SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-16-09, 09:12 AM   #106
youpi
Watch

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contact View Post
You don't need to use marker for AOB anymore.

Then after counting the graduations the ship takes you're have to look for the same number on middle disk. When found Center disk will tell you what is AOB.

I'm not that good in explaining this so I strongly advice you to watch: OLCGuiSpecial_Tutorial. There is a brief introduction on Range and AOB.
Yes I understand all of this steps but I saw this video too and that's why I ask you because in the video at one time he says if the target it too near you can't use the zoom X6 for counting the graduations (in the video there is two zoom for the periscop). So use normal zoom (x1.5) and use the mark next to the 15° for find the AOB.

But this tutorial was made with an oldier version of OLC and now there's no zoom in the periscop attack.

I don't know if my english is understandable
youpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 09:26 AM   #107
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by youpi View Post
Yes I understand all of this steps but I saw this video too and that's why I ask you because in the video at one time he says if the target it too near you can't use the zoom X6 for counting the graduations (in the video there is two zoom for the periscop). So use normal zoom (x1.5) and use the mark next to the 15° for find the AOB.

But this tutorial was made with an oldier version of OLC and now there's no zoom in the periscop attack.

I don't know if my english is understandable
You was watching the wrong tutorial then. Can't remeber where I downloaded it from
Old 04-16-09, 09:42 AM   #108
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
So in short we can make an important note:

1. Leaving of TDC in manual for longer time than necessary will lead to inacurate calculations.
No. You can leave the TDC in manual for as long as you want, as long as the scope does not move - and to ensure that the scope does not move, you must unlock it.

Quote:
2. When target is temporarily unlocked and TDC switched to manual. You don't want to move the scope but will have limited period of time to input data to TDC because if the target ship travels fast you can loose him from scope and without moving scope you woun't be able to lock him again right ?
Again, no. You can measure the range with the target locked. You then unlock the scope, take as long as you want to put the range into the TDC, then make sure the TDC is on Auto before moving the scope back to the target and locking again.
Old 04-16-09, 09:45 AM   #109
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

@youpi

Quote:
You was watching the wrong tutorial then. Can't remeber where I downloaded it from
Contact is right, there is an updated tutorial video that you need to watch. It's currently available at UberTorpedo's filefront page. I'll put it in the SUBSIM downloads section shortly.
Old 04-16-09, 11:05 AM   #110
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis View Post
Again, no. You can measure the range with the target locked. You then unlock the scope, take as long as you want to put the range into the TDC, then make sure the TDC is on Auto before moving the scope back to the target and locking again.
I see.. should I also unlock the scope on AOB or speed input to TDC ? (When targeting lonely ship)

I'm so missing an updated video for OLC Gold from A to Z, it would surely cost less questions here

Last edited by Contact; 04-16-09 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-16-09, 11:10 AM   #111
youpi
Watch

Downloads: 67

Thanks I'm downloading the new tutorial on FF page
youpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 11:14 AM   #112
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

My best shot so far with OLC Gold: Target Range 5 km, AOB 170. Speed 4 knots

Dead center hit on tramp steamer in torpedo tutorial
Old 04-16-09, 11:32 AM   #113
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
I see.. should I also unlock the scope on AOB or speed input to TDC ?

I'm so missing an updated video for OLC Gold from A to Z, it would surely cost less questions here
Yeah... sometimes.

I think it's for the best that there isn't a full "A to Z" tut. The OLC GUI and U-Jagd tools are the most fun when you really understand what they do and why they work, and what the TDC does and how it works, and tutorials can only do so much to aid understanding. When I say "understand" I don't mean "be able to explain the whole thing in math" I mean understand in the way that mechanic understands an engine.

Blindly following steps A B C to get a firing solution is a good way to start out, but I think that at some point you have to throw the tuts in the bin and just start messing around with **** until you start to get it. When you "get it" you can do things in whatever way and whatever order seems best in the current situation, and use the tools (including the TDC) truly as tools (rather than using them as black boxes).

I think the tuts cover everything they should. Some people seem to think that the tuts are supposed to be A Complete Guide To Everything In The Game, but in fact they're only meant to cover everything in OLC GUI, and that they do (except for the UZO marking lines ).
Old 04-16-09, 11:49 AM   #114
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Well thanks for leaving something to learn on ourselves

Of course tutorials cover basics on how to use GUI but there are also gaps left to find out what combinations are the best to use for every Kaleun.

I still think that fastest way of learning new things depends on good tut.
Old 04-19-09, 03:51 PM   #115
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I'm having troubles in reading AOB sometimes. It feels like I'm missing numbers in the center ring (Zielkurswinkel) after 90 to the left side. I'm usually lost when my counted horizontal marks for AOB are bigger than center ring (Zielkurswinkel) can show.

I know when ship is heading away from my boat I have to substract discovered angle from 180. And I do so successfully, but sometimes it seems I can't get the correct numbers for AOB
Old 04-19-09, 05:56 PM   #116
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Too many width-marks beyond the 90 degree angle mark most often suggests the range calculation went wrong. You either measured the wrong mast/flag/whatever, or the right mast but too short because of pixels vannishing (mast being thinner than halve a pixel). Or the level-line wasn't on the waterline.

If that is not the case you could have a bad intel. Meaning the recognition manual doesn't match the 3d model. What ship model was it?
Old 04-20-09, 12:37 AM   #117
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
Too many width-marks beyond the 90 degree angle mark most often suggests the range calculation went wrong. You either measured the wrong mast/flag/whatever, or the right mast but too short because of pixels vannishing (mast being thinner than halve a pixel). Or the level-line wasn't on the waterline.

If that is not the case you could have a bad intel. Meaning the recognition manual doesn't match the 3d model. What ship model was it?
The ships I'm using is only from GWX3 + St Nazaire and Schleuse and other Units + OLC Gold. I'm usually getting wrong calculations with smaller ships. But it isn't a rule since sometimes I manage to hit a tramp steamer from 5 km distance which is traveling 150 AOB. It's just funny when sometimes I'm having troubles in clearily reading AOB which is visually doing ~100 AOB at 1.5 km range. Mystery..

Thanks for the hint! It has to be invisible pixels while measuring the mast. I do experience difficulties sometime to clearly see where it ends or sometimes the top of the mast flickers. Resolution fix seems not doing much help with that too.
Old 04-20-09, 01:33 AM   #118
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Only one question OLC. Is the screenshot what the mod will look and operate like ?

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 02:33 AM   #119
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

@Contact
AA is practically a requirement for using this mod (it makes the masts much easier to see).

@FIREWALL
Yes those are all unaltered environment shots with no other mods running except GWX Gold + OLC Gold.
Old 04-20-09, 04:09 AM   #120
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis View Post
@Contact
AA is practically a requirement for using this mod (it makes the masts much easier to see).

@FIREWALL
Yes those are all unaltered environment shots with no other mods running except GWX Gold + OLC Gold.
Excuse me but what does AA should mean ? Anti Aircraft Gun ?

Tags
gold, gui, olc, olce2, ubermod