Closed Thread

Old 10-07-18, 10:06 AM   #5551
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Oooh, what an Ice Burn! Your grandfathers seemed pretty grateful for our Banana Republic when we liberated you from your neighbors back in '44.
Most of the Netherlands was liberated by the First Canadian Army.
Old 10-07-18, 10:10 AM   #5552
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
An extremely fanatical conservative and anti-abortion agenda for which the supreme Court now has alasting, consevative majority for years to come, inside which Kavanaugh always can try hard to influence and outvote opposing opinions by more liberal judges.

Its about the majority in the court. And you know that.Your question-asking is purely rhetorical.
Sky you just think you understand American's, but you don't understand women. No way are they going to go back to the way things were. Your not going to tell a woman what to do. If the Supreme Court did overturn Roe vs Wade (a woman's right to terminate her baby) women would only have to chose their other options of going across the borders of America or to the Caribbean or even overseas (for the richer ones).

The fear of what Judge Cavanaugh would do to women's rights was and is a political arrow of the left wing to overthrow the present regime.

Bottom line is that it is not going to happen ... not in an election year and not in my life time will the law of Row vs Wade be over turned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roe_v._Wade
Quote:
is a landmark decision issued in 1973 by the United States Supreme Court on the issue of the constitutionality of laws that criminalized or restricted access to abortions
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 10-07-18, 10:13 AM   #5553
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Hot, just in! Abortion war in America declared over and done! Polarization between conservatism and liberalism no longer an issue! State institutions now reassessed as being fully politically neutral and unbiased, because historian research says "Its written on this paper"! People prepare for unconditional love breaking out! Power is no longer fought for.

What a relief!
Old 10-07-18, 12:13 PM   #5554
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Most of the Netherlands was liberated by the First Canadian Army.
Yer welcome.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online  
Old 10-07-18, 12:33 PM   #5555
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31
Icon10

Canadians British and Polish to be exact. US involvement was limited to Patton's army near Maastricht and the 101st and 82nd during the Battle of Arnhem. We saved a lot of downed US pilots and bomber crew. Apart from that, who supported you lot when you fought against the British for your independence? Indeed, the Dutch Republic as well as the French. So you can thank us for that you bunch of ungrateful colonials!

Hazza!
Old 10-07-18, 12:40 PM   #5556
u crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Bottom line is that it is not going to happen ... not in an election year and not in my life time will the law of Row vs Wade be over turned.
I believe you are right. When it comes to social issues like abortion, same sex marriage and legalized pot, there's no going back. For better or worse there is no way of reversing these decisions without incurring the wrath of the public.

There is no doubt that people voted for Trump because of his promise to nominate conservative judges to the Supreme court. And no doubt many believed this would lead to reversing Roe v Wade. They should have known better. Ain't gonna happen. That's not saying that having highly qualified people like ‎Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh on the bench is a bad thing. Time will tell.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online  
Old 10-07-18, 02:21 PM   #5557
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
There is no doubt that people voted for Trump because of his promise to nominate conservative judges to the Supreme court. And no doubt many believed this would lead to reversing Roe v Wade. They should have known better. Ain't gonna happen. That's not saying that having highly qualified people like ‎Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh on the bench is a bad thing. Time will tell.

I don't want to see Rove v. Wade reversed but like Kavanaugh I think that precedent should be buttressed by laws specifically legalizing the practice, maybe even a new constitutional amendment so that the arguments he mentioned (and are being cast by the leftists as his own) cannot be used to reverse it.

What really makes me happy about the conservative tilt to SCOTUS is on the 2nd Amendment. Kavanaugh gives us a 5-4 pro RKBA court. I'll be even happier if Trump gets to replace Ginsburg too.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
Old 10-07-18, 02:40 PM   #5558
u crank

Quote:
I'll be even happier if Trump gets to replace Ginsburg too.
The two oldest Justices are Ginsburg age 85 and Stephen Breyer, age 80. Both are from the liberal side of the court. Democrats would lose their minds if Trump got to replace both of them.

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online  
Old 10-07-18, 03:56 PM   #5559
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikaga View Post
Canadians British and Polish to be exact. US involvement was limited to Patton's army near Maastricht and the 101st and 82nd during the Battle of Arnhem. We saved a lot of downed US pilots and bomber crew. Apart from that, who supported you lot when you fought against the British for your independence? Indeed, the Dutch Republic as well as the French. So you can thank us for that you bunch of ungrateful colonials!

Hazza!

Well that's a far different tune than what your countrymen were singing the last time I was there.

The ones I met (perhaps they were biased being Nijmegeners) believed that Monty and the Brits had unnecessarily made a bloody shambles of their country and they wished that it had been the US running that part of the front instead. Now i'm not saying that had they got their wish we would really have done any better, but do you seriously think that anyone would have been along to liberate you at all without the US?

I mean if you want to call the efforts of the 82nd and 101st "limited" well that's one thing but even aside from the fact that a sizable part of the commonwealth forces was operating equipment that was made in the USA, there's no escaping that if it weren't for us there would have been no west front invasion in 1944 or maybe ever. In fact your liberators, if they ever came at all, would likely have been talking Russian.

As for our revolution I believe that Dutch support was limited to some financial loans and secret arms shipments no? French soldiers fought side by side with Americans. They shed their blood, gave their lives and eventually bankrupted themselves for our cause. That is not really the same thing, but thanks all the same and definitely mega dittos for not turning our downed bomber crews over to the Gestapo! You folks are just awesome!

Old 10-07-18, 04:25 PM   #5560
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
The two oldest Justices are Ginsburg age 85 and Stephen Breyer, age 80. Both are from the liberal side of the court. Democrats would lose their minds if Trump got to replace both of them.

Heads would literally explode.

Actually seven Constitutionalists and a couple liberal firebrands for flavor almost sounds like a good mix for SCOTUS.

Old 10-07-18, 04:51 PM   #5561
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
They already had one, and as I recall, it didn't work out. Ran on a platform of making Germany great again too.

I don't think we're planning to put those 26 million illegal immigrants currently in the USA into ovens so.... yeah Donald Trump = Adolf Hitler
Old 10-07-18, 06:02 PM   #5562
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

I never said he was and I don't think your average German was planning for that outcome either, but it did happen, and shows what can happen when the press is no longer free to criticize, and question, and be a thorn in the sides of politicians. Especially noisy ones that don't care what they say seemingly, or who gets hurt in the process.

No, he's not Hitler, I don't think he's smart enough to be that.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Old 10-07-18, 08:03 PM   #5563
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
No, he's not Hitler, I don't think he's smart enough to be that.

Interesting that you'd see hitler, a man who led his country to complete destruction, as smart.

Old 10-08-18, 01:06 PM   #5564
mako88sb
XO

Quote:
Well that's a far different tune than what your countrymen were singing the last time I was there.

The ones I met (perhaps they were biased being Nijmegeners) believed that Monty and the Brits had unnecessarily made a bloody shambles of their country

I read Alan Brooke war diaries not too long ago and was surprised to see how little is mentioned about Market-Garden. He did state though, that he thought Monty should have concentrated on clearing the Scheldt instead.
Old 10-08-18, 01:29 PM   #5565
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
... No, he's not Hitler, I don't think he's smart enough to be that.

The type is (thank god) stupid as bean straw.
Unfortunately, he has now done so much damage that no one can calculate the impact.

Closed Thread

Tags
biden, clinton, election, harris, obama, politics, trump, twitter