SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-07-10, 05:51 PM   #196
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrgn View Post
Any thoughts on these changes before release?

Version 1.5

Changed:

-Changed the the highlighted torpedo information text to reflect changes in range.

-Added changes to torpedo specifications:

--------------------
Wow these changes sound really good. Can't wait to try it out.

Will we need to be in Port to enable it even if we are currently running previous version of same MOD?

Do these new changes MOD any of the
Data\UPCDataGE\UPCUnitsData\<blah blah>.upc files or are the changes limited to .SIM and Menu.txt files?

Also, does this MOD incorporate the Flak Gunner Aiming FIX? Like done in MOD Funelsmoke_Planes_Sounds_by_AOTDMadMax?

P.S. How is your Mega-MOD coming along?

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire

Last edited by TheBeast; 06-07-10 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 06:27 PM   #197
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
Wow these changes sound really good. Can't wait to try it out.

Will we need to be in Port to enable it even if we are currently running previous version of same MOD?

Do these new changes MOD any of the
Data\UPCDataGE\UPCUnitsData\<blah blah>.upc files or are the changes limited to .SIM and Menu.txt files?

Also, does this MOD incorporate the Flak Gunner Aiming FIX? Like done in MOD Funelsmoke_Planes_Sounds_by_AOTDMadMax?

P.S. How is your Mega-MOD coming along?
To insure it installs properly you should install before a new patrol yes.

It will change the \data\UPCDataGE\UPCLocalization\UPCLocalization.ts r

No FLAK gunner aiming fix in this mod.

Hardly a mega mod, I will leave that to the pros. If anything its a compilation of fine mods with some additional exclusive features.
ddrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 08:54 PM   #198
TheBeast
The Old Man

I just realised that my Sonar is not functioning while I am surfaced after installing this MOD.

This defeats the purpose of the latest Sonar Upgrade I added moving the Hydrophone Microphones from the deck of the Sub to the keel just so I can use the Sonar while Surfaced. This Sonar upgrade also as expected, disabled tracking Sonar Contacts at short range while submerged as the Sub hull begins to block the sound source as the target travels over the sub.

So, my question is: What do I have to do to get the Sonar working correctly.

Old 06-07-10, 09:23 PM   #199
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

I'm not sure it was intended to be used on the surface as the range would put the sub right in front of a target and it would be fired upon, especially during the day. The sonar had weak range too, of only 4000m tops. Also Germans hardly used sonar, it was thought to would give away the submarines position.

Also for clarity, sonar is not the hydrophone, two different types of sensors although both found on the same unit. I get confused when one calls hydrophones sonar. In fact sonar is the Allies tech, Sondergerat and Sonderapparat is the German names for German active sound location sets.

If you speaking about the hydrophone, then yes, it has been disabled above water along with being able to use the "sonar". Its quite easy to dive for an accurate sound or sonar reading, and it most cases I am sure that's how sound checks were performed, e.g, Dive to 25 m etc, all stop, hydrophone check.

If you would to change this yourself to enable sound checks in on the surface, open your Goblin Editor and go to data/objects/sensors/ open the Uboot_Sensors.gr2 and merge it with the Uboot_Sensors.sim. You need to edit each hydrophone set in the .sim from MaxSensorHeight -10 to MaxSensorHeight 0.

It is an interesting question though, is that how keel sets were intended to be used? All stop on the surface for sound checks? Is that an additional option to the standard dive, all stop, hydrophone check?

By the way if you enable hydrophones on the surface you will get reports from your sound guy going at full speed surfaced, which is extremely lame.
Old 06-07-10, 10:52 PM   #200
TheBeast
The Old Man

Quote:
I'm not sure it was intended to be used on the surface as the range would put the sub right in front of a target and it would be fired upon, especially during the day. The sonar had weak range too, of only 4000m tops. Also Germans hardly used sonar, it was thought to would give away the submarines position.

Also for clarity, sonar is not the hydrophone, two different types of sensors although both found on the same unit. I get confused when one calls hydrophones sonar. In fact sonar is the Allies tech, Sondergerat and Sonderapparat is the German names for German active sound location sets.

