SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-30-15, 05:23 PM   #1
RoflCopter4
Seaman

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 0
Default In GWX, does flooding of enemy ships occur with high TC?

Since ships in this mod generally sink by flooding, and flooding probably requires physics calculations, will the flooding occur (and by extension will ships sink) when the TC is set to higher than 32x? A few ships I've torpedoed have refused to sink even after hours and hours of waiting at say 64x, and I don't know if I'm completely wasting my time setting the TC that high.
RoflCopter4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 10:23 AM   #2
Andrakis
Watch

Downloads: 107

I've noticed this as well. It seems to take an inordinate amount of time. Maybe that is just the reduced sinking speed in GWX?
Andrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 10:38 AM   #3
CTU_Clay
The Lone Wolf

Downloads: 315

Maybe another fish in their belly will speed things up?
CTU_Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 11:01 AM   #4
20000 Leagues
Seaman

Downloads: 111

I've run into that a few times. Flooding times vary greatly depending on the damage zones of the target ship. It is possible to hit the ship with an eel, but not enough damage to sink it. Sometimes it takes days for a ship to sink. So if you sit there with the TC at 64, it can still seem like it isn't sinking. Generally, if it takes more than a few hours, I feed it again.
20000 Leagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 01:54 PM   #5
Zosimus
XO

Downloads: 3

Salvo everything and don't shoot at anything under 8,000 tons.
Zosimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 02:08 PM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

In answer to your original question....YES.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 10:23 PM   #7
RoflCopter4
Seaman

Downloads: 51

Thanks. I hoped the ships in question would sink but they just didn't seem to want to. One of them (an ore carrier) was burning for a good 14 hours (fire seems to do nothing I suppose) and was listing a good 30 degrees but just would not drown. The other was a medium cargo and I got it to go under after shooting it a bit with my AA gun. I gave up with the ore carrier and just fed it another torpedo.

The ore carriers are big enough that I could see them taking two torpedoes but not so for medium cargo. In fact, medium cargo is quickly becoming something of an arch nemesis. The tough bastards just don't die.
RoflCopter4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 04:04 AM   #8
Rambler241
A-ganger

Downloads: 5

Zosimus advised:
Quote:
...don't shoot at anything under 8,000 tons.
That's a new definition of "unrestricted submarine warfare" I was unaware of.
Old 09-01-15, 05:38 AM   #9
Kip336
Torpedoman

Downloads: 19

After hitting an ore carrier with a torpedo, I generally manage to finish it off with some deck gun fire below the water.

I'm not sure how flooding is modeled, but I like to think that shooting a few holes on the waterline will help flood the higher decks, so it tips over faster.

also, make sure to only attack one side to help capsizing. It you shoot holes in both sides, itll stay more balanced and needs more flooding to sink.

U-336, 2nd Flotilla, Lorient
Kip336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 09:36 PM   #10
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

I haven't run SH3 in a few years but I remember hitting ships and sometimes they'd break in two. Does this happen at all with this mod? Side note.... the deck gun wasn't needed to finish a ship off and send it to the bottom.

I'm working on getting SH3 back up and running this Fall...... hopefully.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 10:20 PM   #11
Pepe le Moko
A-ganger

Downloads: 126

Don't be too greedy with your eels.
It is tempting to husband them sparingly to maximize tonnage sunk, but really if it isn't sinking after 10-15 minutes, I just shoot another torpedo and get done with it.
Pepe le Moko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-15, 08:41 AM   #12
scott_c2911
Engineer

Downloads: 71

In response to the last question; Ive managed to crack loads of different ships in half with GWX 3.0 installed
Old 09-03-15, 07:04 PM   #13
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_c2911 View Post
In response to the last question; Ive managed to crack loads of different ships in half with GWX 3.0 installed
Same here. But also modded SH3 without GWX. I've not run GWX Gold so no idea if it's the same as the other two.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 11:43 AM   #14
Andrakis
Watch

Downloads: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoflCopter4 View Post
Thanks. I hoped the ships in question would sink but they just didn't seem to want to. One of them (an ore carrier) was burning for a good 14 hours (fire seems to do nothing I suppose) and was listing a good 30 degrees but just would not drown. The other was a medium cargo and I got it to go under after shooting it a bit with my AA gun. I gave up with the ore carrier and just fed it another torpedo.

The ore carriers are big enough that I could see them taking two torpedoes but not so for medium cargo. In fact, medium cargo is quickly becoming something of an arch nemesis. The tough bastards just don't die.
I've noticed this with the fire as well, which is too bad. I tried to outlast a destroyer that ate a torpedo and kept coming... thinking it would burn up.
Andrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 01:09 PM   #15
Zosimus
XO

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoflCopter4 View Post

I agree. Medium cargo ships take too many torpedoes to kill to be worth the effort. Don't shoot at them. It's far easier to salvo a nice whaling ship worth 12,000 tons and send it to the bottom for 6,000 tons an eel than to hit a medium cargo ship with one eel and lurk around for hours waiting for the weather to clear up enough to use the deck gun or waiting for it to finally go under.
Zosimus is offline   Reply With Quote