It's this HAARP thing who are responsible for this

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 12:52 PM   #17
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

I read somewhere that Pacific ocean currents - the el nino, la nina thing has pulled the jet stream South which is sucking all this Arctic cold weather over North America.

Hopefully winter will return to the more bearable temps we are used to by mid January. My heat bill is ridiculous.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 12:56 PM   #18
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

This guy is responsible:

Old 01-03-18, 01:32 PM   #19
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kptlt. Neuerburg View Post
I mean really -16F in Jacksonville by the 6th?! For some reason this weather reminds me of the movie "The Day After Tomorrow". So what next bowling ball sized hail in Tokyo?
There goes the price of orange juice ... I was paying $3.00 for a bottle and now it's $5.00 for the same size and now it will probably go up to $6.00.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 01:38 PM   #20
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Always vitamin C in a pill. Just add water!
Old 01-03-18, 02:24 PM   #21
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Putin? Again?
Great there goes another six months of Federal Government inactivity and spending on nothing as they make a big deal trying to sort this out, and fail miserably. By then it will be June, and it will sort itself out.
Old 01-03-18, 04:36 PM   #22
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

It was a brisk 7 degrees F this morning when I walked the dogs.
Old 01-03-18, 04:50 PM   #23
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

64,4 degrees Fahrenheit/18 degrees Celsius and storm. In january!?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 06:06 PM   #24
komi
Sailor man

Best of luck folks! I've heard how rough it can get in places like the Atlantic seaboard. Stay safe
komi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 06:14 PM   #25
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
The further north one travels the more they find folks address these storms without issue. Just another day for most. Some welcome it and enjoy getting shut in for a day or two. I have a friend in NH who every year posts pictures of firewood stacking and putting away his convertible mustang for winter. Just a way of life for them. However, go to GA and snowflake shuts the state down for days on end. I recall BO during his first term(2011) made a joke about closing of federal buildings and schools as a result of 1 inch of snow on the ground in DC. Keeping in mind BO lived in Chicago. He got beat up a bit over it.

Doesn't "getting shut in for a day or two" mean the same thing as "shuts the state down for days" ? Sounds the same to me
Old 01-03-18, 07:33 PM   #26
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Doesn't "getting shut in for a day or two" mean the same thing as "shuts the state down for days" ? Sounds the same to me
Nope, up here, those who know they can't drive in the snow just signal defeat and stay home. Schools close because they know some kids will get frostbite, and it's not worth the risk of a bus accident. But everybody else just keeps plodding along. We (northerners) usually keep enough snow plows on hand to handle all but the worst of storms. Usually roads are passable during the storms, and fully cleared within 12-18 hours.

Short of massive power failures do to storms, I can't remember a blizzard stopping me from going anywhere, or shutting down the city.

It's just not economical for southern states to keep a fleet of plows available. Here, we have plows that tow other unmanned plows, in the other lane.

Where I went to school in up up up state New York, they had old halftracks converted to plows for some of the back roads.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 01:20 AM   #27
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kptlt. Neuerburg View Post
I mean really -16F in Jacksonville by the 6th?! For some reason this weather reminds me of the movie "The Day After Tomorrow". So what next bowling ball sized hail in Tokyo?
We sometimes get a few days of -30C in Moscow, and Moscow climate is mild by Russian standards. But then we have central heating.

As a rule (if you are not fammiliar with cold weather conditions) I would advise covering exposed facial features, ie nose and ears, at temperatures below -20, wearing a hat, gloves, 4 layers of regular clothing (ie T-shirt->shirt->sweatshirt->regular jacket/coat), including multiple layers for your legs (ie not just underwear and parts/trousers/jeans).

For buildings you need to ensure that there is no free airflow through unauthorised openings (ie cracks in the window frames), if there are - tape them. If you have any piping in the area that may freese - make sure there is no water in the piping or it may crack.
Old 01-04-18, 06:14 AM   #28
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Oh great. This weather bomb is heading my way. Expecting to start around noon AST. Lots of snow/changing to rain, winds gusting to 110 km/h (68 mp/h). Also higher than normal tides could cause damaging storm surge along coastal areas. Schools are closed and people are being warned to stay off roads. Of course my wife and daughter are going to work. Probably be a short day.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 07:41 AM   #29
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

It sounds pretty intense.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/3/16...orm-east-coast

Quote:
A bomb cyclone happens when atmospheric pressure in the middle of the storm drops at least 24 millibars over 24 hours, quickly increasing in intensity. (The lower the pressure, the stronger the storm.) This particular bomb cyclone sweeping through the East Coast is forecasted to drop by 36 millibars, which is a lot. According to Martin, it means the storm is going to lose the equivalent of about 3.5 percent of the entire mass of the whole atmosphere, from the ground to outer space. “It’s exceptionally intense,” he says. “That’s the most unusual thing about this storm.”
Old 01-04-18, 07:46 AM   #30
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

The sun is just coming up here and it looks like we've gotten about six inches of snow so far. It's tough to tell because the wind is gusting pretty hard. Some spots have drifts of twelve inches or more. Other places I can still see the grass poking through.

My wife is off today, but where I work there is no closing because of weather. If you can't make it in on your own, they'll come get you. :/

Why do I keep forgetting to buy a snow shovel?! Digging the car out with a regular shovel is back-breaking work. Wish me luck!
Sean C is offline   Reply With Quote