SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-18-08, 05:16 PM   #676
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopo
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Quote:
Quote:
@OLC

Just installed last updates (Ubermod 2.2) and amazed to see that the attack periscope doesn't turn (observation periscope is working fine)...
Do you have any idea about that?

Thanks for your help

Lopo
Well, all is working fine... I just discover I cannot upgrade my IXB with a IX/2 tower, it blocks my attack periscope. That's all!
Is this a bug in my mod or not? I mean, if you upgrade your IXB with a IX/2 tower without my mod installed, does that work?
I still don't know... I will try when my current patrol will be finished and will tell you.
Please do! Also, are you using Malfunctions and Sabotage on SH3C? I can't remember what effects they have but a broken periscope might be one of them. :hmm:
Old 05-18-08, 07:09 PM   #677
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

You eventually goes to sleep, right?

How is the new carrer coming up?
Old 05-19-08, 04:02 AM   #678
Nuss
Seaman

Downloads: 77
Default eliminating reflections

Hi OLC,

had to stay away from SH3-modding for some weeks because of RL. Came back yesterday and saw your enormous production.

I suppose one of those British WWII-strategies behind this: Increasing mod-productivity forces the German
u-boats to stay at their home-bases in order to study the intention of the new mods. No new German patrols for the next months - Germany will loose the WWII. Brilliant idea.

Anyhow that’s ok. Peace is much better than war. I will ask Doenitz to send some cigars to Winston and ask him to end the war. In exchange he could arrange a football-match at (old) Wembley. Perhaps Germany has better chances there to win the match. Who knows?

A (serious) question: what do you mean with “eliminating the reflections”. Do you mean water-reflections? Had no chance to install the new mod-version.

Nuss
Nuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-08, 09:43 AM   #679
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuss
Hi OLC,

had to stay away from SH3-modding for some weeks because of RL. Came back yesterday and saw your enormous production.
Do you mean the OLCE2 Option Extras? :hmm:

Quote:
I suppose one of those British WWII-strategies behind this: Increasing mod-productivity forces the German
u-boats to stay at their home-bases in order to study the intention of the new mods. No new German patrols for the next months - Germany will loose the WWII. Brilliant idea.
Oh come on, it's not complicated. :p

Quote:
A (serious) question: what do you mean with “eliminating the reflections”. Do you mean water-reflections? Had no chance to install the new mod-version.
Elimitate. Remove. Get rid of. Erase. Delete.

The reflections of ships, particles and harbour objects annoy me because they never look quite right and far too often they look totally wrong. Sometimes it's because they're broken (which can be fixed by modding, but the sheer number of broken or missing reflections makes that a huge task) and sometimes because of quirks/limitations in the SH3 graphics engine (which can't be fixed). I used to think a bad reflection was better than no reflection, then I went into the GWX Museum and there are no reflecitons in there, and I couldn't believe how good it looked. So, I removed all the reflections from everything in GWX 2.1 except the terrain, which I do want to "eliminate" but I can't find the switch for it.... yet.

For me this is about immersion. Seeing a dodgy reflection is an immersion killer. Take away the reflections and I (and you, I hope) am left with a more immersive experience.
Old 05-19-08, 09:58 AM   #680
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 178
Uploads: 4

Hallo OLC.

I was looking at your tonnage and just out of curiosity i would like to ask you: Did your tonnage got higher after enabling the mod (OLCU for GWX 2.1)?

Oh! Something else. There is no tube indexing at the tube selector. I am using OLCU 2.2v.

Last edited by tomfon; 05-19-08 at 10:09 AM.
tomfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-08, 10:10 AM   #681
Nuss
Seaman

Downloads: 77

OLC,

thanks for the English-lesson ( "Elimitate. Remove. Get rid of. Erase. Delete").

The download-size of this part of your mod is rather big, so I better asked before downloading. And afterwards Thomsens V3-soundpack.....

I will give both a try, because all your mods (and Thomsens sound-mods) considerably increased the immersion-factor.

Nuss
Nuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-08, 11:01 AM   #682
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfon
Hallo OLC.

