Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-12-11, 01:07 PM   #106
Rip
Commodore

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0
Default Anticipation

Man the suspense is killing me. If it weren't so cold I'd jump on my bike and ride of to Houston. Then get Neal stinking drunk so I can drill him for details.
Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 01:18 PM   #107
Myxale
Admiral

Downloads: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
I thought this conversation sounded familiar.

I vote for: Something like DW, but Cold War (see something like the Red Storm Rising storyline). The special feature, you could work the de-cyphering equipment; like the enigma machine or what ever they used.
Or a mix of Fleet Command and DW, where you could make strategic decisions, then hot seat in to command as your fleet contact stuff.
Have to agree! Would love a Cold-War scenario.
Just enough Tech to be engaging and exciting but no super-tech equipment ala 2011, to justify 4 years on a Naval Academy.

Maybe concentrating on a few submarine types but well modeled technically. And we know from history that the Ice poles are a great play field!

Sh3 + DW =dream child!

Myxale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 03:13 PM   #108
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
Downloads: 22

Kaye T. Bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 03:34 PM   #109
zamfe
Watch

Downloads: 34

Three points:

1. It should be the mother of modern sub simulations.
2. It should focus on one maybe two subs and go in fidelity as much as classification allows it.
3. Stations is the only way for a sub simulation.
4. Graphics is secondary. (quaternary )
zamfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 04:02 PM   #110
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamfe View Post
Three points:

1. It should be the mother of modern sub simulations.
2. It should focus on one maybe two subs and go in fidelity as much as classification allows it.
3. Stations is the only way for a sub simulation.
4. Graphics is secondary. (quaternary )
1. Absolutely. Give me SB Pro with subs. I'll even pay a premium for it.

2. I would even be okay with a study sim a la 688(i), F-15, F/A-18. I want it detailed.

3. I can agree. Give me panels that look like the panels, and displays that look like the displays. I don't care about managing the watch, maintaining crew morale or upgrading the galley's cooking. I don't care about walking around a 3-D conn or watching the crew go about their work. Put those efforts into physics and acoutics.

4. 100%
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 04:10 PM   #111
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

I'm hoping for a surface ship sim rather than a subsim, or maybe a surface strategy sim like Fleet Command and Harpoon (Or a combination of both). One thing I do wish they'd have regardless of whether it's a surface or a submarine simulation (Or whatever else) is a proper dynamic campaign, preferably set in the Cold War/a NATO-Warsaw Pact conflict.
Old 01-12-11, 04:58 PM   #112
Sea Demon
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 33

Prediction.......If this is a new game announcement....it's Fleet Command 2.
Sea Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 04:59 PM   #113
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Demon View Post
Prediction.......If this is a new game announcement....it's Fleet Command 2.
Hey!! Long time no see!
Old 01-12-11, 05:48 PM   #114
OneShot
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
3. I can agree. Give me panels that look like the panels, and displays that look like the displays. I don't care about managing the watch, maintaining crew morale or upgrading the galley's cooking. I don't care about walking around a 3-D conn or watching the crew go about their work. Put those efforts into physics and acoutics.
Amen to that - the 2 times I actually installed and played SH3, the first thing I did was disable the crew managment.

And dont tell me this stuff adds to immersion or realism. In reality there is a watchsystem onboard a ship/boat and everybody knows where he has to be and when. Thats certainly not something that has to be handled by the CO 24hrs.
OneShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 06:01 PM   #115
Delareon
Planesman

Downloads: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShot View Post
Amen to that - the 2 times I actually installed and played SH3, the first thing I did was disable the crew managment.

And dont tell me this stuff adds to immersion or realism. In reality there is a watchsystem onboard a ship/boat and everybody knows where he has to be and when. Thats certainly not something that has to be handled by the CO 24hrs.
Absolutely, the only thing about the crew management which really could be an interesting part is qualifying them to be better operators of the stations. Btw in SH4 the Crew Management was better becauseit was automatet, things like battlestations you have to order as it should be but no more single movement of every little sailor from station to station....

What i want also is an "living" ocean. Hell there are so many fishes and whales and so on out there but even at the campaign missions there wherer rarely some "natural noise sources", also in the other missions there wherent that much. No wonder you have to place them and select a behavior for every single whale or shrimp.... The Ocean should live.
Delareon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 06:25 PM   #116
tommo8993
Helmsman

Downloads: 17

so this neal steven who created the place holder, why dont we just ask him.
tommo8993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 06:29 PM   #117
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommo8993 View Post
We did, and he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
I am awaiting clearance to post details.
Old 01-12-11, 06:57 PM   #118
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommo8993 View Post
He'll post when he gets permission from SCS. Don't worry; he owns this website, so he's not going anywhere.
Old 01-12-11, 06:59 PM   #119
rascal101
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 200

Hi to you and thanks for your considered reply - in short I hav'nt played either, no critisism of the developers, or the players.

In a nutshell, to my mind, a post WW2 sub sim is going to be based on modern naval warfare which is very much a push button kind of thing - Prior to the end of WW2, no matter what field, be it air, naval or land you pretty well had to get up close and personal, and eyball your oponent before you killed them or they did for you, and this for me is the challenge of a sim.

And I kind of agree with you re Sci Fi or role play - the thing is I enjoy games like Flashpoint, or Armed Assault or Aliens V's Preditor or Vietkong, because even though they are besed on more modern concepts of warfare, there is still the element of hunting and eyballing your oponent - I just dont see how this can happen with a sim based on ballistic or wire guided technology -

These games you mention no doubt have some great stuff in them but ultimatly you press a button and something dies....a long way off. I know this is a generalisation but I think you get what I mean - For this reason though I quite like air warfare sims, I never bothered with Falcon 4.0, though I did experiment with a couple of helecopter sims, essentially dont really bother a sim covering combat later than the Korean for the reasons stated above.

Any way to each their own.... I still hold out a hope that some one will publish a game such as I mentioned.

I'm sorry for the brioght yellow - was an accident following a spell check and not an attempt to attract undue attention

Best Regards

Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
Have you played Dangerous Waters or SC Rascal?

I don't think you have nor have you tried playing the game.

If we were to use your argument then we would not see science fiction and more, the majority of games from racing, to rpg, to action, to first person shooter, to strategy would not be published.

Sub Command or Dangerous waters are not simulating real events nor do they try to do that but the platforms are what they're trying to simulate.

Falcon 4.0 would not be successful either had the point of your argument was valid. Now don't mistake me being rude but that's just how I view it.

And certainly there's no need to highlight your entire posting into yellow to make them noticeable. And I'm not howling at you. You just did that to yourself :-D
rascal101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 07:04 PM   #120
rascal101
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 200

I suspect you are right and I certainly did not want to offend anyone from Sonalysts - I just wish that we could get some of the games I mentioned - Sure we've had SH3 and 5 but both were so badly constructed they had to be steadily rebuilt fixed by the modders here at Sub Sim.

It would be great if another developer or publisher looked at a WW2 subsim and actually produced something worthwile - with all the elements people have been screaming for on this site for years - any way I guess we shall see what comes next

Best Regards to all

Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
That's fine to have that opinion, but modern naval combat and operations are what SCS is all about. The last thing that I would want is for this series to become a Silent Hunter or WIP clone, and I don't think that is something that I'll have to worry about. Sonalysts makes simulators for the USN, and releases them to the public with classified and senstitve areas removed. SCS makes simulators with a capital 'S'; not everyone's cup of tea, but they are very good at what they do.
rascal101 is offline   Reply With Quote