SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-18-14, 08:59 AM   #2356
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 225
Uploads: 0

That is a good idea. Well, I sent you and privateer a message, but TDW's message box is full As usual.

So here is the file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdctygiivb..._Mar13_test.7z

test mission: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b42f4t24cke8bod/MineTest.7z
Targor Avelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-14, 09:03 AM   #2357
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targor Avelany View Post
That is a good idea. Well, I sent you and privateer a message, but TDW's message box is full As usual.

So here is the file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdctygiivb..._Mar13_test.7z
Got your files and replied to your PM
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-14, 04:47 PM   #2358
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Got your files and replied to your PM
Ditto.
Old 03-18-14, 05:04 PM   #2359
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Thank you guys very much!
Old 03-18-14, 05:30 PM   #2360
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Thank you guys very much!
Max, looking into your GR2 file I have found the following possible causes of it not being collisionable yet:
  • File name and and model/skeleton/main bone names are mismatched (they all should be named MK17_SeaMine, or whatever you want as long as you use the same name for all of them);
  • Seeing that your model is composed by just one mesh, I don't see reason for linking it to a child bone of the main bone (MK17_SeaMine_body). I suppose that linking it to the main bone (MK17_SeaMine) would be enough;
  • The damage model should be linked directly to a child bone of the main bone (not to 0_Not_Used)
  • The damage model and its bone should be named DMG_Col_MK17_SeaMine, not col_dmg_MK17_SeaMine. Do you see the difference?

Moreover, I have the following additional suggestions (not related to collision detection):
  • I see that both the visible model and the collision model are composed of three subsets each. One subset per mesh would be enough though, as you are only using one material for all the subsets.
  • I see you are using the same 3d model as visible mesh and collision mesh. This is not an error, but it is a waste or resources. You can use a low poly model as collision mesh (I am currently creating one for you).

I will keep you informed in case I find other possible mistakes
Old 03-20-14, 11:12 AM   #2361
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Hey gap,

Thanks for looking it over, I really appreciate it. At this point I'm not that worried about the cosmetics stuff (like using same model for the dmg), it is the fact of making it work that is annoying me.

I have re-done everything as you have suggested and still unable to make it work. There are coupole of things happen:

1) If I try and delete what used to be MK17_SeaMine_body bone at any point of time, while re-assigning the mesh itself to the root bone: Goblin will not show that mesh any longer (I'll send you an example).
2) Through bone-binding moving body mesh to the root bone and leaving the other bone as is: cannot change names of the bones w/o affecting the meshes and vice versa, as I have mentioned previously.
3) Even with all the advices taken into account and name assignment proper, the collision does not work. I'm really starting to think is it possible that I am not doing it correctly when I actually bring the GR2 file over into Sh5 and assign controllers/collisions/dmg in Goblin Editor?

Not sure. Will try something today again and will see if it works.
Old 03-20-14, 02:12 PM   #2362
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
At this point I'm not that worried about the cosmetics stuff (like using same model for the dmg)...
In my previous post I said that meshes used for collision model are not relevant to collision detection (as far as they enclose the visible model, indeed), but after a second thought they actually could be part of the puzzle. As I have noted before, the model you are currently using is composed of three subsets. Since stock collision models have always just one subset, the game might only consider subset0 for collision detection.

Quote:
I have re-done everything as you have suggested and still unable to make it work. There are coupole of things happen:

1) If I try and delete what used to be MK17_SeaMine_body bone at any point of time, while re-assigning the mesh itself to the root bone: Goblin will not show that mesh any longer (I'll send you an example).

2) Through bone-binding moving body mesh to the root bone and leaving the other bone as is: cannot change names of the bones w/o affecting the meshes and vice versa, as I have mentioned previously.
there might be a workaround to both problems:
change MK17_SeaMine_body's parent to -1 (World);
move all the bones previously linked to MK17_SeaMine, to MK17_SeaMine_body;
remove MK17_SeaMine;
rename MK17_SeaMine_body (mesh and relative bone) to MK17_SeaMine

Quote:
3) Even with all the advices taken into account and name assignment proper, the collision does not work. I'm really starting to think is it possible that I am not doing it correctly when I actually bring the GR2 file over into Sh5 and assign controllers/collisions/dmg in Goblin Editor?
I have actually spotted another mistake in your zon file: you should move the SH3ZonesCtrl and CollisionableObject controllers from collision model's bone to the main bone (MK17_SeaMine).
If you don't succeed moving visible meshes to main model's bone, better having two SH3ZonesCtrl controllers: one with damage boxes on the main bone, and the other will collision spheres on MK17_SeaMine_body (the one that the model visible is directly linked to). Dunno if this structure is really required, but most SH5 units I have seen use it.

