SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-18-17, 08:44 AM   #1
JesterV2
A-ganger

Downloads: 208
Uploads: 4
Default New Project?

Hey guys!, i'm having a hard choosing what submarine to make.
i have a couple in mind but i cant choose!

-USS Nautilus
-HMS Amphion (very difficult to find ship plans for)
-Dolfijn Class Submarine (VERY interesting triple hull design)

Pop some suggestions!
JesterV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 10:50 AM   #2
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Nautilus/Narwhal You only need to do the hull, keltos did already a great job with the tower
Old 01-18-17, 11:09 AM   #3
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

I'm with Hitman.....the Nautilus SS-168 would be a great choice. Modeling its twin Mark 17 wet mounting 6"/53 caliber guns would be a big big addition too! I'd love to have that boat with the FOTRSU mod we're working on!.

By the way, your work on the Guppy Class is absolutely great!! I really like it.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 11:59 AM   #4
JesterV2
A-ganger

Thanks cap'n!

Actually i meant the USS Nautilus as in the very first nuclear submarine

But ill look into it!

my next project will take a while, because i'm going to experiment on alot of stuff.
Old 01-18-17, 03:22 PM   #5
Fevereiro
Swabbie

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

A little bit selfish, but what about the British Oberon class?, a personal favourite
Fevereiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 04:43 PM   #6
JesterV2
A-ganger

Oberon is pretty indeed! adding her to my list!
This makes it even more difficult though
Old 01-18-17, 06:12 PM   #7
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1789
Default IJN boats

I think you should try and do something with the IJN boats in Keltos Jyunsen B mod. He's got the models of about 10 different boats in there and all of them are in varying stages of completion. At least you would have something to start with. It would be really cool to have those models completed.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 06:35 PM   #8
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
I think you should try and do something with the IJN boats in Keltos Jyunsen B mod. He's got the models of about 10 different boats in there and all of them are in varying stages of completion. At least you would have something to start with. It would be really cool to have those models completed.
To go even maybe one step further would be to have them become AI boats which could be used in FOTRSU, with keltos42 pewrmission, of course.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-17, 04:58 AM   #9
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterV2 View Post
Hey guys!, i'm having a hard choosing what submarine to make.
i have a couple in mind but i cant choose!

-USS Nautilus
-HMS Amphion (very difficult to find ship plans for)
-Dolfijn Class Submarine (VERY interesting triple hull design)

Pop some suggestions!

Hey, with what you're looking at, you seem to be concentrating on post-war / 1950s era stuff, and in that vein I can think of no more cleaner, squared off design than the Skate class (with the Nautilus a close second then followed by the Tangs and Darter).

I'd also consider myself a fan of the Seawolf SSN-575 design with the big V-bow. Not sure what they were thinking there (V-Bow for surface handling on a nuclear boat that is basically only going to surface to tie up) but it was an interesting look.

I already mentioned to you the idea of the earlier GUPPY Is circa 1947, but another, much more hypothetical direction is the "Ultimate fleet boat" that was in one of the USN design dream books. It was basically a Tench with additional torpedo tubes (I think either 8 front and back or 8 front six back) and 6 small side-launching external tubes in the conning tower for Cuties. As it was this was buried when the rest of the submarine program was cancelled in 44-45 as it was deemed unnecessary (there were well on their way to winning the war without needing to design and build such boats).

Another thing I've always thought was missing from this game, despite their marginal contribution to the war, some of the pre-war USN submarines like the Cachalote and Dolphin classes or even the big, slow and ugly (but probably interesting to sculpt in 3D) Barracudas. My interest here is how difficult they might be to patrol with, could make for some fun and challenging game-play.

As far as your three considerations, Dolfijn could be really interesting with its triangular layout. As for Amphion, were you thinking the post-war streamlined (which also has some similarities to what they did with some of the S and T boats post-war) or the wartime one that has the dagger bow and the AA turret built into the conning tower like the XXI boats?

One last thing, another post-war design that I've always found interesting is the small Barracuda class of SSK subs. They look very fleet-boat-esque (aside from the huge sonar dome on the front) but in an S-class sized package. Interesting austere design that was made to investigate the possibility of mass-producing cheap and simple submarines in-case of wartime (a submarine version of the Flower class Corvette). Ultimately they proved to be a dead end, too small, too slow, not really good at anything more than listening and lying in wait, they were mostly used for ASW training in the 50s and 60s.

Anyways sorry for going on at length, please don't think that I expect you to create any of these, just wanted to throw it all out there as food for thought.

Last edited by The Bandit; 01-20-17 at 07:25 AM.
The Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-17, 09:52 AM   #10
Factor
Weps

Downloads: 180

Is the Nautilus SS-168 still a pay mod here on subsim? I know it was like almost 10 years ago.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-17, 04:59 PM   #11
JesterV2
A-ganger

Thank you all for the suggestions!

And thank you The Bandit! very informative!

indeed you are right, i dont expect you to expect me to make models you want, because i do this for fun! and i want to keep it fun, so i make models i think i will enjoy making.

I decided to make the Dolfijn class submarine. I know alot of dutchies roam around this forum and would love to see it in game.

I do want to contribute though, so i like the idea of remaking the models in the IJN boats in Keltos Jyunsen B mod. after i finished the Dolfijn i will contact keltos and hopefully over time remake the models of the submarines in his mod (i cant wait myself to have a playable I-400 in game!)

And for the earlier GUPPY Boats, as they are not that hard to make since i have to templates lying around, i should make some more and cover a greater time period from when they were first introduced to the GUPPY III modification (which is already done, so that's nice)

I hope you guys understand!

Now i'm going to grab me a beer and enjoy my evening, Cheers!
Old 01-20-17, 06:31 PM   #12
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1789
Default Awesome!

I am very happy with what you have done so far Jester and I think that you are on your way to becoming one of the premier modelers of SH4. That is great that you will do the IJN models because Keltos put in a lot of work on what is there and I feel that the work should be completed. That chapter can be closed and it would make a lot of people happy.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-17, 07:48 AM   #13
JesterV2
A-ganger

Thank you J0313!

i just found out that the Dolfijn class is actually the Potvis class, not sure how i made that mistake