But I did enjoy Silent Service I&II, 688i Hunter/Killer and Sub Command before turning to SH III and IV. But I must say, I use the savegame feature as I hate it having a tense attack just to be interrupted by a CTD.

One disturbing fact might be, that my office phone with customisable alerts is set to a diving alert, a surface alert or a general quarters alert depending on who is calling
Nephandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-09, 02:29 PM   #311
Shado
Seaman

Downloads: 1203
Default Hardcore baby

HARDCORE SUBSIM SKIPPERNo doubt about it, you are hardcore. You are the kind of subsim player who pins up the Kriegsmarine gridmap on your wall, you use a redlamp when playing at night, your wife lets you know her mother is visiting by shouting "Alarm!" and you didn't know--or care--that Silent Hunter III has a save game feature. You cut your teeth plotting attacks in Gato, sank 28,000 tons in your first Aces of the Deep patrol, and played Dangerous Waters at 100% realism. You scoff at wannabes who whine about some niggling detail in a subsim but use the red triangle-infested auto TDC and auto-map updates. You never, ever, use anything but full realism.

Just don't tell my wife ok?:rotfl:
Shado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-09, 02:44 PM   #312
Soundman
Commodore

Downloads: 60

STRATEGIC SUBSIM SKIPPER
For you, Silent Hunter 4 is just Battleship with shiny, moving pieces. You see the big picture, you think long term, and you are indifferent to political consequences. They would not have put you in charge of a $2 billion attack sub if they didn't want you to use it. You learned that back in Red Storm Rising and you never forgot. You prefer handling large scale operations like Fleet Command and Fighting Steel. Half your time is spent setting up mind-numbingly complex battle plans, with 8 layers of contingencies. You pray for the day Sonalysts will release a ballistic missile sub. With nukes. Every day is a good day for the other side to die. Your motto is "Be my friend or be a mushroom cloud."
Soundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-09, 10:38 PM   #313
surf_ten
Loader

I think that somewhat applies, but I would say I am more of a role playing skipper.

STRATEGIC SUBSIM SKIPPER
For you, Silent Hunter 4 is just Battleship with shiny, moving pieces. You see the big picture, you think long term, and you are indifferent to political consequences. They would not have put you in charge of a $2 billion attack sub if they didn't want you to use it. You learned that back in Red Storm Rising and you never forgot. You prefer handling large scale operations like Fleet Command and Fighting Steel. Half your time is spent setting up mind-numbingly complex battle plans, with 8 layers of contingencies. You pray for the day Sonalysts will release a ballistic missile sub. With nukes. Every day is a good day for the other side to die. Your motto is "Be my friend or be a mushroom cloud."
surf_ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 01:33 AM   #314
Cooter1966
Loader

ROLE-PLAYING SUBSIM SKIPPER
Your taste in sub and naval games runs the gamut from Grey Wolf to Silent Hunter 4. You have tried them all, at varying realism options. You're a lit-tle old-er than the typical subsim skipper, and probably remember using a tape cassette player to load programs onto your Radio Shack TRS-80. (Or perhaps you're wise beyond your years.) Your primary joy is using your imagination to put yourself into the game. You are able to overlook little details like the crew appearing instantly on the bridge, or wonky AI: to you, these are easily worked into the story as a crew who are really light on their feet, and frigates that have green skippers. The game platform gets you halfway there, your imagination does the rest. You spend lots of time setting up your crew management so it's just right and may even talk to them. You relish managing support and logistics in games like Pacific Storm, Navy Field, and Silent War.

Yeah.....That's pretty accurate.
Cooter1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 02:53 AM   #315
Wilhelm Keppler
Watch

Downloads: 0

Attacking in surface, choose "fattest" targets, torpedoes 1-4..los..and dive deep fast. That is my style