SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-07-09, 04:30 AM   #271
U2222
Sparky

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy View Post
ARGH!!!

Okay, so got the steam version to work, however there seems to be an issue with the steam version and Win7, one that likely cant be fixed...

It does not support widescreen, something to do with DX11 apparently...

This is extremely frustrating, I have not had any problems getting any "older" games to run on Win7. Looks like I either have to go back to WinXP or hang up my SH3 hat... which would be quite sad...
I tried loading SH3 star force disk onto vista 64 six months ago - no joy.
So now I want to try again - just a couple of questions...
I've trawled through these posts but, is there a sure and tested method of getting my star force disc to install / run on vista 64?

I've thought about trying a star force free download from Steam.
Has anybody else got this method to work on visa 64?
Can the Steam install be modded - GWX etc?
Thanks for any advice
U2222
U2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 07:21 AM   #272
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

I suggest you forget about starforce; get the new, patched to 1.4b, starforce free DVD for $9.99 and install it outside of your program files.
Old 09-07-09, 07:56 AM   #273
U2222
Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish1958 View Post
I suggest you forget about starforce; get the new, patched to 1.4b, starforce free DVD for $9.99 and install it outside of your program files.
Many thanks for the advice.
I bought a copy (new) from Amazon UK last week and it turned up with star force loaded - old stock or what!
There appears to be no way when ordering on line to ensure the copy is new version / 1.4b patched.
Does the new copy have any identification on the cover etc to distinguish it from the star force version?
Regards
U2222

Last edited by U2222; 09-07-09 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-14-09, 08:39 AM   #274
cawimmer430
Torpedoman

Downloads: 3

After reading through most of the comments and complaints here, I must say that I am seriously depressed.

My Acer Aspire laptop had a HD failure and I lost everything including my career in SH3. This computer was using Windows Vista 32bit.

Now I have a new computer (HP Pavilion) with Windows Vista 64bit and needless to say everything I've tried with SH3 doesn't seem to work.

The interesting thing is that SH3 wouldn't work on my older Acer either at first try. Then I installed a game called Sniper Elite - which wouldn't work either. However, Sniper Elite, being somehow connected to Star Force, brought me to the website which allowed to download the software I needed to make this game work on my computer. After that I figured I'd give SH3 another try and to my amazement it worked!

Now, I did the exact same thing on my new HP Pavilion - Sniper Elite works just fine - but SH3 doesn't. I've installed SH3 and then wanted to play it and I keep a getting message that this game won't function because it requires Windows 95/98/ME, NT, 2000 or XP to properly run. I've tried different compatibilities and administrator functions and nothing works.

I'm seriously annoyed and enraged about this. Why don't these guys release a patch for Windows Vista 64bit? How hard can that be?

And while they're at it how about a proper patch that fixes this god damn stupid save game issue in SH3.
cawimmer430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-09, 09:10 AM   #275
cawimmer430
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanfoe View Post
I have SH3 working with Windows 7 x64...

I've spent several hours trying to get SH3 to work under Windows 7 x64 (Ultimate - build 7100). I'm not sure which version of the DVD I have; I bought it in June 2006 in the UK. It has the serial number on the disk, rather than the back of the manual, but installation hasn't asked for it.

I have been getting a getting a crash in msvcr71.dll right after the red progress bar completed and before the main menu.

I have tried both updating and removing the starforce drivers, but the programs tell me no SF drivers are installed.

Anyway this is what I did:

1) Install the game by running setup.exe on the DVD normally (not as admin). I installed into D:\Games\SilentHunterIII; not sure if that's significant. I told it to also install the 'Direct X 9 codecs', which previously I had not; also not sure if that was significant. I cancelled when it was time to install the ubisoft updater utility (I forget its name now).

2) Install silent_hunter_3_dvd_1.4b_emea.exe as admin (right click > Run as Administrator). If you don't run as admin you will get the common complaint about de_menu.txt (and en_menu.txt) being an unknown version.

3) Install the No-CD patch. I saved the 5 files it replaced to a sub-folder of SH3, so I could restore in case I needed to.

4) Ran the game as admin. I have exited the game and I can also run it as 'me' (not admin) as well

5) Also: No need to use 'compatibility mode' on the shortcut or program properties - run it straight and not as admin.

I hope this helps some others with similar systems and problems!

Cheers,
Andy

I just followed these instructions to the letter. The game won't work on my computer with Vista 64bit.

I still keep getting the message that it requires Windows 95/98/ME, NT, 2000 or XP to properly run.

Someone please stop me from committing suicide!
Old 09-14-09, 10:43 AM   #276
cawimmer430
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso791 View Post
Hi all
After a week and a half of struggle I have SHIII finally working. The game works just fine on Vista 64-bit with no problems. Thanks for all your guys help.

Jan
How did you get it to work? I really need some help here. I'm on the verge of killing somebody!
Old 09-14-09, 10:49 AM   #277
U2222
Sparky

Sometimes you just have to face the facts.
It appears that without a star force free version you cannot load on vista 64.
You could try Steam which is star force free but there are apparently some issues there as well.
I gave up and loaded it on another pc with XP32.
Not my preferred choice but at least I'm at sea again.
Don't worry, only another 6 months until Vista 64 compatable SHV!!!

A Big Thank You To All The Modders Who Make
Sub Simming Such A Deep Experience

Last edited by U2222; 09-14-09 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-14-09, 10:56 AM   #278
cawimmer430
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2222 View Post
Sometimes you just have to face the facts.
It appears that without a star force free version you cannot load on vista 64.
I gave up and loaded it on another pc with XP32.
Not my preferred choice but at least I'm at sea again.
Don't worry, only another 6 months until Vista 64 compatable SHV!!!

