SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-10-17, 04:58 PM   #1
Zander42
Swabbie

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
Default Type VIIC Emblems not showing up

Hello,

I generally try not to start new threads, but haven't really seen to many other threads that address this problem, at least no in a thread that's not more than two years old.

I've not been able to get any emblems to show up on a Type VIIC conning tower. The image of the emblem shows up in the crew management screen but not in the 3D model in the game world. I've done several targeted Google searches to try to figure out a fix. The closest I've seen to a discussion about this problem, and potential fix, is a thread which leads to the "Trum7c_8 Your Way" mod published by Privateer in 2009. I downloaded this fix and installed but no joy. My emblems were still not showing up.

I've tried:
Multiple, different emblems.
Going on a first patrol in a VIIC with no emblem, then returning to base and applying the emblem then. Still no emblem.
Uninstalling my mods (see below). Game won't load in vanilla so the most basic mod I could run is LSH V5. Still no emblem.

My emblems work as expected in the Type IIA, and VIIB. I assume they work on the IX and XXI as well, but I haven't tried them. It seems to be a problem with the VIIC. Didn't try the /41 either.

Here are my install specifics:
Win7 Ultimate 64 bit.
SHIII
LSH3 V5
LSH3 V5.1
LSH3 V5.1 GUI OLC

I also have some high 'specialeffekte,' sea color, and EnvSimAct_10 mods, but as I mentioned above, rolling back the mods to bare LSH3 V5.0 and nothing else did not fix the problem.

I have a weak suspicion that the Trum7c_8_hd.dat is not being referenced. I have S3D so I can look in to the data files. There seem to be two separate places where the hull graphics are located. In data\Submarine\NSS_Uboat7c there is NSS_Uboat7c.dat. This files has an embedded .TGA, NSS_Uboat7c_Hull. Similarly, in data\Objects there is Trum7c_8_hd.dat which also has an embedded tga, also named NSS_Uboat7c_hull, but this tga is clearly different than the one in NSS_Uboat7c.dat. The hull graphics that shows up in my game is clearly the one in the NSS_Uboat7c.dat and not the one in Trum7c_8_hd.dat.

I even tried exporting the tga from the NSS_Uboat7c.dat, manually adding an emblem and then re-importing it in to the .dat but that led to bizarre results since the skin from the place I was trying to apply the emblem is used for multiple locations around the conning tower, so no dice there.

So, it seems to me that the game isn't reading the .tga file from the Trum7c_8_hd.dat. Maybe that's why Privateers fix isn't working.

I"m obviously pretty far down the rabbit hole on this one. It's certainly not a game breaking problem, but it will nag at me until I figure it out. Hoping someone else maybe had a similar problem and figured out a fix.

Thanks,

-z
Zander42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 05:23 PM   #2
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Turms your way was based on GWX files so I can't say it will work with LSH files.
Turms Your way also requires you edit the images as you want.
It does not use the standard emblems.
Old 03-10-17, 11:34 PM   #3
Zander42
Swabbie

Yeah, I get that. It was still worth a try either way, just in case there isn't a difference between GWX and LSH as far as how they handle the two different .dat files. Might be why it didn't work though.

No problem editing the graphics files, just so long as the game maps them in such a way that you can do that. When I edited the tga file in the NSS_Uboat7c.dat, I was able to figure out the proper placement of the emblem on the tga graphic. Problem was, that same area seems to be mapped to several other areas, so portions of warped emblem showed up in several other location on the conning tower. Also, a mirror image of the emblem would show up on the opposite side of the tower. Overall, the attempt was a mess.

Maybe someone with LSH experience know if this is a problem common with that mod.
Old 03-11-17, 01:58 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Zander42!After a twelve year silent run!since 2005!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander42
Interests: Sailing, messing about with boats.
Hey my mom grew up in Bridgeport CT and sailed on Long Island Sound too! I see your location: Milford CT... practically next door.... has quite a harbor for 'messing about with boats'. can always stand another real 'bootmesser'...imho

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 03-11-17 at 02:20 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-17, 12:02 PM   #5
Zander42
Swabbie

Yeah, Milford is not too bad. My boat is somewhere in that picture I'm sure, unless it was taken last summer. Spent 3 months sailing Nova Scotia and Maine.

I've sailed from Halifax to the Florida Keys and across the Atlantic and I have to say that the Long Island Sound is one of the best places to sail anywhere. I've heard the Caribbean is nice with the trades always blowing, but I haven't sailed down there. Yet.

Here's S/V Argyle in Port Mouton, N.S. last year.

Last edited by Zander42; 03-11-17 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-11-17, 12:10 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

The pic's from 2006. What kind of boat?

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 03-11-17, 12:27 PM   #7
Zander42
Swabbie

Oh, in 2006 I didn't have her yet, not in the summer anyway.

1975 Downeaster 38.

Requires a LOT of 'messing about' to keep her in shape. Replacing the spreaders right now.

