SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-08-08, 04:10 PM   #76
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I wonder if the problem is related to the erratic frame rates I have with both nVidia 7900GS and 7600GT cards with 1.5. I've tried all kinds of things and the problem won't go away. Average frame rates seem a bit higher than 1.4, but they just don't stay steady, momentarily doubling sometimes. It doesn't keep me from playing the game well and isn't aggravating enough for me to unload all the background programs I habitually run. My only lean and mean setup is the Kubuntu installation I'm running now. Unfortunately, it isn't compatible with SH4 at all!:rotfl:
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 12:12 PM   #77
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
I wonder if the problem is related to the erratic frame rates I have with both nVidia 7900GS and 7600GT cards with 1.5. I've tried all kinds of things and the problem won't go away. Average frame rates seem a bit higher than 1.4, but they just don't stay steady, momentarily doubling sometimes. It doesn't keep me from playing the game well and isn't aggravating enough for me to unload all the background programs I habitually run. My only lean and mean setup is the Kubuntu installation I'm running now. Unfortunately, it isn't compatible with SH4 at all!:rotfl:
Running the 7950GT OC here and its smooth. I do run an older driver I think its a 96.xx series. You know one thing that did change in the 1.5 version is the executable in that it calls on SecuRom to authenticate the version/install.

Could this be the culprit somehow...and not the video. I know its running because when I execute 1.5 there is that "SecuRom delay before things fire up". I still have 2 1.4 installs that do not do this they fire lightening quick.

I know grasping at straws....fighting windmills.

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 01:04 PM   #78
Doolittle81
Commodore

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcke
.... You know one thing that did change in the 1.5 version is the executable in that it calls on SecuRom to authenticate the version/install.

Could this be the culprit somehow...and not the video. I know its running because when I execute 1.5 there is that "SecuRom delay before things fire up". I still have 2 1.4 installs that do not do this they fire lightening quick...
My 1.5 installs (two) fire up faster than my 1.4 install.

How can I tell if Securom is doing anything?
Doolittle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-08, 05:09 AM   #79
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

I've got a GeForce 880GTX and a spare hard disk. I'm just in the process of installing Windows Vista 32 and then I'll be putting on SH 1.5 to see what happens.

I'd just like to ask, so I'm clear about this, are there two seperate things happening?

Karbo and Icecold seem to be having trouble with Vista32 + 8800GTX + SH 1.5 stock. Doolittle has SH1.5 stock working correctly, but not with PE3? Or do you have stock trouble too Doolittle?
Nisgeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-08, 10:03 AM   #80
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

OK, I think I have some hard answers. Icecold, Doolittle and Karbo, sent you all PMs to see what version of the drivers you are running.

The latest version of the drivers do not work, they are listed as betas and give either half black then full black screens, hard locks and other nastiness when running SH4 1.5 on Vista32.

I don't think anyone said what version they are running, but can you please try installing the latest WHQL drivers, specifcally version 169.25. These are stable on my fresh Vista install with SH4 and SH4 with PE3.3

Edit: Sent Dusty and Jsbl PMs too, as they said they were also having trouble.

Last edited by Nisgeis; 05-10-08 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-10-08, 11:13 AM   #81
Karbo
Sailor man

Downloads: 75

Nisgeis,
I am running the 169.25 drivers. I still get the BSOD crash. I was using this when I first installed the U-Boat update. I then have tried various beta drivers and I got the Black screen hard lock up with those, so I went back to the 169.25 drivers.

Thanks
Karbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-08, 11:37 AM   #82
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karbo
Nisgeis,
I am running the 169.25 drivers. I still get the BSOD crash. I was using this when I first installed the U-Boat update. I then have tried various beta drivers and I got the Black screen hard lock up with those, so I went back to the 169.25 drivers.

Thanks
Does it happen consistently when you start taking damage in the external view, or is it random and only occurs after some period of time? Also, is it stock only, with PE3 or both.
Old 05-10-08, 12:04 PM   #83
Karbo
Sailor man

I'm Running two installs one is with TMO only, Fleet Boats. The other is Uboat with Operation Monsun and PE3. On the TMO it crashes while taking damage no external view but I have the event camera on. I have tried it with the event camera off and external views on, same thing. The Uboat with PE3 it crashes randomly. I will pay more attention to when it crashes when I get some time to do a patrol. I am willing to try any testing to help resolve this issue.

Thanks
Old 05-10-08, 12:11 PM   #84
Doolittle81
Commodore

Downloads: 6

I previously had 169.25 and problems, inlcuding the very specific and infamous nklvddmkm driver related error....if you've never heard of the nklvddmkm error, count yourself extremely lucky. (Google nklvddmkm) The nklvddmkm error caused the immediate CTD or BSOD (I can't now recall which) whenever an explosion took place (torpedoe hit)...and possibly also when a DD would fire at me, but i don't recall encountering DD's at that time.

I then moved on to using 174.93. Immediately upon installing those drivers, the nklvddmkm error disappeared, forever it seems as I've not had any specific nklvddmkm error messages appear when I experience BSOD's. However, I do sometimes get a Windows message when I reboot announcing that the improper shutdown was attributable to a generic NVidia problem....of course, Micros$ft and Nvidia have been arguing back and forth since the release of VISTA over whose fault the nklvddmkm error was.

So I use:
174.93 drivers + VISTA32 + 8800GTX + SH4 1.4 or SH4 1.5 with no problems.

