SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-02-08, 03:49 PM   #1
Rosencrantz
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 0
Default Problems with waypoints

I know there is an issue with tactic changes in mission editor = it won't work. However, now it seems to me impossible to add more waypoints in Transit tactic after first four. I thought that shouldn't be a problem. Anyone got same results?

Greetings,
-RC-
Rosencrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-08, 04:30 PM   #2
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

I think they always appear in front of the selected waypoint, so you just need to put the new waypoint where the fourth one is and move the fourth one where you wanted the new one.
Old 03-02-08, 04:37 PM   #3
Rosencrantz
Grey Wolf

Oh dear, what I wrote!
What I meant is, ships will ignore waypoints after fourth one - not that I can't add them... Sorry.
Old 03-02-08, 05:11 PM   #4
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Can't say I've seen that myself, sorry.
Old 03-02-08, 05:14 PM   #5
Rosencrantz
Grey Wolf

Thanks anyway.
It's just wierd how vessels starts circling around the fourth waypoint. Next one about 1.5 miles away.
Old 03-02-08, 06:47 PM   #6
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosencrantz
Thanks anyway.
It's just wierd how vessels starts circling around the fourth waypoint. Next one about 1.5 miles away.
That is weird. They are supposed to travel on the course and speed they were assigned at the last waypoint, not stop there. Check the tolerance on the waypoint, maybe its too small for the ship to hit and its circling hopelessly trying to reach the waypoint.
Old 03-02-08, 07:12 PM   #7
Rosencrantz
Grey Wolf

Thanks for helping me, Molon Labe!
Quick question: How do I check the tolerance? What I'm doing is trying to get one Ohio out of harbour. I have planted waypoints good way apart from each other to give a sub enough time for course change and so on. Every single time leaving pier goes just fine, also gaining speed + first (usually two) course changes. Then sub starts circling + sometimes CTD. I reinstalled both DW and Lwami 308 - no change. (Created new base and the vessels again, nothing "old" within.)

Well, at least I haven't seen anything like this before. Just wondering if Ohios helmsmann just got last long night in a bar or two before departing...

Greetings,
-RC-
Old 03-02-08, 07:46 PM   #8
Rosencrantz
Grey Wolf

Sorry, stupid Q. Found tolerance -hadn't tried it before.
Set tolerance to be 0,50 nm - still no luck. Problem seems to be again 4th waypoint = last of first row. Now, this is the very first time I really think the sim could have been done way muuuuch better. Also it's weird CTD occurs now when I exit the game, not before. Then I got the error message...

-RC-
Old 03-02-08, 08:29 PM   #9
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

My only guess at this point is that there is some sort of corruption going on. Delete the boomer and put new one in its place.
Old 03-03-08, 04:32 AM   #10
Rosencrantz
Grey Wolf

Hello Molon, again!

I did just what you suggested and more: Opend all new "mission" in editor and this time in open sea. Put in just one Ohio + one playable 688. Then gave Ohio 8 waypoints, (put chart labels in for cheking) 1 nm apart + 90 degrees course change each time. First time I run the "the mission" Ohio stopped after he reached waypoint 4. Exit and opend editor again. Gave duration for "new" transit tactic at WP4 (waypoint 4) 99:99:99.
Run the mission again. At WP4 Ohio first turns wrong direction but correct his path and heads for WP5. After couple minutes, CTD.

Results and notes:
1. Ohio can follow sharp turns (90d/1nm) wery well at speed 12 knots surfaced.
2. There is a serius problem with WP4 - no matter if you are in tiny littoral areas or open sea.
3. I don't believe this is caused by my system but "change tactic" problem no matter there wasn't actual change in tac.

Big question is: Does anyone have SO good contacts with Sonalyst that problem could be asked/begged to be solved by them. I'm aware since DW company got "something big" to do in RL business and their resources/interests concerning gamers must be very low now. However my opiniton is that this "Change Tac Problem" is seriouse and should be treated so. This sim wasn't a cheap product for customers either so we should be able to get support now.

Greetings,
-RC-
Old 03-03-08, 05:39 AM   #11
Rosencrantz
Grey Wolf

GREAT NEWS!!!

First of all, I got Ohio move on to WP5,6,7 and so and without CTD. And quess what, I think I found the way how to get Change tactic work!!!

I think problem lays in Time Duration. First waypoints: I noticed after I gave duration for "new tactic" at WP4, Ohio headed for WP5 and then CTD. Next thing I tried was give just one (first) WP from a new "row of waypoints" duration 24:00:00. So now I got just WP5. Did WP6,7 and 8 in the same way. = "Changed" tactic and deleted last 3 WPs editor gave, gave 24:00:00 duration for the first and last new WP and then "changed tactic" again and so on. After that Ohio followed WPs just fine and stopped at last WP.

This made me think if the real problem is actually in duration. So I gave Ohio a second try. This time, after 4 first WPs run in "Transit" mode I gave a new "Barrier" tactic and set duration 24:00:00. And quess what? Everything works just fine.

Now I'm wondering if folks has set duration to be 99:99:99 after change of tactic. For example: When mission begins, Object A starts in transit mode, heading to it's oparea. Now mission designer would like Object A to stay in oparea rest of mission searching targets for example in Barrier mode, and so designer sets duration to be 99:99:99 and Voila! Sim doesn't accept duration that long. I also noticed when I set duration to be 99:99:99, AFTER I left and returned to WP in question, there wasn't 99:99:99 in the screen but something 103:56:88 or something like that. Can't explain that but...

Greetings,
-RC-

Last edited by Rosencrantz; 03-03-08 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-03-08, 07:42 AM   #12
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

hey, at least you got it working. this whole thing is still confusing though
Old 03-03-08, 01:34 PM   #13
Rosencrantz
Grey Wolf

Yep, this really is confusing and my funny explaining did no good either. (Edited my previous post and tried fix my mistakes.) For example that weird duration chance from 99 to over hundred. However I saw it with my own eyes. Am I right change from transit mode to barrier patrol as set shouldn't be working? Well, at least I could have Ohio run barrier from one end to another few times with no problems just by setting duration for tactic to be 24 hours. Have to do more testing tomorrow.

Greetings,
-RC-
Old 03-03-08, 05:22 PM   #14
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosencrantz
Yep, this really is confusing and my funny explaining did no good either. (Edited my previous post and tried fix my mistakes.) For example that weird duration chance from 99 to over hundred. However I saw it with my own eyes. Am I right change from transit mode to barrier patrol as set shouldn't be working? Well, at least I could have Ohio run barrier from one end to another few times with no problems just by setting duration for tactic to be 24 hours. Have to do more testing tomorrow.

Greetings,
-RC-
I have no idea why a barrier would work but not a transit. I routinely add waypoints to transit search tactics and never had any problems.
Old 03-04-08, 11:50 AM   #15
Rosencrantz
Grey Wolf

"Title tells it!"
After trials in open sea moved back into harbour with hope. Just can't understand this: I put 4 WPs good way apart each other and run the sim. After leaving his pier Ohio makes sudden and exact 90 degrees turn to starboard between two WPs - or something as stupid as that - and grounds. Three other vessels in the harbour too but every single of them lying still in the pier, including my 688, which means no avoidable traffic on the area. Still Ohio seems to think "All ahead flank, right full rudder!" Jeez, what's the matter with this game?!?

However, this day was a good day. Just one CTD and it was solved by movig first WP 150 yards away!

Oh boy...

-RC-