Old 11-15-18, 02:48 AM   #5926
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
It's a corker!
...and I've just learned a new term. Thanks.
Old 11-15-18, 06:24 AM   #5927
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

If you say that someone or something is a corker, you mean that they are very good.

something or somebody striking or outstanding

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di...english/corker

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 11-15-18, 06:42 AM   #5928
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I've read that one. It's a corker!
Steve must have some Brit blood in him.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 11-15-18, 07:56 AM   #5929
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Yeah, true.

True enough but there are plenty of things that they share, including a healthy sense of American Nationalism. (I add the American prefix for our European friends whose own definition of nationalism seems to be somewhat different and far more dark than our own).

Speaking of Europeans, TR was quite bellicose when it came to European interference on our side of the pond, he did as much as anyone to start war with Spain and he exceeded his authority as assistant SecNav to give marching orders to Admiral Dewey vastly expanding the war from just Cuba to the Philippines as well. He also ran roughshod over the sovereignty of another nation in order to get the Panama Canal built.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
Old 11-15-18, 10:29 AM   #5930
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Interesting article on what the breakup of the American states might look like.
Quote:

Let’s just admit that this arranged marriage isn’t really working anymore, is it? The partisan dynamic in Washington may have changed, but our dysfunctional, codependent relationship is still the same. The midterm results have shown that Democrats have become even more a party of cities and upscale suburbs whose votes are inefficiently packed into dense geographies, Republicans one of exurbs and rural areas overrepresented in the Senate. The new Congress will be more ideologically divided than any before it, according to a scoring system developed by Stanford political scientist Adam Bonica: the Republicans more conservative, the Democrats more liberal.
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/...-split-up.html

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
Old 11-15-18, 12:42 PM   #5931
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
True enough but there are plenty of things that they share, including a healthy sense of American Nationalism. (I add the American prefix for our European friends whose own definition of nationalism seems to be somewhat different and far more dark than our own).

Speaking of Europeans, TR was quite bellicose when it came to European interference on our side of the pond, he did as much as anyone to start war with Spain and he exceeded his authority as assistant SecNav to give marching orders to Admiral Dewey vastly expanding the war from just Cuba to the Philippines as well. He also ran roughshod over the sovereignty of another nation in order to get the Panama Canal built.
OK, that's very true, Teddy was an unapologetic nationalist. That element they do share.
Old 11-15-18, 12:47 PM   #5932
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Interesting article on what the breakup of the American states might look like.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/...-split-up.html
If we could split, I would support that even if it was difficult for my side. I would much rather prefer challenges avoiding poverty than being in a blue state totalitarian government.

Your article reminds me of this

https://newrepublic.com/article/1409...mp-red-america

The author clearly is trying to make it sound like us poor red States couldn't make it without the Metropolitan centers. I sure would be willing to find out. And I would say to the author of that article, hope you can feed yourself add extract all the fuel you need from the ground without us
Old 11-15-18, 12:51 PM   #5933
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:

Some would think Nationalism is a four letter word.
Old 11-15-18, 01:36 PM   #5934
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
OK, that's very true, Teddy was an unapologetic nationalist. That element they do share.
These were all states at that time - especially the old feudalist states of Europe.
Th. Roosevelt acted and reacted foreign policy in the spirit of the time then common.
This alone has brought the US to the world stage.

But what I find much more important - Th. Roosevelt has smashed for the benefit of ordinary people such exploitation companies such as Standard-Oil (Rockefeller).

He has created an environmental policy and social measures for the common man, which made America really big first and could benefit until the late 60s.

Does this sound like a sissy like Trump?

Old 11-15-18, 02:03 PM   #5935
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleiente View Post
These were all states at that time - especially the old feudalist states of Europe.
Th. Roosevelt acted and reacted foreign policy in the spirit of the time then common.
This alone has brought the US to the world stage.

But what I find much more important - Th. Roosevelt has smashed for the benefit of ordinary people such exploitation companies such as Standard-Oil (Rockefeller).

He has created an environmental policy and social measures for the common man, which made America really big first and could benefit until the late 60s.

Does this sound like a sissy like Trump?
See August ... Bleiente reads ... you put him down too soon.

You can't say that Neal and Steve don't read cause you respect them.
You should apologize for being rude.

As for Roosevelt reading a book before breakfast everyday ... I read one a month
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 11-15-18, 02:12 PM   #5936
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Steve must have some Brit blood in him.
My great-great-great-great-grandfather James Bradfield, living in Fredericksburg, Virginia in 1785, is listed as coming from South Wales, as is his wife Elizabeth Lorentz.

So, yeah.
Old 11-15-18, 02:30 PM   #5937
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Let’s just admit that this arranged marriage isn’t really working anymore, is it? The partisan dynamic in Washington may have changed, but our dysfunctional, codependent relationship is still the same. The midterm results have shown that Democrats have become even more a party of cities and upscale suburbs whose votes are inefficiently packed into dense geographies, Republicans one of exurbs and rural areas overrepresented in the Senate. The new Congress will be more ideologically divided than any before it, according to a scoring system developed by Stanford political scientist Adam Bonica: the Republicans more conservative, the Democrats more liberal.
yet more navel gazing... that is not a U.S. only problem, but a worldwide trend.

you look at every election, whether U.S., Canada, UK, France, etc., liberal parties always do better in urban areas and conservative parties always do better in rural areas. Splitting up the country is NOT the answer, trying to fix your electoral system is.

The big problem IMHO is the permanent election, Congress is elected every two years where the norm in every other country is four years, so Congress never has time to legislate and Congressmen spend all their time campaigning or raising funds for the next Campaign.

With a 4 year Parliament, you can have 2.5-3 years of actual governing followed by 1-1.5 years of positioning for the next election so something can actually get done.
Old 11-15-18, 02:50 PM   #5938
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
Splitting up the country is NOT the answer, trying to fix your electoral system is.
Fix or fix?
Old 11-15-18, 04:57 PM   #5939
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Fix or fix?

Depends on which side of the aisle you're on.

Old 11-15-18, 05:00 PM   #5940
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Ya know, when I posted the Truman clip, my intention wasn't to directly compare Truman to Trump, but, rather, as an example of a President who deemed the responsibility to honor the actions of those who serve (Truman, himself was a WWI veteran who saw action) as greater than personal comfort or expediency. Over the decades, I have seen newspaper and TV reports showing other Presidents attending various memorials to US war dead ,or for those who served, under poor weather conditions and who did not shirk their responsibilities as Commanders-In-Chief to suitably express the gratitude of the nation. It just happened I was very familiar with the Truman situation and it was the easiest clip to find...

If you want to find out why Truman was so determined to personally honor the 442nd, I suggest reading about Truman's own military record:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_...an#World_War_I

Well, as long as we're making comparisons, it should be noted Truman kept a sign on his desk saying: "The Buck Stops Here":

https://www.trumanlibrary.org/buckstop.htm

If Trump had a sign on his desk it would probably go something like:

Quote:

There's no buck here.

And, if there is, its a fake buck made up by the lying media.

And if they come looking for the buck, its all just a witch hunt.

And I don't know any buck.

And if I did, it only a low level buck I didn't interact with.

Why aren't they looking for Obama's buck?

For Trump, the Buck Never Stops Here --

https://washingtonmonthly.com/2017/0...er-stops-here/

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 11-15-18 at 06:18 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
biden, clinton, election, harris, obama, politics, trump, twitter