SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-09-09, 06:39 PM   #1
Roebuc
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Modding a Steam Install

Hey guys, just downloaded SH3 a couple of weeks ago and can not believe I have been missing this series. Anyways, as the title says, I have a Steam Install of SH3. While I can do the basic mod installs, ie improved smoke, SH3_WORLD, Bowspray and a few others, I want to do a GWX and SH3 Commander install. I am about to attempt GWX but already tried SH3 Commander and it is giving me problems. Since GWX is such a big Mod, I was hoping someone could either point me to some text or tell me the best way to mod a Steam Install. Thanks.
Roebuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 07:59 PM   #2
bobchase
Torpedoman

Downloads: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roebuc View Post
Hey guys, just downloaded SH3 a couple of weeks ago and can not believe I have been missing this series. Anyways, as the title says, I have a Steam Install of SH3. While I can do the basic mod installs, ie improved smoke, SH3_WORLD, Bowspray and a few others, I want to do a GWX and SH3 Commander install. I am about to attempt GWX but already tried SH3 Commander and it is giving me problems. Since GWX is such a big Mod, I was hoping someone could either point me to some text or tell me the best way to mod a Steam Install. Thanks.
If SH3 commander is giving you problems, were you fully patched to 1.4b before you started to add mods?

Bob
bobchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 08:34 PM   #3
Otto Heinzmeir
Weps

Downloads: 2

Since you don't have a disk. First thing I would do is back up all SH3 files to a CD or DVD. If the files won't all fit on one disk. Put the sound folder on a second disk (as that is one of biggest)

If your installing in Vista. I suggest turning UAC off before you start. If you have Vista, you might want to check out one of the Vista threads that are about. The GWX manual is pretty thorough and has all the install info you need regarding what order to install in.

100% Realism DID + No God's Eye View____SH3 Commander Crew Rotation

Otto Heinzmeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 09:01 PM   #4
Roebuc
Nub

I am not using Vista, its XP Pro SP3. I have backed up the files as well. SH# Commander says it can not find an install of SH3 and thats why it doesnt work.
Old 04-09-09, 09:31 PM   #5
A Very Super Market
The Old Man

First, yes. Back things up. It is a pain to re-download things.

Second, nothing is really different from non-steam games. Just keep the game folder within /steam/steamapps/ and you should be fine. I have SH3 on steam myself, and I'm not very sure what your problem is.

The entire German garrison of Vanviken, right here in your thread!
A Very Super Market is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 09:38 PM   #6
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

If SH3Cmdr can't automatically find a valid SH3 installation, it will ask you to locate it manually. In the browse folder dialog displayed by SH3Cmdr, navigate to your SH3 root folder (the one with SH3.exe in it) and click OK.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-09, 09:21 AM   #7
Roebuc
Nub

Ok I got it to work. GWX3 went in no problem. SH3 Commander had some issues, but I used the GX3 Commander install to install over SH3 Commander(rather than deleting and installing as manual said) and it seemed to redirect SH3 Commander through Steam automatically. SH3 Commander never prompted me to find my SH3 install, just kept saying SH3 is not present on my machine and can not install.

Side question, and let me know if I need to start a new thread for this. I have read some text hinting towards a SH3 Commander 3.2, however the latest download I can find is 2.7. Every post that talks about a newer version seems to have the download links removed. Is there a newer version than 2.7? or was there but for what ever reason it has been removed? Thanks for the help guys.

Even though this game is awesome and there seem to be great mods for it, I still need to get better. Was captured on my first patrol after installing GWX3 and SH3 Commander lol.

Last edited by Roebuc; 04-10-09 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-09-16, 02:46 PM   #8
RevReese
Watch

Downloads: 98

@Roebuc

Hi, I know this is resurrecting a long dead thread but I have to ask, did you get Steam to count your playtime when loading with SH3Commander?
If i load via Commander, steam doesn't detect the game as running so no playtime, and if i load via steam, it counts my playtime but i don't get the benefits of commander!

Occasionally, if i load SH3C up, THEN launch the game via steam, sometimes it says "launched via SH3 Commander" and sometimes it doesn't.

Though I have noticed that when it seems to load up via SH3C, upon quitting the game, there is no "rollback" option in commander which makes me think that commander has not integrated correctly even though it detects my Commander career save!

Is there any other way of confirming that SH3 commander has successfully integrated with my game other than the rollback feature being an option?

I know it is only a silly little thing having my playing time be counted, though I will use SH3 commander outside of steam if i have to to gain the benefits of using it, but i would be forever curious on how long i have been on patrol!

EDIT: I have found a workaround that seems okay for me.
Load SH3 via Commander and let it make the changes to the game.
Close SH3 and Commander ensuring the automatic rollback is unchecked.
Load SH3 via Steam and so far it seems to think it was loaded via Commander even though it wasn't!
My Commander career saves load up no problem and all seems to be well, also, it says "loaded via sh3 commander" on the main menu even though Commander wasn't even loaded!

Last edited by RevReese; 11-09-16 at 03:42 PM.
RevReese is offline   Reply With Quote