If you speaking about the hydrophone, then yes, it has been disabled above water along with being able to use the "sonar". Its quite easy to dive for an accurate sound or sonar reading, and it most cases I am sure that's how sound checks were performed, e.g, Dive to 25 m etc, all stop, hydrophone check.

If you would to change this yourself to enable sound checks in on the surface, open your Goblin Editor and go to data/objects/sensors/ open the Uboot_Sensors.gr2 and merge it with the Uboot_Sensors.sim. You need to edit each hydrophone set in the .sim from MaxSensorHeight -10 to MaxSensorHeight 0.

It is an interesting question though, is that how keel sets were intended to be used? All stop on the surface for sound checks? Is that an additional option to the standard dive, all stop, hydrophone check?

By the way if you enable hydrophones on the surface you will get reports from your sound guy going at full speed surfaced, which is extremely lame.
I was not a Sonar operator when I was in the Military but the Military did provide me some training in this area as some of the Weapons I worked with utilized sonar tech.
There were 2 types of Sonar used during WWII. Direct listening known as Passive Sonar(Hydrophone), Echo Ranging(Ping) known as Active Sonar, and Sonar Communications or ULF (not used during WWII),

It doesn't matter what you call it, or what language you use to identify with it, it is just a matter if basic physics.

To simply disable Passive Sonar (Hydrophone) while surface, just is not right. Yes, while surfaced, Passive Sonar may not be as efficient and the while the functional detection range reduced. The fact remains that if the Hydrophone Head(s) are located below the ships waterline, Passive Sonar could still be used while surfaced.

Destroyers are surface vessels using both Active and Passive Sonar attached to the keel and it appears their Sonar worked very well for those surface ships during WWII. There are many factors that contribute to the Sonar's over effectiveness, Listening Ships Speed, Environment Water Depth, Storm Conditions(Wave Chop, Wind), Aquatic Life etc.
If I am Surface moving at 10-12 Knots on a calm deep sea, Passive Sonar could easily detect a moving merchant vessel several Miles away, much further then visual detection range.

Thank you for the info to restore the Passive Sonar ability while surfaced. I only plan to restore the 1 Sonar type in question. As for Active Sonar, that has been broken since release.

I agree with you about the lame Sonarman reports while moving at high speed. Personally, my boat moves at 10-12 knots on the surface all the time or until until I do pick up a contact on Radar/Sonar or I receive a Radio Report on a near by convoy. Then I use Ludicrous Speed Ahead to move into firing Position.

Old 06-07-10, 11:03 PM   #201
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
Thank you for the info to restore the Passive Sonar ability while surfaced. I only plan to restore the 1 Sonar type in question. As for Active Sonar, that has been broken since release.
what's broke with the active sonar? Where's the button to push to make it 'work'?
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 12:44 AM   #202
TheBeast
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
what's broke with the active sonar? Where's the button to push to make it 'work'?
NOTE: As DDRGN pointed out, German Submarine may not have had Active Sonar ability. The Sonar UI doesn't even have the gear used to measure the Ping to Echo delay other then using the stop watch. It isn't present anywhere in the Sonar Room. There is a box on the wall at the 1st Officers Desk that looks simular to the equipement needed to measure the time delay.

I haven't ever been able to get the "Precise Range to Target" to work, ever.
Expectation: While using the Sonar Station, I manually aim the Sonar at a contact, click the "Precise Range to Target" button and the Sonar sends a Ping listening for the Return Echo to determine fairly Precise Target Range.
Actual: While using the Sonar Station, I aim the Sonar at a contact, click the "Precise Range to Target" button and I receive message "No Target Selected".
It seem I must have visual contact and tracking lock to even get Estimate Range to Target to work. The Sonar Estimate Range to Target should not require any visual or tracking lock. It should key on what I am manually tracking using the Passive Sonar.
Also, there is no Sonarman command to Estimate Target Speed. The Sonar station should be able to estimate target speed by counting srew RPM but I guess you can just go by the Sonar Contact Report if you know the term definitions in the Contacts.cfg i.e. Stopped, Slow, Medium, Fast, Very Fast.
Quote:
Merchant=0.1,8,12,35 ;[kts]
Warship=0.1,8,19,35 ;[kts] including uboats
Air=0.1,8,19,35 ;[kts]
Convoy=0.1,8,12,35 ;[kts]
Also, the tolerance for manual tracking a target is Zero(0) degree +/-. The Tolerance should be something like +/- 2-3 degree. Currently, if I am not dead on, I am unable to manually identify any sound contacts type (Merchant or Warship). The time is take to click the button to identify the target the target is now not lined up correctly.

