SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-27-10, 08:09 PM   #1
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6
Default Having a sudden slow start up with Vista

My experience with Vista has been a thrill it's fast enough for me though I do maintain my PC with registry cleaner from time to time and use a reliable firewall and AV.

But since yesterday every time I boot up the PC it would start normally until I sign in to my account and then all start up system tray would load perfectly but the taskbar would be frozen and I couldn't start anything from my desktop shortcut. The network icon would sometimes appear to load last and after about a minute or a minute and a half only then I regained control of my PC.

I ran two different registry cleaner and all reported my system registry to be clean.

I checked the start up item and found no suspicious entry.
I even disabled the Windows defender of fear it might conflict with my COMODO.

But all to no avail.

Checked COMODO installation through their in built diagnostics and it didn't report any problem.

Disabling sidebar at start up didn't help either.

Ran HijackThis and found no suspicion entry too

Ran msconfig and set to boot with maximum memory besides booting with all cores.

Checked BIOS and turned off displaying full logo(couldn't find anything more useful to help with booting)

The only thing I haven't tried is reinstalling COMODO but I'm so reluctant to do this.

Does anyone have any idea?
I thought I post here as the internet seems to work wonder for me. I posted about the women who was an annoying nuisance at my church and she was no longer there in the weekend . Maybe she read my post or found a new religion such as self worship or whatever(about time) LOL

Last edited by Castout; 05-27-10 at 08:34 PM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-10, 03:24 AM   #2
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Might be your Comodo, im running that though its 95% of the time disabled unless im opening a zip file or want to install some app i enabled it. You might have Comodo set to scan your drives on startup? No response for 30seconds or so. Otherwise rely on Malwarebytes - full scan. Then again its Vista aint that bloatware heaven OS

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-10, 05:27 AM   #3
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Uploads: 0
Default I use

Vista Services Optimizer

This is a useful tool to stop services that are not needed. Vista / windows in general assume you are a business system and need everything.

You may also have malware that is loading up.
Old 05-28-10, 07:33 AM   #4
Castout
Silent Hunter

I suspect a malware loading up or my COMODO going bust but the diagnostics tells me my COMOD is fine.

Had a chat with a person who read my blog and who claimed to be from Singapore. I'm aware that due to my critics in my blog the Singapore Police Force keep a watch on my writing(and that's what my blog stats are telling me).

The symptom I'm having only occurred since the day I had that weird chat from that Singaporean. He claimed to have been harassed and all but he claimed to have been diagnosed with anxiety disorder. Funny thing all in all the things he was saying didn't add up and some even contradictory and he repeatedly refused to answer some of my critical questions and many times pretended he misunderstood (or twisting) what I wrote in my blog. I suspect the guy worked for the SPF or anything similar. I may have been hacked to.

Of course there had been other instances of my PC being hacked into after I visited certain Israeli site but the guy seemed to be an ethical hacker and didn't cause any damage. I just realized it when a window popping up(my document folder opened by itself in a new window) without my input. :-)

I'm aware that ethics is the last thing that Singapore [corrupt] authority respects. I'm obliged by past experience and circumstances to assume this until otherwise.

Anyway a new CIS 4.1 is coming out soon so I read so I'll find out soon enough by installing CIS 4.1 from scratch.
For now I'll try Kiwi suggestion to turn off memory scan at start up though this was never an issue before.

Last edited by Castout; 05-28-10 at 08:06 AM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-10, 06:51 PM   #5
Castout
Silent Hunter

Turning off memory scan at start up didn't help a bit.

So I'll wait for CIS 4.1 before doing a complete reinstall of CIS.