SH V looks great, but SH III has charms of its own.

Anyone else here feel that Ubisoft has been really unhelpful regarding SH3? No patch to fix that unreliable save game issue, no patch for Windows Vista 64 etc.
Old 09-14-09, 11:54 AM   #279
trojanfoe
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawimmer430 View Post

SH V looks great, but SH III has charms of its own.

Anyone else here feel that Ubisoft has been really unhelpful regarding SH3? No patch to fix that unreliable save game issue, no patch for Windows Vista 64 etc.
Did you try the 'Starforce Free' version? Either using a No-CD patch or getting the Steam version? Also newer DVD versions come without protection, but there seems no reliable way of knowing you are getting one...

I have SH3 and SH4 working under Windows 7 x64 - it's certainly possible.
Old 09-14-09, 12:05 PM   #280
U2222
Sparky

I agree.
With the SH3 'cult' following (250 viewing SH3 forums on subsim as I write), one would think Ubisoft would extend the game life to embrace newer OS.
I mean, Vista 64 is now 3 years old and was on the cards when SH3 was first released.
So by now many gamers out there will have upgraded their equipment and run on Vista 64.

I am still uncertain if the SF free version is available in UK, or if this is limited to the US.
Certainly my Amazon purchase the other week of another new copy was a waste of time.

Old 09-14-09, 03:21 PM   #281
cawimmer430
Torpedoman

Quote:
Did you try the 'Starforce Free' version? Either using a No-CD patch or getting the Steam version? Also newer DVD versions come without protection, but there seems no reliable way of knowing you are getting one...

I have SH3 and SH4 working under Windows 7 x64 - it's certainly possible.
I might have to take the advice here and order the SH2-SH3 combo with the patched 1.4b version...if it's under $ 10.00 it's well worth ordering...

Here's my issue though. I have a functioning Star Force driver for Sniper Elite. Without this driver the game won't run on my new computer (or my older computer [Vista 32]). After I installed the SF driver on my old Vista 32 laptop SH3 worked. Here, on this new Vista 64, it doesn't. I'm at a loss of what to do. Aside from that I can't start the game because of the "You need Windows 95/98/ME etc." message.
Old 09-14-09, 03:54 PM   #282
U2222
Sparky

That's the point, Vista 32 and Win 7 seem to be ok (correct me if I'm wrong)
It's loading onto Vista 64 that causes the problem
Solution - buy pre patched 1.4 and star force free if you can get one, or download via steam.
Are there any issues with steam downloading?
If anybody has a workaround for vista 64 I would be grateful.

Old 09-15-09, 01:39 AM   #283
trojanfoe
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawimmer430 View Post
I might have to take the advice here and order the SH2-SH3 combo with the patched 1.4b version...if it's under $ 10.00 it's well worth ordering...

Here's my issue though. I have a functioning Star Force driver for Sniper Elite. Without this driver the game won't run on my new computer (or my older computer [Vista 32]). After I installed the SF driver on my old Vista 32 laptop SH3 worked. Here, on this new Vista 64, it doesn't. I'm at a loss of what to do. Aside from that I can't start the game because of the "You need Windows 95/98/ME etc." message.
You'd have to go the whole 'No-CD patch' for all starforce games I guess. This is not illegal if you own the games.
Old 09-15-09, 12:46 PM   #284
nerox
Bilge Rat

Default hi need help updating the game on vista64

greetings.im a new member of this lovely site. u r the true sim rockers.

im posting this mes.because im havin troubles with sh3 cant play it on my vista 64.

i bought my own game disc and i can play it on xp even on my laptop. but it doesnt work properly on vista64.

i tried every single patch from the web but it just doesnt work. it just says ''unknown version''i cant update my game. besides my mission editor doesnt work. when i double click on my editor, it just gives the classic error message.

i think if anyone shares his/her mission editor with its dll. with me ,they might work on my vista64.

what do u guyz think?
it would be great to share your ideas with me.

thanks

Last edited by nerox; 09-15-09 at 01:13 PM.
nerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 08:10 PM   #285
cawimmer430
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2222 View Post
That's the point, Vista 32 and Win 7 seem to be ok (correct me if I'm wrong)
It's loading onto Vista 64 that causes the problem
Solution - buy pre patched 1.4 and star force free if you can get one, or download via steam.
Are there any issues with steam downloading?
If anybody has a workaround for vista 64 I would be grateful.
Do you know where I could download this new version of Star Force? The one on my computer right now doesn't seem to do jack...

Quote:
You'd have to go the whole 'No-CD patch' for all starforce games I guess. This is not illegal if you own the games.
I actually downloaded the no CD patch (I do own a legal copy of the game) yesterday and the game still wouldn't work. I keep getting the usual "this game requires Windows 95/98/ME etc..." to run crap even after installing and uninstalling the game over and over again using different ideas presented in this thread. Nothing worked.

I'm at the point of screaming.

ALSO, does anyone else experience this when playing Silent Hunter III? When the game ran on my old laptop with Vista 32, my computer would just promptly shut down after about an hour or two of gaming - overheating issues. It's really frustrating that this crap keeps happening, especially since I have a well ventilated room.

A few weeks ago, when my old computer was still working, I actually played SH3 with the windows fully open - and ice cold air entered the room. I had to sit at my desk in a thick jacket and pants and heavy socks just to keep warm. And my POS computer still overheated and shut down as I played SH3. After that, it wouldn't start anymore and I eventually found out that my HD was busted. Thanks a lot SH3.

How the hell can a modern laptop, that should have no issues at all running SH3, keep overheating all the time when running this game!? This game supposedly wasn't even bringing the machine to its limits... This happened about seven times...