What kind of boat is yours?
Old 03-11-17, 01:26 PM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

OH NICE! <luv the 'cutter rig' two jibs!'Mine' is my neighbor's heavily refurbished (new sails, rudder, Teak-work and winches ) 25' Catalina, built in '78. At age 66 I'm 'the kid' on the boat so I'm essentially the crew and the really good looking one too-obviously! I prefer not to own, as my home in earthquake country is wor$e than a boat: new kitchen, furnace, and the waterheater this year alone!. Fortunately my cousin manages a boat yard in nearby Richmond so the haulout/hull repaint will be at my family rate. Our other crew(71) a true man-of-the-sea lives on his Hunter(25 years) in our marina and the Captain(70), my neighbor, and I grew up in MN and Michigan sailing on Lake Superior, lesser lakes (I taught sailing in '69 at a Y camp) and Lake Michigan. We sail every week in the narrow ship-channel Carquinez Strait off the Napa River/Mare Island in the north San Francisco Bay: winds at 25 knots and swells at 4' occasionally; tides with the current river flow/flood closely monitored generally add 6 knots either way. A real workout for a 15 HP Nisson outboard! The roller 150% jib is a godsend for single-handing! ...while I attend to more... 'important duties'! 'chief steward'> our old liveaboard(grog-ration cup in hand) has done a TransPac to Hawaii and Mexico and knows all! He's the starboard 'grinder' whilst I man the portside on our new $700!! jib winches when happily asea!

Old 03-11-17, 02:18 PM   #9
Andrewsdad
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 80

Salute, Aktungbby!!!

My brother is one of the sailing instructors at Tradewinds Sailing Club in Richmond. Perhaps you have passed in the bay !!!

AD
Andrewsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-17, 02:36 PM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

^AYE that! I only enter the 'iron triangle' of Richmond https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Triangle,_Richmond,_California heavily armed. Three banks along MacDonald Ave occasionally 'require my attention'. But if your brother manned a booth at any of the boat shows at Jackson Square over the last four years, I probably met him already! I already have my ticket for April's show!.My cousin, a hobie-cat racer of national renown-knows the rule book by heart-sold boats at one of the Marinas at Richmond's safer west-end and my cousin kayaks daily from her 41' Ketch Kulani (which I've helped paint the bottom) to her marina job. Her hubby has his captains' Federal papers a convenience when licensing their old boat.

Old 03-11-17, 02:49 PM   #11
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome Back To The Subsim Community > Zander42
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Highly Recommended SH3 > LIVING SILENT HUNTER III EDITION 2015 Mega Mod > 99.99% Stable > Full Tutorials And Much More In My Signature
Steam Conversion SH3 Installation Instructions By BL!ITZKR!EG
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 10:24 PM   #12
Zander42
Swabbie

Thanks for the welcome.

I probably will install LSH3 2015 at some point. Hesitant to do so right now since I'm in the a career. I don't play SH3 all the time, so it's taking me a looong time to get through a career. Started this one in 2014. Trying to play a long career, spanning the whole war. Just moved from a Type IIA to the VIIC in August, 1940. That's when I noticed the emblem not showing up on the conning tower.
Old 03-24-17, 09:37 PM   #13
Zander42
Swabbie

Updating the thread just in case any one else has this problem (stated in the OP). This isn't likely since it seems to have something to do with LSH3 5.0, but here's a brief summary of what I found.

It appears that there was some sort of conflict between the file group 'Turm7c_5_hd.xxx' and how ever the game places emblems on the turm.

To find this out, I moved all of the Turm7c_x files and started the game. With this modification the appropriate emblem was visible in game. I then added back in each file group Turm7c_1x then started the game. Emblem still visible, then 7c_2, etc. Up until I added back in Turm7c_5_hd.x. When I did this the emblem dissapeared again. Removing '5' and adding in '6, 7, and, 8' also yielded a configuration where the emblem was visible.

So, something is going on with one of the Turm7c_5 files that is keeping the emblems from showing up in LSH3 5.0 (and 5.1, no new Turm files are installed with 5.1).

I know that Turm7c_5_hd.x is the turm for a /41 controlled by AI. Because of this, I'm not sure what would happen if one of those boats happened by while the appropriate turm files were missing. Might a crash potential.

It is possible that the issue was caused by something that I tweaked somewhere along the line. When I uninstalled LSH3 5.0 (back to vanilla) I got consistent CTD at the initial start up screen. I did the re-install dance (Thank you BL!TZKR!EG and THEBERBSTER for the guides, big help), and on a fresh install, the emblems showed up normally. So, it could be a conflict within LSH3 5.0 or something I did.

In any case, I figured with a fresh install, I'd give LSH3 2015 + H.Sie's mods a try and see if I could get my existing career (that started in 2014 with 5.1) to work with them.

Turns out it wasn't too hard. Had to do a little bit of a dance to make it work. The indexes for the flotillas are changed so I had to tweak the numbers in the career and career_0 files, but then every thing seemed fine. The emblems are showing up normally as well.

-Cheers,

z

Tags
emblems, emblems not showing, emblems not working, type vii emblems