SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-23-17, 12:56 PM   #1
Machariel
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Simple question plus pro navigation quesiton in here

Sinple question here: I'm in my 6th patrol Again I'm sent to AE98, some nowhere place where nothing happens. Is this normal? Or am I supposed to go through the motions for 24 hours to complete the primary objective, but after that roam as much as my fuel can take to find some kills?

Now something real. You veterans are going to cum on this one:
How do I accomplish an interception course which meets requirements. Usually they are: at 1500 meters, 90 degree angel. My ship is, say 50 KM away from whoever, I'm at x knots submerged, the other is at y knots, pls help with formula/procedure to align properly. I'm willing to learn so have a go at it. Also, what is the correct terminology for aligning tactically to get that 90 degree angle at a certain distance?

The assumption is that I know the speed, range and the (global) direction of the target ship.

Last edited by Machariel; 03-23-17 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-23-17, 02:10 PM   #2
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

the game sends you to a zone for 24 hours just to send you somewhere. You dont have to follow that. In the DEF we usually get a 2 week patrol.

Your second question.

First, being submerged you will not intercept anything because you are too slow. You have to surface, and either start the 4 bearing method, or stalk your target (run parallel in an attempt to find course and speed). Once you have the course and speed, you can now plot out your "ATTACK COURSE".

The 90 degree method is solid, so if your target is traveling say north 0 degrees, then you have to attack the ship at 90 or 270 degrees. The real challenge is figuring the target ships speed out so you can plot where he will be in a certain amount of time. Once you have this, you can calculate what speed you need to travel to successfully overtake him, and be in a forward position of his track when firing the torps.

And you are wrong, 1500m is not where you want to be, go for inside 1000m. This will eliminate errors from your calculations. And attack at night!

Ill send you a link on how to.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-17, 02:27 PM   #3
Machariel
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
the game sends you to a zone for 24 hours just to send you somewhere. You dont have to follow that. In the DEF we usually get a 2 week patrol.

Your second question.

First, being submerged you will not intercept anything because you are too slow. You have to surface, and either start the 4 bearing method, or stalk your target (run parallel in an attempt to find course and speed). Once you have the course and speed, you can now plot out your "ATTACK COURSE".

The 90 degree method is solid, so if your target is traveling say north 0 degrees, then you have to attack the ship at 90 or 270 degrees. The real challenge is figuring the target ships speed out so you can plot where he will be in a certain amount of time. Once you have this, you can calculate what speed you need to travel to successfully overtake him, and be in a forward position of his track when firing the torps.

And you are wrong, 1500m is not where you want to be, go for inside 1000m. This will eliminate errors from your calculations. And attack at night!

Ill send you a link on how to.
Yes, I am subscribed to your channel since I got here, and took a peek at the four bearing method, but I didn't understand it was useful for my question, which was a goal-orient attack course (so 1000m @90 knowing speed and direction). I'll check it out again!
Old 03-23-17, 02:37 PM   #4
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

There are good tutorials here : http://op-alberich.forumactif.org/t7-tutorials

But you have to be registered on this forum to see the pictures.
Old 03-23-17, 02:45 PM   #5
bstanko6
Admiral

Once you get the target course, you have all the information to set up an attack angle.

In order to set yourself up for that attack, is getting in front of the target, and having enough time to set your boat up for the attack. You need the target speed to get there.

So if your target is traveling 5 knots (1knot = 1.852 meters), then I know in 1 hours that target will travel 9.26km. I can adjust this number for 2 hours, 4, 48, and so froth. So if i want to be in front of the target, within 1000m close to it, taking into consideration the time of day, how far I am currently away from the target, if I have to at some point submerge, then I can determine how fast I need to go.

Just hitting Flank speed is great, but I want to travel economically, and get in front of this target without waiting an hour for it to travel to me. I cant go too slow because I need to get far enough ahead to set my attack up. I will make that my next video.

DISCORD
Old 03-23-17, 02:46 PM   #6
Machariel
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
There are good tutorials here : http://op-alberich.forumactif.org/t7-tutorials

But you have to be registered on this forum to see the pictures.
Oooh solid!
Old 03-23-17, 03:22 PM   #7
Machariel
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
If don't accomplish the primary taks, will I still get my revenues?
Old 03-23-17, 03:33 PM   #8
bstanko6
Admiral

Renown? No. you get them by sinking cargo.

DISCORD
Old 03-23-17, 04:12 PM   #9
Machariel
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Renown? No. you get them by sinking cargo.
LOL then screw orders indeed (unless there's some good stuff to be had).
Where's the stopwatch in the nav room? I have only one in periscope/UZO. Or do I need a stopwatch mod or something?
Old 03-23-17, 05:22 PM   #10
bstanko6
Admiral

MAGUI F is the mod I use, and it comes with a stopwatch in the nav map. You activate it in the UZO or periscope, and you can see it moving on the nav screen. Being that I hunger for realism, in campaign I use an actual chronometer.

