Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-02-22, 07:38 PM   #1
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375
Uploads: 0
Default health

figure i let you guys know i'm not doing too good,have to give the cigarettes up do more workouts anyway monday the doc told me she worry about congessive heart Failure so if you guys see me getting rowdy on here put a good looking young lady Infront of me get my attention then tackle me and hogtie me and throw me in the cooler
Old 11-02-22, 08:04 PM   #2
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by les green01 View Post
figure i let you guys know i'm not doing too good,have to give the cigarettes up do more workouts anyway monday the doc told me she worry about congessive heart Failure so if you guys see me getting rowdy on here put a good looking young lady Infront of me get my attention then tackle me and hogtie me and throw me in the cooler
No time like the present to stop smoking and get in shape. Here’s to getting in and staying in good health!

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-22, 08:40 PM   #3
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
No time like the present to stop smoking and get in shape. Here’s to getting in and staying in good health!
thanks smoking since i was 8 wasn't a good thing get back into Marine Corp shape going be the object
Old 11-02-22, 09:05 PM   #4
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

I started smoking at age 11 and was up to a couple of packs a day by the time a heart attack forced me to quit them 36 years later. That was 15 years ago and I am still kicking so it can be done.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-22, 09:26 PM   #5
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Sorry to hear of your health issues. Hopefully you are able to quit smoking and that puts you on the path to becoming more healthy. Best wishes for a happy and healthy recovery.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-22, 03:00 AM   #6
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ this

@les green01 sorry to hear this, have smoked myself for some time until i decided to quit. And those workouts can be a chore but they are absolutely necessary.
We went sailing and i did not take cigarettes with me, going to be distracted by manoeuvering and navigation anyway. The others did not smoke or so i remembered. When we boarded two had just begun smoking, and some 50 cigarette packets with them.. but i resisted.
Wish you a speedy recovery, keep your head up

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-22, 07:06 AM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Smoked from the age of fourteen before giving them up in 2010 after 39 years.

Good luck with your health

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-22, 07:16 AM   #8
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I started to smoke in the dark from when I was 11-12 years old and smoked openly when I was 16-17.
Have gone from ordinary cig to e-cig did this late last year.
It's nothing but nicotine and tobacco flavour

My smell has returned.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-22, 10:09 AM   #9
Shady Bill
Silent but not deadly

Downloads: 16

Good luck with getting back into boot camp shape. I would try to replace the smoking habit with a different habit. I can recommend both chess and vodka to keep the mind sharp and the body in shape.

I would also take what a doctor says with a grain of salt. They don't make money off of healthy people...they will always find something. My dad was diagnosed with your condition. That was in 2008 or 2009 and he is 87 now.
Shady Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-22, 10:42 AM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyBill
boot camp shape
My dad, an ex-WWII bomber eng.nav Lt. on B29s, smoked 3 packs of Camel no-filters a day before switching to Marlborough menthols...alongside copiously quaffing Dewer's scotch! He also had pipes and a great jar of pipe tobacco. He quit in his seventies, still besting many young punks at his favorite game: tennis! My understanding is it's the white-paper's chemicals that are most carcinogenically harmful; I've known alot of old codgers who smoked cigars...into their 90's!!?? For myself, I puffed on a tossed smoking butt left by my dad at around 5-6 years old, immediately started coughing wretchedly, and never did it again; having instantly determined smoking wasn't good and maybe dad wasn't so bright. ATTN Les: resurrect some old Marine pack, 1 full canteen, and your 'possibles bag' and do 10,000 steps a day; wear a poncho or waterproof serape on rainy days to keep your flint-rifle powder dry! That's all the workout you'll need! "Semper Fi"tness BBY! I'll be with U in spirit!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-22, 07:21 PM   #11
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

thanks all i smoke the last lucky strike i got the old sea bag out going fill it full and jump on the treadmill for added fun could throw the m-1a on
Old 11-04-22, 11:47 AM   #12
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
My dad, an ex-WWII bomber eng.nav Lt. on B29s, smoked 3 packs of Camel no-filters a day before switching to Marlborough menthols...alongside copiously quaffing Dewer's scotch! He also had pipes and a great jar of pipe tobacco. He quit in his seventies, still besting many young punks at his favorite game: tennis! My understanding is it's the white-paper's chemicals that are most carcinogenically harmful; I've known alot of old codgers who smoked cigars...into their 90's!!?? For myself, I puffed on a tossed smoking butt left by my dad at around 5-6 years old, immediately started coughing wretchedly, and never did it again; having instantly determined smoking wasn't good and maybe dad wasn't so bright. ATTN Les: resurrect some old Marine pack, 1 full canteen, and your 'possibles bag' and do 10,000 steps a day; wear a poncho or waterproof serape on rainy days to keep your flint-rifle powder dry! That's all the workout you'll need! "Semper Fi"tness BBY! I'll be with U in spirit!7
You bring up a good point. I’d say most of today’s health problems stem from a sedentary life style more than anything else. Take congestive heart failure for instance, it isn’t so much a disease than it is a symptom of sitting on your ass all day. You have to keep moving, hike, bike, walk in the park, go mushroom hunting, swim, fish, do something besides watch TV or drive to the doctors office.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-22, 12:13 PM   #13
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

I'm finding that advice increasingly difficult to follow as I progress through my 60's. It's much worse now that I am working from home too. My office chair is literally a dozen steps from our bed room.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-22, 06:54 AM   #14
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Les, if anyone can do it, I know you can.