On a good note. I was able to restore the Balkon Gerat surface functionality leaving the other Hydrophone models disable on the surface.

Last edited by TheBeast; 06-08-10 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Added Note about active sonar
Old 06-08-10, 11:31 AM   #203
oscar19681
Admiral

Downloads: 119
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylania View Post
Remove the sub folder from Env 2.2 of course. Env 2.2 is a weather and sea mod, there's really no reason it should have had a submarine movement part to it. UHS is all about sub movement, so removing its submarine folder would critically break the mod.
I checked and there is no submarine folder in the inviremental mod 2.2 but i have reinstalled UHS and after that the invirmental mod 2.x and now my sub looks like a low rider again! The sadle tank are under water it just looks silly. I installed when in port. Please somebody help!

Jim Morrison 1943-1971

Last edited by oscar19681; 06-08-10 at 12:03 PM.
oscar19681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 02:43 PM   #204
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar19681 View Post
I checked and there is no submarine folder in the inviremental mod 2.2 but i have reinstalled UHS and after that the invirmental mod 2.x and now my sub looks like a low rider again! The sadle tank are under water it just looks silly. I installed when in port. Please somebody help!
Hi Oscar, sounds like you have mod soup spill over.

I suggest a clean install, save your saves or start fresh, even a new campaign with all your preferred mods from the beginning.

Go step by step when installing the 2.2 env mod, check the folders and make sure the sub folder is deleted from that mod.

Go for a clean install, takes 15 mins.
Old 06-08-10, 02:52 PM   #205
oscar19681
Admiral

but i dont understand almost everybody has this problem and i have a mod spill over? The problem go,s away if i remove the sub folder from your mod so we should be able to find out what mod its conflicting with.

Jim Morrison 1943-1971
Old 06-08-10, 02:59 PM   #206
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Sorry, I can only test so many mod configurations. I know when I start a fresh single player mission, I have no problems. Most of the guys with the low riding, decks awash problem solved it by returning to port to install, or starting a new campaign.
Old 06-08-10, 03:11 PM   #207
oscar19681
Admiral

But i did install in port. Ill give it a shot in a single mission and see if this helps.

Jim Morrison 1943-1971
Old 06-09-10, 03:11 AM   #208
Zedi
Sea Lord

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 2

Not only install it in the port, but in the bunk.. like, End Patrol.

Question.. my radar is always off, except ports.. is this normal? Even if I switch it on manually, it turns off after a few seconds. Any idea why?
Zedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 09:25 AM   #209
oscar19681
Admiral

I did install in the bunker. I finished patrol went to port ended patrol and then you are in the bunker next to the u-boat. Then i installed the mod.

Jim Morrison 1943-1971
Old 06-09-10, 09:36 AM   #210
oscar19681
Admiral

Quote:
Hi Oscar, sounds like you have mod soup spill over.

I suggest a clean install, save your saves or start fresh, even a new campaign with all your preferred mods from the beginning.

Go step by step when installing the 2.2 env mod, check the folders and make sure the sub folder is deleted from that mod.

Go for a clean install, takes 15 mins.
but thats the whole problem. There AINT no submarine folder with 2.2 env mod! Thats what i,m been trying to tell you. I cannot remove it if it aint there! I checked the downloaded files to and no submarine folder there either.

Jim Morrison 1943-1971

Tags
favorite