SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: Will you still use Damage Control now that 1.4 will have hull damage displayed?
Yes 124 87.32%
No 18 12.68%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-07, 10:04 AM   #46
JREX53
Frogman

Downloads: 353
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by leovampire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JREX53
I tried running the program but it came up with this error: "Could not find a part of the path 'G:\Documents and Settings\Jim\My Documents\SH4\data\cfg\SaveGames'."

I have created multiple copies of the game. I used MultiSH4 to create multiple save directories in "My Documents". I have 2 other save directories one each for Trigger Maru(TM) and Real Fleet Boat(RFB). How do I get the Damage Control Analyzer to look into those other directories?

Jim IC1(SS)
I see G:\ shouldn't it be C:\
Leovampire,
Normally I would say you are right. But when I set up my computer with XP, it created the boot drive as drive "G". G is also the drive that I have my games installed on.
Jim IC1(SS)
JREX53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 11:48 AM   #47
billko
中国水兵

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by billko
Quote:
I tried running the program but it came up with this error: "Could not find a part of the path 'G:\Documents and Settings\Jim\My Documents\SH4\data\cfg\SaveGames'."

I have created multiple copies of the game. I used MultiSH4 to create multiple save directories in "My Documents". I have 2 other save directories one each for Trigger Maru(TM) and Real Fleet Boat(RFB). How do I get the Damage Control Analyzer to look into those other directories?

Jim IC1(SS)
JREX53:

Interesting. I did not know that such a program as MultiSH4 existed. Damage Control assumes the default saved game path. You are the only one to complain about this so far, but the fact that even one person is affected by it means that I will try to come up with a solution as quickly as possible!

Sorry for the disappointment.

Bill
Bill, I'm not really disappointed, it looks like a great program and I would really like to use it. I was just wondering if there was a way to direct it to my save directories.

Thanks
Jim IC1(SS)

edit: You can read more about "multish4" on this thread:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...light=multish4
Hey, Jim:

Thanks for the info. No, there isn't a way to choose your saved game directory - YET! Give me a day or two and that feature will added!

BTW - the reason it was hardwired to use the default saved game path was so that it wouldn't have to search all your drives for saved games. (I believe this is why Damage Analyzer took so long to do its auto thing.) The next release of Damage Control will enable you to specify the folder that contains your saved game folders. Itwill remember the last path specified the next time it is opened, or you can specify a new path at any time (and it will remember the new path).

Bill
Old 10-03-07, 02:07 PM   #48
billko
中国水兵

Default news update

I have completed the raw code necessary to select the saved game folders location. Now all I need to do is add some error trapping and update the help file...

Bill
Old 10-03-07, 02:38 PM   #49
Hawk_345
Medic

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

sounds good.
Old 10-03-07, 02:57 PM   #50
SirHendrik
Mate

Downloads: 295

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jim IC1(SS)
JREX53:

Interesting. I did not know that such a program as MultiSH4 existed. Damage Control assumes the default saved game path. You are the only one to complain about this so far, but the fact that even one person is affected by it means that I will try to come up with a solution as quickly as possible!

Bill
Bill, I'm not really disappointed, it looks like a great program and I would really like to use it. I was just wondering if there was a way to direct it to my save directories.

Thanks
Jim IC1(SS)

Hey, Jim:

Thanks for the info. No, there isn't a way to choose your saved game directory - YET! Give me a day or two and that feature will added!

BTW - the reason it was hardwired to use the default saved game path was so that it wouldn't have to search all your drives for saved games. (I believe this is why Damage Analyzer took so long to do its auto thing.) The next release of Damage Control will enable you to specify the folder that contains your saved game folders. Itwill remember the last path specified the next time it is opened, or you can specify a new path at any time (and it will remember the new path).

Bill
DA-II gets the searchpath in one of its ini files. It takes so long, if NO specific searchpath is defined, cause in this case, it searches the whole user profile ... :-)

You are doing a great job - what do you think, to save the settings in a ini-file or in the registry, so every setting set up once does not have to be set a second time?
This would save some time for the user.
SirHendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 05:49 PM   #51
billko
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirHendrik
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jim IC1(SS)
JREX53:

Bill

Thanks
Jim IC1(SS)

Hey, Jim:

Bill
DA-II gets the searchpath in one of its ini files. It takes so long, if NO specific searchpath is defined, cause in this case, it searches the whole user profile ... :-)

You are doing a great job - what do you think, to save the settings in a ini-file or in the registry, so every setting set up once does not have to be set a second time?
This would save some time for the user.
As a matter of fact... this new version will save the last specified path so that once you set the path, it will remember it until you specify a new one. Is that what you mean?

Bill
Old 10-03-07, 05:55 PM   #52
billko
中国水兵

Default Damage Control 1.0.5.0 is out

This version features the ability to specify a different saved game folder path for those who use MultiSH4, as well as some bug fixes. See the first post (or click on my sig) for more info.

Bill
Old 10-03-07, 06:14 PM   #53
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0
Default excelent work Billko

Quote:
This version features the ability to specify a different saved game folder path for those who use MultiSH4, as well as some bug fixes. See the first post (or click on my sig) for more info.

Bill
Nice of you to set it up to cater to people with other game set up's!
Shows the dedication you have to this tool of yours.
leovampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 10:38 PM   #54
JREX53
Frogman

Thank you Bill.

I didn't expect you to get done so quickly, I am downloading it now so I can enjoy your great work.

Jim IC1(SS)
Old 10-04-07, 01:01 AM   #55
billko
中国水兵

Quote:
Thank you Bill.

I didn't expect you to get done so quickly, I am downloading it now so I can enjoy your great work.

Jim IC1(SS)
Hey, I don't fool around!

Let me know if there are any bugs with the implementation of the directory changer.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 10-04-07, 01:07 PM   #56
Hawk_345
Medic

Downloads: 3

thanks alot, i will try it as soon as i can.
Old 10-05-07, 10:08 AM   #57
JREX53
Frogman

Bill,

When I run the program and select the saved game this error message comes up for the USS Trout (Tambor class) "Could not find a part of the path 'G:\data\submarine\NSS_Tambor\NSS_Tambor.cfg'." So I thought it might be a problem on my side so I started a new career with the USS Snook (Gato Class) and got the same error message only with the "G:\data\submarine\NSS_Gato\NSS_Gato.cfg" file.

Could you please give me some help with this?

Thanks
Jim IC1(SS)

Last edited by JREX53; 10-05-07 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-05-07, 03:55 PM   #58
billko
中国水兵

Quote:
Bill,

When I run the program and select the saved game this error message comes up for the USS Trout (Tambor class) "Could not find a part of the path 'G:\data\submarine\NSS_Tambor\NSS_Tambor.cfg'." So I thought it might be a problem on my side so I started a new career with the USS Snook (Gato Class) and got the same error message only with the "G:\data\submarine\NSS_Gato\NSS_Gato.cfg" file.

Thanks
Jim IC1(SS)
Jim:

This is an interesting error, as the install path is read right out of the registry. I think you mentioned you installed several instances of SH4. That would cause the registry to change certain critical install values and cause Damage Control to throw exactly the exception you have reported. I've never installed a program to more than one location. Do you actually have more than one SH4 instance in your "Add or Remove Programs?" I'm thinking not, because all evidence of the first install seems to have been overwritten. What version of SH4 are you running?

I certainly will make you able to specify the install path in Damage Control, but be aware that this application will cater to those with default installs. (All that means is that if it finds the default install information it will use it without prompting for input; you'll have to go to the menu bar to change it.) Also be aware that this could cause minor/major headaches for you as you try to remember which install goes with which saved game path! In fact, I think I will change the first-time startup to show the saved game folders path dialog only if it cannot find the default one. Just for consistency.

I cannot guarantee when it will be done, as I will mostly be out of town this weekend. (That, plus hockey season has begun!)

Bill

PS - I hope you don't feel bad about making more work for me. It's users with unusual setups like this that make an application the best it can be!!!
Old 10-05-07, 10:36 PM   #59
JREX53
Frogman

Quote:
Quote:
Bill,

Thanks
Jim IC1(SS)
Jim:

This is an interesting error, as the install path is read right out of the registry. I think you mentioned you installed several instances of SH4. That would cause the registry to change certain critical install values and cause Damage Control to throw exactly the exception you have reported. I've never installed a program to more than one location. Do you actually have more than one SH4 instance in your "Add or Remove Programs?" I'm thinking not, because all evidence of the first install seems to have been overwritten. What version of SH4 are you running?

I certainly will make you able to specify the install path in Damage Control, but be aware that this application will cater to those with default installs. (All that means is that if it finds the default install information it will use it without prompting for input; you'll have to go to the menu bar to change it.) Also be aware that this could cause minor/major headaches for you as you try to remember which install goes with which saved game path! In fact, I think I will change the first-time startup to show the saved game folders path dialog only if it cannot find the default one. Just for consistency.

I cannot guarantee when it will be done, as I will mostly be out of town this weekend. (That, plus hockey season has begun!)

Bill

PS - I hope you don't feel bad about making more work for me. It's users with unusual setups like this that make an application the best it can be!!!
Bill,
After I had installed the original SH4 using the default path, I followed the instructions for the MultiSH4, which were to copy the original install to a different directory. Yes there is only 1 instance in my "Add/Remove Programs." I am running version 1.3.
I kind of figured it was my set up that was the problem. I hope that this will not become too much of a problem child for you. I really appreciate what you have done for me and the rest of the forum members.

Jim IC1(SS)

PS - I found out why I got that error message. I forgot that I had to uninstall my original install of SH4, due to running out of hard drive space. I cleaned up my drive some and reinstalled SH4 and patched to 1.3. Then ran your program and it ran as advertised. (i.e. no errors). But I still have 2 copies of SH4 on my computer and your revised program worked great.

Thank you for help, sorry I tried to add more work for you.

Last edited by JREX53; 10-05-07 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-06-07, 01:21 AM   #60
billko
中国水兵

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Bill,

Thanks
Jim IC1(SS)
Jim:

Bill

Bill,
After I had installed the original SH4 using the default path, I followed the instructions for the MultiSH4, which were to copy the original install to a different directory. Yes there is only 1 instance in my "Add/Remove Programs." I am running version 1.3.
I kind of figured it was my set up that was the problem. I hope that this will not become too much of a problem child for you. I really appreciate what you have done for me and the rest of the forum members.

Jim IC1(SS)

PS - I found out why I got that error message. I forgot that I had to uninstall my original install of SH4, due to running out of hard drive space. I cleaned up my drive some and reinstalled SH4 and patched to 1.3. Then ran your program and it ran as advertised. (i.e. no errors). But I still have 2 copies of SH4 on my computer and your revised program worked great.

Thank you for help, sorry I tried to add more work for you.
As I said, Jim, it's no problem at all. You've just exposed two cases of my laziness for the world to see.

The first was hardcoding the saved game path, which really should've been editable like it is now; the second is checking to see if a valid SH4 install was present. I knew, in the back of my mind, that one day both of these would turn up and bite me in the behind!

I will still include the ability to change the SH4 path that Damage Control should use (and therefore the data path) in case you have several MultiSh4 installs with different mods enabled. (I believe there are mods out there that change submarine crush depths, for instance, and that would have a direct impact on Damage Control. I don't know if these mods change the submarine cfg files, but if they do (and they should, to keep everything in synch), then Damage Control will use the updated data!

Bill