SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-11-17, 07:45 AM   #1
p.jakub88
Gunner

Downloads: 123
Uploads: 1
Icon1 How works the XP system for submarine's crew?

Hello everyone,

i wonder how in the SH4 works the XP system for the submarine's crew.

I mean, based on what activities they receives experience points?

Does this points goes to separate crewmembers or are divided by all compartment's crew - not matter if they are on active duty or not?

In example: when i as a player i am manning the deck gun - instead of my deck gun crew, does it mean that they will not receive any XP points?

Thank You in advance for reply!

Best wishes

Jakub
p.jakub88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 09:51 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I could be wrong, of course, but I'm pretty sure the game isn't that sophisticated. I believe crew points are based directly on the Captain's points, and they all gain the same, on duty or off.
Old 07-11-17, 02:02 PM   #3
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

The way I remember it is that at the end of a cruise when you check into port crewmen are awarded a set amount of experience.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 03:40 PM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.jakub88 View Post
Hello everyone,

i wonder how in the SH4 works the XP system for the submarine's crew.

I mean, based on what activities they receives experience points?

Does this points goes to separate crewmembers or are divided by all compartment's crew - not matter if they are on active duty or not?

In example: when i as a player i am manning the deck gun - instead of my deck gun crew, does it mean that they will not receive any XP points?

Thank You in advance for reply!

Best wishes

Jakub

Basically, your crew gains experience throughout the patrol. From what I can tell in the UPC files when it mentions experience for leader slots, and from paying attention to this in the sim, those in leader slots in compartment gain more than others.So a PO 3 in torpedo room leader slot typically will gain more experience points then one hanging out in the crew berthing(if you run TMO). Skills improve with rank and patrols Once hit the required points, they are eligible for promotion. Lower ranks automatically promoted such as Seaman 3rd to Seaman 2nd, and 1st. Then to make the jump, player must approve the promotion the PO 3 while in port.

I am working on revamping the roster of names, ranks for starting crew etc, its bugged me for a long time.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 03:47 PM   #5
p.jakub88
Gunner

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Basically, your crew gains experience throughout the patrol. From what I can tell in the UPC files when it mentions experience for leader slots, and from paying attention to this in the sim, those in leader slots in compartment gain more than others.So a PO 3 in torpedo room leader slot typically will gain more experience points then one hanging out in the crew berthing(if you run TMO). Skills improve with rank and patrols Once hit the required points, they are eligible for promotion. Lower ranks automatically promoted such as Seaman 3rd to Seaman 2nd, and 1st. Then to make the jump, player must approve the promotion the PO 3 while in port.

I am working on revamping the roster of names, ranks for starting crew etc, its bugged me for a long time.
Hello Bubblehead1980 and Rockin Robbins,

thank You for the reply and informations. I didn't know all that (they should mention such info in the game's readme).

I wonder, if during a patrol only the crew that is on active watch receives the experience points?

Would be somewhat unfair to receive XP while sleeping .

In addition, i don't know for what type of activities the crew receives XP points?

In example: do the torpedo room crew receives XP points while non in combat?

The same for the deck and AA gun crews.

Last edited by p.jakub88; 07-11-17 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-11-17, 08:20 PM   #6
scar3tactics
Swabbie

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

On a similar note, does everyone else rotate their crew during a career? I've started trying to do this, as I know have probably 6 CPOs specialized in speedier dives, a handful of pharmacists mates, and way more specialization than is reasonable for my boat. However, when I try to unload and pick up fresh crew in port, I get a notification that I already have too many officers and petty officers and I can't add to my crew, even after I remove some people. Is there a method to rotating crew in port?
scar3tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-17, 12:47 PM   #7
p.jakub88
Gunner

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar3tactics View Post
On a similar note, does everyone else rotate their crew during a career? I've started trying to do this, as I know have probably 6 CPOs specialized in speedier dives, a handful of pharmacists mates, and way more specialization than is reasonable for my boat. However, when I try to unload and pick up fresh crew in port, I get a notification that I already have too many officers and petty officers and I can't add to my crew, even after I remove some people. Is there a method to rotating crew in port?
Hello,

try this mod: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4678

I am using it and no more messages about too many officers on board .

You could also manually change the values for appropriate US submarine types according to values from above mod for the stock SH4: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...=184645&page=2 (see the first post).

It is safer to start a new career or You will need to edit existing savegame - however i chosen the first option.

Last edited by p.jakub88; 07-12-17 at 03:35 PM.