SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-02-15, 10:09 AM   #1
washishu
Mate

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default Driving from the tower

I like the tower; it's cosey. There doesn't appear to be a shortcut to get there. I particularly like to make an attack from the tower but after using the scope the only way to get back to the tower seems to be via the control room.

Is there some secret shortcut that would allow me to use the scope and then get straight back to the tower; it's kids' stuff really but I get a kick out of using those little buttons to open the tubes and stuff.

Also, as I'm on a Macbook, therefore a short keyboard, does anyone know a way to, so to speak, page-up/down the scope without page-up/down keys. I have a vague memory that I used to be able to do that a long time ago, but I did play on a pc for a while and I may be getting confused.

It would be real nice to be able to sit in the tower, scope up, flick the little switches and scope down without having to excuse myself through the control room every time.
washishu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-15, 10:24 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Magic key to the conning tower: Open Data/Cfg/Commands_en

[Cmd13]
Name=Conning_tower_camera
Ctxt=1
Key0=0x78,,"F9"
Page=0x33000000,3715
GoBack=Command_room_free_camera

The 'GoBack' doesn't matter; that's just what I have mine set to. The important part is the "F9". Normally that key takes you to the radio room. This way it will take you to the conning tower.

To get back from the Attack 'Scope:

[Cmd16]
Name=Periscope_camera
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F020003
Key0=0x72,,"F3"
Page=0x26000000,3702
GoBack=Conning_tower_camera

What I used to do was simple. If I wanted to go to the tower I would "F4" to the Bridge and then click my right mouse button, which I have set to go back one page.

For raising and lowering the 'scope you can always use the mouse to click the levers in the Periscope view screen.
Old 03-02-15, 11:22 AM   #3
washishu
Mate

Most excellent sir, thank you. Thing is, with the Mac I have to hold down the fn key to use the functions, but that works and I can now fn/F9 and I'm in the tower.

What I was meaning re the 'scope was to avoid having to hold the lever 'til it's up/down. I seem to recall there was a key combination that allowed me to replicate the page up/down, but I might be confusing the memory with the short time I used a full pc keyboard.
Old 03-02-15, 11:48 AM   #4
Plague
Watch

Downloads: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by washishu View Post
Most excellent sir, thank you. Thing is, with the Mac I have to hold down the fn key to use the functions, but that works and I can now fn/F9 and I'm in the tower.

What I was meaning re the 'scope was to avoid having to hold the lever 'til it's up/down. I seem to recall there was a key combination that allowed me to replicate the page up/down, but I might be confusing the memory with the short time I used a full pc keyboard.
I have a Mac keyboard too and I solve the problem using the software SetKeys and changing the default keys page up/down with shift+A and shift+Z.

If you don't want to use that software, you can open your Data/cfg/command_en with notepad and do the modification yourself.

If you don't want to use the fn key with F-buttons you can change the relative preference in the options panel of Bootcamp (it works only if you open Bootcamp in Windows).

EDIT: I can't remember if shift+A or shift+Z are linked to some other order; if you use SetKeys, the program itself clears the redundance, if you change the command_en manually, you have to verify it.
Old 03-04-15, 08:25 AM   #5
washishu
Mate

Aha. Most excellent to you too, sir. Although I've used Macs (for graphics) for over twenty years now, I've never much cared how they (or any other computer for that matter) does what they do; I just want them to keep doing it.

It's only for things like this it becomes slightly inconvenient. But I'll have a fumble around and try what you suggest. I'm assuming that SetKeys is a download application and you're right in hinting that I might not want to use such; probably because I've never been interested in code and stuff, I tend to avoid such things because I don't have the understanding to put things right if they go wrong.