Last edited by gap; 03-20-14 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-20-14, 02:17 PM   #2363
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
I have actually spotted another mistake in your zon file: you should move the SH3ZonesCtrl and CollisionableObject controllers from collision model's bone to the main bone (MK17_SeaMine).
That actually doesn't work either way. Tried it both ways to no avail.

Quote:
In my previous post I said that meshes used for collision model are not relevant to collision detection (as far as they enclose the visible model, indeed), but after a second thought they actually could be part of the puzzle. As I have noted before, the model you are currently using is composed of three subsets. Since stock collision models have always just one subset, the game might only consider subset0 for collision detection.
That is an interesting option. I will try this today.
Old 03-20-14, 03:46 PM   #2364
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
That actually doesn't work either way. Tried it both ways to no avail.
Trust me, those controllers must point to the main bone. You can check yourself: look into the mines currently used by OH, or at any other collisionable unit in game; in no case collision controllers are owned by the DMG_Col_* bone.

Found another mistake by the way: the damage zone of your model has no type assigned. Should be 221 (mine)

Quote:
That is an interesting option. I will try this today.
Let me know
Old 03-24-14, 04:47 PM   #2365
gap
Navy Seal

@ TDW (again)

While helping Targor with his floating mine I have met a few more drabacks which are probably related to the file that we imported the model in.
I can post a full report, if you are still into improving your editor
Old 03-24-14, 04:57 PM   #2366
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
@ TDW (again)

While helping Targor with his floating mine I have met a few more drabacks which are probably related to the file that we imported the model in.
I can post a full report, if you are still into improving your editor
I'm always willing to fix errors. Not sure when I'll get to it but post away Exciting times with my patcher currently
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 05:11 PM   #2367
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
I'm always willing to fix errors. Not sure when I'll get to it but post away Exciting times with my patcher currently
I will draft a report later tonight or tomorrow. Please check this thread again whenever you can
Old 04-04-14, 10:34 AM   #2368
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
there might be a workaround to both problems:
change MK17_SeaMine_body's parent to -1 (World);
move all the bones previously linked to MK17_SeaMine, to MK17_SeaMine_body;
remove MK17_SeaMine;
rename MK17_SeaMine_body (mesh and relative bone) to MK17_SeaMine
This doesn't work at all. Can't move (at least in the latest GR2 editor) bone to -1 (World). Editor throws an exception, which I will post later (at work now, don't have access to home computer. And have to figure out new image host, since imageshak became bleh).

Quote:
If you don't succeed moving visible meshes to main model's bone, better having two SH3ZonesCtrl controllers: one with damage boxes on the main bone, and the other will collision spheres on MK17_SeaMine_body (the one that the model visible is directly linked to). Dunno if this structure is really required, but most SH5 units I have seen use it.
At this point I still have no clue why exactly the collision is not working. I'm going to send you the lates try, because it is as close to your advices as I could get.
I'm not even sure how can I run the check to see what is missing from the file or structure at this point.
Old 04-05-14, 09:11 AM   #2369
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
This doesn't work at all. Can't move (at least in the latest GR2 editor) bone to -1 (World). Editor throws an exception, which I will post later (at work now, don't have access to home computer. And have to figure out new image host, since imageshak became bleh).

At this point I still have no clue why exactly the collision is not working. I'm going to send you the lates try, because it is as close to your advices as I could get.
I'm not even sure how can I run the check to see what is missing from the file or structure at this point.
If you give me a link to your current work I'll look it over and also use it to figure out why the app is throwing an exception when you try to set a bone to -1. Only one bone in every skeleton of every model can have a world bone.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-14, 12:17 PM   #2370
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
This doesn't work at all. Can't move (at least in the latest GR2 editor) bone to -1 (World). Editor throws an exception, which I will post later
yep, noticed that too

Quote:
Have you also tested my version of your mine unit?