DISCORD
Old 03-23-17, 06:30 PM   #11
YellowFin
Engineer

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

Intercept course:

v_e = own speed
v_g = target speed
alpha = angle between target's course and target's relative bearing
beta = angle between target's relative bearing and intercept course

asin((v_g / v_e) * sin(alpha)) = beta
  1. Go to map (F5)
  2. Plot target's course with ruler
  3. Measure angle alpha with protractor by clicking first on target's course, then on target, then on your own position -> alpha
  4. Calculate beta with above formula
  5. Select protractor, click on target, then on your own position, open angle until it's equal to beta
  6. Follow this course to intercept target
YellowFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-17, 07:47 PM   #12
bstanko6
Admiral

That is the mathematical way to do that. But I find that with Weather, and veteran status of your target can affect your ability to use math to successfully attack your target. I believe math along with experience gives you better results. There is no disrespect to yellow fin.

DISCORD
Old 03-24-17, 01:11 AM   #13
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machariel View Post
Sinple question here: I'm in my 6th patrol Again I'm sent to AE98, some nowhere place where nothing happens. Is this normal? Or am I supposed to go through the motions for 24 hours to complete the primary objective, but after that roam as much as my fuel can take to find some kills?
Sometimes the game gets hung up and sends you to the same place over and over again. In real life you would be assigned to an area and told to stay there until further orders. If there was no traffic they would send you somewhere else. There is no rule that makes you stay there, or even go there, except the extra renown you get for doing so. If you're playing GWX even that is turned off.

One option is to use SH3 Commander, which lets you assign yourself your own locations.
Old 03-24-17, 05:32 AM   #14
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Guys
Steve has come up with the ideal solution.
SH3Commander is an application where the player has the choice to play the area grid of their choice.
SH3C has many other aspects in it to enhance your gaming experience.

SH3Commander comes already installed in LSH3-2015.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-17, 07:24 AM   #15
YellowFin
Engineer

Downloads: 56

Quote:
That is the mathematical way to do that. But I find that with Weather, and veteran status of your target can affect your ability to use math to successfully attack your target. I believe math along with experience gives you better results. There is no disrespect to yellow fin.
The formula, which I found in a post in the german part of the forum, allows you to quickly determine whether you even have a chance at catching up with a map contact. If the angles and speeds of your boat and the target don't add up you will not get a result (i.e. an error on your phone or a calculator).

I use it to assess the feasibility and determine whether it's worth the time and how far I'd have to chase in a given direction. Looking at other map contacts and the general nautical and tactical situation (i.e. am I travelling home, how is the fuel situation, what are my orders, is it a valuable target?) I can easily decide whether to pursue or not.

There is also a graphical solution to the intercept course problem:

A sloppy description:
  1. plot a line from target to our own ship;
  2. plot target's heading from target;
  3. select a factor to find a distance representative of target's speed, e.g. if target's speed is 6 knots -> 6 km (factor 1) or 60 km (factor 10) or 300 km (factor 50);
  4. use the same factor to find the distance representative of desired intercept speed;
  5. find first triangle by plotting representative distance for target on target's heading and by plotting representative distance for our own boat on the line connecting our position with target's position (start from target);
  6. parallel move (i.e. copy) the third side of first triangle such that our current position is on it. This gives you a second triangle which shares two sides with the first triangle;

The last line obtained in the second triangle is the interception course.

A mathematically precise description:

km stands for kilometer
nm stands for nautical miles
1 nm = 1.852 km
1 knot = 1 nm / h
A = target position
B = our position
v_g = 6 knots (a typical convoy speed)
v_e = 11 knots (the speed at which you wish to intercept)
p = 5.4 (any factor that makes the plotting feasible and easy, see [1])
if m denotes a (geometrical) line |m| denotes its length (in km)
  1. plot a line c from A to B;
  2. plot a line b' with |b'| = p * |v_g| = 60 km in the target's heading from A. Let's call the end point of that line C';
  3. plot a circle (with center A and r = p * |v_e| = 110 km). Let's call the intersection of the circle with line c (or its continuation beyond B) point B';
  4. plot a line a' from B' to C';
  5. plot a line a parallel to a' from B to intersect with b' (or its continuation beyond C') in a new position C;

a is the intercept course to interception position C.

This method basically pretends you're at a distance which is a multiple p of |v_e| and then graphically adjusts, i.e. multiplies or divides that distance to fit it to the actual distance you are at.

[1]
It doesn't matter what you select here. Note that you don't have to calculate a value for p. Just pretend that nm = km when taking distances on the map. You implicitly 'calculate' a value for p by simply plotting the sides of the triangle in whichever 'nice' number of units of distance you chose. That's the beauty of geometry, it works with ratios and angles and does not care about specific units or conversions. p only serves to make a' longer and thus easier to read out the intercept course, if p > 1. In practice select a factor that fits the map situation, e.g. p = *00 if you're 100 to 1000 km away from each other, and similarly p = *0 if you're 10 to 100 km away.

Last edited by YellowFin; 03-24-17 at 12:30 PM. Reason: clarity
YellowFin is offline   Reply With Quote