SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-24-15, 06:51 PM   #1
Nemo66
Bosun

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
Default SAVING SH3-MULTIPLAYER

Mates,

i am shocked to read that UBI stopped serving SH3 online. Thats another hard and unsober punch in the face of us customers !!!
SINK UBYLON NOW!

I highly appreciate that some mates here try to keep online gaming for SH3 Fans alive, especially Bl!tzkr!eg seems to work a lot to show subsimmers what they are about to loose, even before they have experienced it yet.

THX MATE!

I have played SH2/3 online a lot, SH2/DC was the most fullfilling and satisfying PC gaming experience i ever had (see my special thread)

SH3 i mostly played "Sub versus Sub", which means you fight against up to 7 other german subs, with real human skippers, and the one that is still afloat at the end is the winner. This was developed by gamers who got bored by the COOP modus who developed special missions/maps for it.
It's extremly hard but showed me a lot of skills i did not even know i was lacking. It really enhanced my gameplay, also for offline/career i really learned a lot.

AND IT'S REALLY GREAT FUN TO SURVIVE AND HAVE SUNK 7 OTHERS!
(especially when 3 or 4 of them belong to a clan and team up against you and you sank 'em all in the same game)

It's also possible to do 1vs1, 2vs2, 3vs3 or 4vs4 group battles, this depends on the map/mission and can also be great fun. It is way more satisfying and exciting to play against real humans instead of AI ships, no matter what kind of game.
COOP mode can be real fun too, but you need serious players with a lot of discipline for it. Most players don't follow any attack plan, and play their own ego-game to get the most credit points, and don't care at all about the effectiveness of the team. (To fight against somebody who gets on your nerve is way better than to have to cooperate with him!) Also a lot of COOP missions are way to easy and you just fire your eels into a wall of ships; especially in easy realism settings this is quite boring.

On the other hand there are players and missions that are designed and played very nice and serious. I played really hardcore longtime missions together with other cool subsimmers for hours and hours. It's like in real life: You always need good people for a good game.
If you join a server, you can be thrown out by the host at any given moment; and you have no influence about the map/mission design at all, that means play what you get or leave. This can be quite unsatisfying.

BUT IF YOU ARE THE ONE WHO OPENS A SERVER IT'S YOU AND ONLY YOU WHO HAS TO DECIDE WETHER A PLAYER IS ALLOWED TO JOIN AND WHAT KIND OF GAME YOU WANT TO PLAY. YOU MAKE THE RULES AND YOU GOT THE POWER. THIS IS VERY SATISFYING!

After a while you know the other players quite well and know who plays seriously and who doesn't, or even is a faker/cheater. It's great fun to design maps/missions in the mission editor, and this is not half as complicated as you might think. SH3 mission editor comes with the game and is located together with a readthrough in the programm folder.

Online gaming to me is not really the point of interest; it's gaming with/against really serious playing gamers of real flesh and blood, with own thougts, brains, and their individual fancyful creativity.....online is just a meeting place for that!

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND MAP-MAKING/MISSION DESIGNING AND SERVING ONLINE TO ALL SH2/3 SUBSIMMERS! THIS IS THE HOLY GRAIL OF SUBSIMMING; WAY BETTER THAN ANY UBI-MISSION OR CAREER YOU EVER PLAYED!
Nemo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 09:01 AM   #2
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Ahoy Nemo, great comments, thanks for sharing. We are trying to kindle more interest in MP with SH3 and games in general here at Subsim. I will let your comments air here for a week or so in order to gain the notice of regular SH3 players. After a few weeks, with your permission, BL!TZKR!EG would like to have the thread moved to Multiplayer Central, so it will remain at the top of the threads.

Thanks!
Neal
Old 02-28-15, 09:42 AM   #3
Nemo66
Bosun

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

THX Blitz & Neal,

that was exactly what i intended, too!
Nemo66 is offline   Reply With Quote