174.93 drivers + VISTA32 + 8800GTX + SH4 1.4 + PE3.x with no problems

174.93 drivers + VISTA32 + 8800GTX + SH4 1.5 + PE3.x = BSOD when DD fires or Torp hits (maybe the DD firing indicates a hit on my sub). The BSOD's are not random...they occur with the explosion,etc.

174.93 drivers + VISTA32 + 8800GTX + SH4 1.5 + W_Clear's Environ MOD(s) =no problems encountered yet(if I turn OFF in-game "Post Processing" and "Texture High" Options.

Note: As with Karbo, in all cases the BSODs will occur whether I am in Periscope view or external view...and the DD firing can be at extreme distance from my sub/periscope view, just a small slight flash of a deck gun, and BAM! BSOD! It's not as if the graphics "demand" comprising some huge dramatic torp explosion is overloading my 8800GTX. When I next get the energy to do some more methodical testing, I'll try to see if I get a BSOD if I am internal, looking down at my feet let's say, when a torp hits...or on the NAV Map.
Doolittle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-08, 01:34 PM   #85
icecold
Gunner

Downloads: 84

Quote:
Nisgeis,

Thanks
I too have been running that driver and have tried every other driver.

HOWEVER... i have noticed a possible related scenario.

My SH4 1.5 stock worked fine on same driver when i ONCE got a torpedo hit. I had no BSOD BUT it was just ONE hit and im not sure if it was a fluke. I then installed BSE2... then the troubles were ntoiced when i was hitting a target. I then cleaned the game off and the registry (efficiantly i believe including the mods).

But when i reinstalled the program i noticed the BSOD would happen on the stock and/or mod when installed.

is it possible that the mod was incompatable with my PC? And that there reminants of mod in the registery or a file somewhere?

This is just a possibilty and i cant be sure. It may of actualy happened from the start and have nothing to do with the mod.

Anyways a update from Ubi tech support is that they have tried alot of BASIC troubleshooting, all stuff that i have already tried and to no success... They have now put my help ticket on hold... not sure what that means.
icecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-08, 01:55 PM   #86
icecold
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisgeis
Quote:
Nisgeis,

Thanks
Does it happen consistently when you start taking damage in the external view, or is it random and only occurs after some period of time? Also, is it stock only, with PE3 or both.
It happens everytime a vessal/craft/plane takes damage in all views.
Old 05-10-08, 02:29 PM   #87
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

OK, this is sounding stranger by the minute.

Karbo has trouble with the 1.5 and PE3, but with random crashes,
Icecold has stock 1.5 trouble, when taking damage and Doolittle has a bit of troubole with stock and more with PE3 when taking damage. This is not looking like one problem with PE3... hmmm.

For explosion related crashes, there are two possibilities. There are the particle effects to consider and also the sound effects. I think PE3 has altered sound effects as well, though not sure about that.

For Doolittle, to see if it's the particle explosion effects, there are two files we can remove to bypass the new effects. If you take /data/library/particles.dat and /data/library/materials.dat out of the PE3 mods and then install them, you should get the stock particle effects, but everything else intact. If that doesn't crash, we'll know it was a contributing factor, if it doesn't then it's possibly the sound of the explosion being played that makes it go bang. To test that it should be enough to just uncheck all the sound options. Though as you are only getting the trouble in external views, it's likely they are particle related.

For Icecold can you try turning all the sound off by unchecing all the boxes? If it's a sound issue, that may explain why you are getting crashes on the internal view when you take damage. By the way, what's BSE2?

Karbo, sorry nothing new to try except the above, random crashes are going to be hard to troubleshoot.
Old 05-10-08, 07:15 PM   #88
icecold
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisgeis
OK, this is sounding stranger by the minute.

Karbo has trouble with the 1.5 and PE3, but with random crashes,
Icecold has stock 1.5 trouble, when taking damage and Doolittle has a bit of troubole with stock and more with PE3 when taking damage. This is not looking like one problem with PE3... hmmm.

For explosion related crashes, there are two possibilities. There are the particle effects to consider and also the sound effects. I think PE3 has altered sound effects as well, though not sure about that.

For Doolittle, to see if it's the particle explosion effects, there are two files we can remove to bypass the new effects. If you take /data/library/particles.dat and /data/library/materials.dat out of the PE3 mods and then install them, you should get the stock particle effects, but everything else intact. If that doesn't crash, we'll know it was a contributing factor, if it doesn't then it's possibly the sound of the explosion being played that makes it go bang. To test that it should be enough to just uncheck all the sound options. Though as you are only getting the trouble in external views, it's likely they are particle related.

For Icecold can you try turning all the sound off by unchecing all the boxes? If it's a sound issue, that may explain why you are getting crashes on the internal view when you take damage. By the way, what's BSE2?

Karbo, sorry nothing new to try except the above, random crashes are going to be hard to troubleshoot.
Sorry dont know why i typed that... i ment PE2.
Old 05-19-08, 08:56 AM   #89
icecold
Gunner

Nvidia have released another driver update... apparently it has fixed the problem...

But im guessing that the people saying this are linked to ubi... as it has not done anything with my issue.

Im thinking about a refund on the game, i am at the end of my teather.
Old 05-19-08, 10:36 AM   #90
Karbo
Sailor man

If you mean the 175.16 drivers. I have installed them and I still have the same problems.