SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-17-17, 11:10 AM   #1
Machariel
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default 4 newb torpedo questions

I'm in the Academy now.

1) How do I find out how many torps I got left whilst submerged or in the ship?
2) Can I move aft torpedoes to the front?
3) What is the speed button (s/mf/)? I suppose it increases the speed of the torpedo, but what are the consequences? Might as well set it to "fast", but I suppose there's specific reasons to do (or not to do) so.
4) What is the M/I setting for Torpedoes? My guess is "Impact/Magnetic". Impact must be precise, but Magnetic...near? When to use which?
5) What are reasonable max ranges to engage at?

I'm using the LSH 3 mod in case it's relevant (what do I know).

~ Cheers!

Last edited by Machariel; 03-17-17 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-17-17, 11:32 AM   #2
Delanski
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 116
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machariel View Post
1) How do I find out how many torps I got left whilst submerged or in the ship?
Pressing 'I' will display how many torpedoes you have left.

Quote:
2) Can I move aft torpedoes to the front?
From my experience with SH3, it's not possible, even with the external reserve torpedo.

Quote:
3) What is the speed button (s/mf/)? I suppose it increases the speed of the torpedo, but what are the consequences? Might as well set it to "fast", but I suppose there's specific reasons to do (or not to do) so.
Speed you got right with the S/M/F settings. The consequences however, the faster the torpedo is, the shorter the range will be. Since it's using up a lot of power to keep a constant speed. I think there's a guide somewhere that tells what the ranges are with each setting.

Quote:
4) What is the M/I setting for Torpedoes? My guess is "Impact/Magnetic". Impact must be precise, but Magnetic...near? When to use which?
Again you're correct with Impact and Magnetic. Impact is perfect for targets facing at 90 degree angle or near to it, so pretty much for anything a flat surface facing towards you. You can use Magnetic in the same situation if you'd like, I also use magnetic if a ship facing an odd angle where impact isn't going to be an option (because it's going to bounce off the hull). The biggest advantage with magnetic is the ability to exploded underneath a ship's draft where the armour is the weakest. The whole idea of an magnetic detonator is to exploded whenever it detects the ships magnetic field. Keep in mind, the magnetic option can be bit wonky at times, particular in rough weather and on the fast speed option. (It could be different on LSH since I'm only playing with GWX).

Last edited by Delanski; 03-17-17 at 11:53 AM.
Delanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 11:44 AM   #3
Harm
Seaman

Downloads: 38

LSH3-2015 <> TUTORIALS <> ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW <> ALL IN ONE PLACE
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 01:47 PM   #4
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

To add to the speed of the torpedoes. Uboats used speed to time their shots during a convoy attack. When firing at multiple targets, you want your torps to hit at the same time so other ships do not make evasive manuevers. So you would fire at the furthest target first, at a slow speed to get more distance, and then fire at closer targets at faster speeds. But that means you have to
Wait for the first torp to get close before you fire the others. This is where ranging a target gets serious.

The magnet setting is not for "near" shots. You still have to
Get the angles right before firing, the magnet is set so You can send the torp under the keel of the ship and explode. The keel is the weakest point of the ship and almost garuantees a sunk ship.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 01:53 PM   #5
ridley
Helmsman

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delanski View Post
Again you're correct with Impact and Magnetic. Impact is perfect for targets facing at 90 degree angle or near to it, so pretty much for anything a flat surface facing towards you. You can use Magnetic in the same situation if you'd like, I also use magnetic if a ship facing an odd angle where impact isn't going to be an option (because it's going to bounce off the hull). The biggest advantage with magnetic is the ability to exploded underneath a ship's draft where the armour is the weakest. The whole idea of an magnetic detonator is to exploded whenever it detects the ships magnetic field. Keep in mind, the magnetic option can be bit wonky at times, particular in rough weather and on the fast speed option. (It could be different on LSH since I'm only playing with GWX).
I hope that this isn't seen as a cheat but in my experience it matters not a jot which you set it to, just aim for a metre under the hull regardless of the torpedo or i/m setting. Shouldn't work but it does.
ridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 03:58 PM   #6
Machariel
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridley View Post
I hope that this isn't seen as a cheat but in my experience it matters not a jot which you set it to, just aim for a metre under the hull regardless of the torpedo or i/m setting. Shouldn't work but it does.
That's the draft right?
Old 03-17-17, 04:12 PM   #7
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Correct. Draft is how far below the water, the ships keel sits. Aim for a meter under it. In bad weather, use impact, and set depth to hit the keel.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 04:58 PM   #8
Machariel
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
Correct. Draft is how far below the water, the ships keel sits. Aim for a meter under it. In bad weather, use impact, and set depth to hit the keel.
Aye aye sir!
Old 03-18-17, 05:08 AM   #9
Leoz
Ensign

Downloads: 253

Everyone does things slightly different and if you are having fun that is all that matters.

With that, I spend most of my time 1939 to 1941. I never use magnetic shots because I have put a lot of work into a firing solution and don't want yet another thing that will "maybe" work.

When I say, a lot of time. In a recent patrol, I spent 45 minutes putting together a good setup for a submerged attack. Lots of observations. Scribbling on the F5 map etc. ....Only to find that when I did one of my observations near the attack decision time, I could see the flag on this ship...and it was a country I couldn't attack. That is part of the immersion in the game too.

If you decide at some point you want to obsess over the game after trying it out awhile. Take the time to learn how to put together a good firing solution on the chart/map (F5) command. It take time but once you figure that out, you might get into the habit of never using a torpedo on a target that isn't within 70-110 angle on the bow. I am a 75-100 person myself.

Don't worry if this doesn't make sense right now. If it some time the bug bites and you love the game, you will figure it all out.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Leoz is offline   Reply With Quote