I was looking at your tonnage and just out of curiosity i would like to ask you: Did your tonnage got higher after enabling the mod (OLCU for GWX 2.1)?
Not really. On 9 of of 10 attacks I calculate the two most important variables - speed and course (which gives AOB) - by shadowing the target, because it's both realistic and accurate. You can do that with or without OLC GUI.

The tools in OLC GUI are historical but that doesn't mean they were used all the time IRL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfon
Oh! Something else. There is no tube indexing at the tube selector. I am using OLCU 2.2v.
You only get the tube indexes if you use SH3C, which IIRC you do. Did you read that readme yet? :p

BTW, I'm still waiting for a screenshot of the "foggy" effect on the sky that you complained about.
Old 05-19-08, 11:21 AM   #683
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Quote:
BTW, I'm still waiting for a screenshot of the "foggy" effect on the sky that you complained about.
Oh i forgot!!! I aplologise. Well, the "foggy effect" was a creation of my imagination really - playing GWX past 2am not recommended.:p

Quote:
Did you read that readme yet? :p
:rotfl:You mean the "mysisternaked" file your colleague was talking about?...:p

Anyway, your mod is great and thanks for the reply BTW!
Old 05-19-08, 12:03 PM   #684
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Damn, who just ruined my 5-star average by giving me 1 star?
Old 05-19-08, 12:29 PM   #685
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Damn, who just ruined my 5-star average by giving me 1 star?
Jesus OLC! :p

Ok.
Your mod is absolutely useless.
Nice try but it could have been much better.
Is that all?
And you call this a mod???

Seriously speaking i don't think your mod has been overrated. Its just a fine mod.

Last edited by tomfon; 05-19-08 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-19-08, 12:46 PM   #686
Kaleun Cook
Chief

Downloads: 25

I just ran into a problem: I can't configure the torps. When I click the small button on the bottom of the screen it brings up the instruments for setting aob, speed, range - but it won't let me change anything. Manual targeting is activated, the peri-disks work fine - just the tdc doesn't react.

Edit: The attack disk also doesn't work.
Kaleun Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-08, 01:16 PM   #687
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleun Cook
I just ran into a problem: I can't configure the torps. When I click the small button on the bottom of the screen it brings up the instruments for setting aob, speed, range - but it won't let me change anything. Manual targeting is activated, the peri-disks work fine - just the tdc doesn't react.

Edit: The attack disk also doesn't work.
It's an OLC GUI bug. It only affects some players and it's never once happened to me, thus I've been unable to find and fix the problem. There is a workaround: when it happens, right-click on your Weapons Officer icon, then left-click once on the TDC switch (the 3D one in the sub interior view, not the one on your GUI).
Old 05-19-08, 01:22 PM   #688
Kaleun Cook
Chief

Downloads: 25

Alright, thanks a lot for your reply. But this time a CTD fixed it. ;D

Anyways, thanks for a great tool that finally made me check out manual targeting.
Kaleun Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-08, 02:45 PM   #689
LordNeuro"Serbia"
Chief

Downloads: 45
Default Wery nice

Wery nice mod. Is there somthing similar too thise mod theat is working with gwx 2.0.
Old 05-19-08, 02:52 PM   #690
Lopo
Lieutenant

Downloads: 477
Default ...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@OLC

Just installed last updates (Ubermod 2.2) and amazed to see that the attack periscope doesn't turn (observation periscope is working fine)...
Do you have any idea about that?

Thanks for your help

Lopo
Well, all is working fine... I just discover I cannot upgrade my IXB with a IX/2 tower, it blocks my attack periscope. That's all!
Is this a bug in my mod or not? I mean, if you upgrade your IXB with a IX/2 tower without my mod installed, does that work?
I still don't know... I will try when my current patrol will be finished and will tell you.
Please do! Also, are you using Malfunctions and Sabotage on SH3C? I can't remember what effects they have but a broken periscope might be one of them. :hmm:
Don't worry, I will have a look on it... I have a lot of work now so I play just half-hour per night before sleeping, so the test will wait a little...
Yes, I'm using Malfunctions and Sabotage but I had the same periscope broken twice after downloading...

Lopo is offline   Reply With Quote