SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-04-05, 08:03 AM   #1
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127
Default Sinking the Supership

The program Nova on PBS is showing a new episode that recounts the last mission, and sinking of, the Japanese battleship Yamato tonight. For those who have it, it's also going to be in high-definition. There's a web page about the episode here:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/supership/
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-05, 03:11 PM   #2
Overkill
Frogman

Downloads: 128
Uploads: 0

Awsome! Thanks for letting us know.
Old 10-20-05, 11:07 AM   #3
jason10mm
Sailor man

Downloads: 0

It was a pretty good documentary. Gotta feel the pain of those sailors heading out alone towards certain doom.

One thing I found odd was the comment that the ship had no (or at least few) surviving plans and almost no photographs. How then did anyone manage to make an "Anatomy of the Ship" about it? From just the single one I have (VII u-boats) the level of detail is fanatical and would require lots of blueprints, photos, etc. Guess I'll have to buy the book and fnd out :P

Edit-Oh, never mind. A quick check of amazon reveals that the book IS sketchy about interior details and most of it is reverse engineered drawing of exterior structures from photographs. Also costs $100 since it is OOP!
jason10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-05, 12:42 PM   #4
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason10mm
It was a pretty good documentary.
I was beginning to wonder if anyone here had watched it, since no one said anything.

Frankly, I was extremely disappointed in it. They seemed to want you to believe the Yamato was the *only* ship in her class, as absolutely no mention was made of her sisters, Musashi and Shinano, or their sinkings which predated Yamato's. The theme of the program seemed to be not only why she sank so fast (which was a legitmate question, since it took Musashi hours to sink), but why she sank at all!

Although they did mention her participation in the Midway operation, no mention was made of any other sorties, including Leyte Gulf, which was the only time she fired her guns at anything except aircraft. How could they not mention that?!?

There were other problems I had with the show, but these were the biggest. Overall, it was not only uninformative, but downright misleading! I expected much better from Nova.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-05, 12:51 PM   #5
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

Quote:

Edit-Oh, never mind. A quick check of amazon reveals that the book IS sketchy about interior details and most of it is reverse engineered drawing of exterior structures from photographs. Also costs $100 since it is OOP!
There's about 20 used and new copies of the book available here, starting at $30:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-05, 03:37 PM   #6
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred8615
Quote:
It was a pretty good documentary.
I was beginning to wonder if anyone here had watched it, since no one said anything.

<snip>
I agree with you fred8615, it had a few good points but it needed to have its facts straitened out. It’s worth watching but it’s not the best documentary to come out of NOVA.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote