SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-18-10, 01:41 PM   #1
pelucho25
Loader

Downloads: 1395
Uploads: 0
Default Experiences with the Operation Monsun...

Hi guys! What have been your experiences with Operation Monsun?
That degree of realism has?
Campaign Difficulty?
Limitations of Mod?
pelucho25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-10, 03:49 PM   #2
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

Okay, where to start.
Lurker made the Run silent, Run Deep campaign mod for the pacific theater and then he shifted over to the Atlantic to make Operation Monsun (of course it just started as the trip from lorient to the base in penang, but then it just kept expanding.
What lurker has always done is extensively researched and then implemented into the game the way he likes it, he's a stickler for the details, so as to your question of realism, it's very realistic.
The campaign difficulty is as you would expect, from late 1942 on it's more of a fight for survival than a free hunt. I suggest you start early and get used to how the campaign works before trying to do the Operation Monsun run.
There are no mod limitations, depending on what you are asking, it's a full 39-45 campaign, with training flotillas and training missions, and the whole shebang. there are a slew of new user missions, historic to the detail, it's not just to see if you can accomplish the mission, it's to see if you could actually do what the commander did or better. and that's the point behind the campaign. at least, that's what it is to me.
give it a try, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-10, 05:30 PM   #3
MaddogK
XO

Downloads: 15

I started from the beginning-'39, and tho the merchants are plentiful and for the most part easy prey, they're beginning to get smart (mid 1940) and run in groups with cover. The enemy aircraft are lethal, moreso than in the pacific, and the radio occasionally reports shipping attacks nearby from other u-boats in the area. I even run across freighters that are on fire, running flank into my area that gives the impression that I'm not working the entire ocean alone.

I have more fun with OM than I did in PTO running RSRDC, I think Lurker outdid himself with this campaign. I can hardly wait till there's a bridge campaign to the Indian Ocean area- I read it's in the works.

MaddogK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-10, 05:56 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I can't add much to what has been said. My only complaint is the lack of graphics goodies when compared to any major SH3 campaign. But Lurker was mostly a team of 1, and he did a great job. On the whole I like SH4 with Op Monsun much better than I like SH3.
Old 12-19-10, 04:53 AM   #5
Forensicman101
Gunner

Downloads: 79

I agree with the comments made thus far. One thing lacking in OM is that you cannot upgrade to a new submarine. That's not as much of a problem as it first seems. When you're ready for a new submarine, roll a couple of dice and wait that number of months, then start a new campaign with the new sub. OK, you get a new crew to train, but when you think about it that's more realistic than being able to take your entire crew with you to a new boat.
Bear in mind also that renown points are effectively worthless. Some people like this, arguing that the renown system was unrealistic, others miss it.
There are neutrals, but as far as I can tell you don't get penalised for sinking them. This isn't as odd as it first seems, as neutral ships near Allied harbours & neutrals sailing as part of Allied convoys were legitimate targets.
I've played every type of submarine & have played from 1939 to the war's end. It gets very tough in the latter part of the war - as it should be. Just getting out to patrol and back again is an achievement. Overall, a great mod & it's amazing that it was produced by one person.
Forensicman101 is offline   Reply With Quote